Snatching (power/tall/muscle/various snatches) - bad idea with shoulder issues?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So I'm considering adding snatches into my routine, but I have a partially torn labrum and slightly effected ROM / stability from a previous SLAP repair & tenodesis on the other side. Are snatches a bad idea for me?

Should I just start with low weight and keep working on stability/mobility?

As an aside: OH pressing isn't a problem for me in the low rep range. I can OH press 200#, but when I lower the weight and do say, 10 OH presses, for multiple sets, I sometimes get pain in my repaired side.

Balthazar

Awards
muscle snatch might be good to start with because it's a slower turn over combined with a little bit of pressing at the end. if you felt comfortable with that you could then try the tall snatch which more closely replicates the turn over and catch of the conventional snatch but with less weight because you're starting at the end of what would be the 2nd pull in the full or power snatch. if you try these assistance lifts they're only going to make you more confident and efficient in your form when you do try heavier weights with the snatch and power snatch. also if high repetition is a problem just do them like most o lifters do and stick to 5 reps or less. it will build your explosive power and if you do weights that are a little bit lighter you can keep your rest time down in between sets and gain the benefit from that too. also check out klokov presses, they're great for building stability in the shoulders for the overhead portion and are not really that taxing to the area they focus on.