WHO has found the secret for training calves? please tell me

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
I'd really like to hear from any of you that were not genetically blessed with huge calves and actually had to work for them and figure out what works for you to build size.. has anybody actually gone from skinny calves to huge calves?

so, any success stories?? what was your exact method?

thanks and much appreciated

P.S. if it is too top secret to discuss you can just message me instead, lol

Connordcruz

Connordcruz

Awards
You don't train them.. Jk I have the same problem lately I have been training them every other day and I've noticed it works

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
You don't train them.. Jk I have the same problem lately I have been training them every other day and I've noticed it works
sucks man. i have been doing every 3 days myself but still stuck at the same weights on all calf exercises, i tried my routine only 2 days apart and i was still sore and i couldn't do as much weight :/

travwj

travwj

Awards
  • Established
sucks man. i have been doing every 3 days myself but still stuck at the same weights on all calf exercises, i tried my routine only 2 days apart and i was still sore and i couldn't do as much weight :/
You need weight obviously, but I think volume really helps. High reps, 3 times a week...IMO.

Connordcruz

Connordcruz

Awards
Well my weight for calves goes up its just getting them to grow is a bitch!! Lol

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
lol i know, every set i do is a drop set and often triple drop sets... GROW!!

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hardly train calves but I work them out on the stairs. :)

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
Calves are all genetic. Ever see Dennis wolfes calves. He's on grams of anabolic steroids and other drugs and he still has the tiniest calves. There is no cure for small calves. Don't expect to go from tiny calves to huge even with steroid use. If you're natural then yea it's just not going to happen. I've tried ****ing everything. The only time my calves got bigger was when I got fatter. True story. My calves are long compared to short and stubby. The longer calves that are high up have a much harder time growing. Look around on the web you can find some info pertaining to long vs short calves and how it effects muscle growth

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
lol, this isn't good news guys.. there has to be someone who came from nothing and got big

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
lol, this isn't good news guys.. there has to be someone who came from nothing and got big
Lol you think you have it bad you should see my calves. Just like my dads except he doesn't work out like a frickin freight train

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Connordcruz

Connordcruz

Awards
Nice point Jeremy Dennis Wolf does have small calves!

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey puccah do you wear high heels much, as I reckon girls that wear heels a lot have decent calves, due to the position there calves are in while wearing them. Kinda like being on tip toe all the time.
No, only once in a while when I go out. I can't walk in them so I avoid wearing them. Honestly, it's genetics for me. I'll always lose fat in my lower before my upper.

white_lie

Awards
  • Established
Like everyone, I've tried heaps of things to make them grow. Training them everyday for 6 months did little to nothing so now I stick with the 2 or 3 days a week, alternating sitting and standing raises.
All the way down, pause at the neutral/flat spot then all the way up and hold for 1-2 secs with a slow negative back down. Doing them like this makes them sore for 3-4 days afterwards, especially when doing them seated so it must be doing something?
Can go pretty heavy when standing, 1.5-2x bw for 10-20 reps

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Eat more, lift heavy and high reps. You can beat ur calves every day but if you don't got the food coming in they won't grow. I think of calves like my arms, 10lbs = 1inch

cyrix

cyrix

Awards
I train calves twice a week on 3 different lifts standing Calf raise with a barbell 3x30+ seated Calf raise 4x30+ and leg press Calf raise 3 sets to failure + 10 sec rest and failure again each set. I've done this for about 6 months now and have gotten decent results.

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
seems like everybody is doing a similar routine to me :/ gonna try lowering weight in hopes for a better contraction

bert45

bert45

Banned
Awards
I suffered from pelican leg syndrome ( tiny calves) I blast them 4x a week 1 week extremely high reps low weight following week low reps heavy weight.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
My success has come from frequency, and constantly switching it up between high weight low reps and vise versa. I hit calves probably 3-5 days a week for like 5-20 min each time. Some times circuit training and other times drop sets and other times still traditional 10x3. Now I have calves that's went from looking like a flamingos legs to now more of a small chihuahua lol.
No buy really the don't look nearly as comical as when I only hit them once a week. I also suffer from high insertion points so I have to do more seated stuff than standing

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Genetics play a role, but hard work always pays off. I grew mine from 15" weaklings to 18.5" by continual work and stress on them. I train them 2 days a week alternating days between very heavy seat and standing and very high rep (40 per set) training. On a 3rd day, I jump rope and they'll get blasted with biking.

Now, you may not be able to change the inherent shape of your calves as gastrocnemius is where you will see the primary growth, and your lower soleus going into your achilles may not see nearly as much.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Matt that's your reply for everything.