Help me with my mass program!

CrazeInsanity

Awards
Hey guys. I recently started a new mass program similar to PHAT but more spread out. In a nutshell I alternate weeks with strength training and hypertrophy training. For my strength portion I do full body 3 times a week and for hypertrophy 5 day bro split with high volume. It's working pretty good for strength so far but I heard this type of training isint optimal for hypertrophy. I was reading articles that recommend focusing on one type of training at a time and now I'm having doubts because it does make sense to put all your focus on one goal and progress faster rather than two. So should I focus on one thing at a time or continue with my current program? Also what's worked best for you in gaining strength and size in the shortest amount of time.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
Alternating weekly compared to daily is pretty inferior due to the adaptations tend to lessen on a weekly basis. Honestly you can focus on both and progress them at the same time but it really does depend on your body type, genetics, diet, recovery modalities, etc.

CrazeInsanity

Awards
Thanks for your reply. The reason I was alternating weeks is because of frequency. I wanted high volume on my hypertrophy days and high frequency for strength days, so I couldint really make it work in one week. Also what program do you recommend?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Alternating weekly compared to daily is pretty inferior due to the adaptations tend to lessen on a weekly basis. Honestly you can focus on both and progress them at the same time but it really does depend on your body type, genetics, diet, recovery modalities, etc.
the success of programs like the cube where you do a 3 week cycle, rep work, max effort, then speed work, shows that you are wrong in this statement. hitting the 4 week mark for some can cause some lowering of past progress but that depends on other factors like food intake, sleep patterns, stress levels, and training age as well.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
I've found most success with either full body or upper lower body splits in which I use 1-2 power exercises a workout (bench, press, squat, deadlift) and then do volume hypertrophy work after. The strength work is heavily programmed and the work done after is based off fun and feel.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
the success of programs like the cube where you do a 3 week cycle, rep work, max effort, then speed work, shows that you are wrong in this statement. hitting the 4 week mark for some can cause some lowering of past progress but that depends on other factors like food intake, sleep patterns, stress levels, and training age as well.
Don't get me wrong, its not that you won't make progress, its just research is coming out thats show a DUP style training protocol is superior than a WUP program

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Don't get me wrong, its not that you won't make progress, its just research is coming out thats show a DUP style training protocol is superior than a WUP program
like this research:
http://anabolicminds.com/articles/the-best-workout-schedule-according-to-science-18748/

to summarize:
It was found that power was improved after the compound program (WUP), but not after the complex program. Strength and size were most improved from complex training (DUP).

if that is the case, i guess it depends on the goals. so for the OP, DUP should work.

Balthazar

Awards
if you're making good progress at building strength it will directly affect your hypertrophy work because eventually your weights for this work will go up too. if you're doing the same volume with more weight it's going to more effectively tear up your muscle tissue.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
A great man told me once - whatever you like the most is what will work the best - regardless of science - if you're not enjoying being in the gym - good luck making progress.