Program Critique

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So I've been running the following PPL plan for a little bit and I just wanted some criticism. I'm bulking, so gaining the most mass is top priority, with strength being second. I shoot for 4 workouts a week, sometimes only get 3. I'm not opposed to a different routine if someone feels something else will work for me better. I have 6 workouts, 2 push, 2 pull and 2 lower and i just rotate through push1, pull1, lower1, etc. Also trying to focus on upper chest/shoulders and legs big time.

Push1
Incline bench 5x5
Db Shoulder press 4x10
Incline fly 4x12
Lateral raise 4x15
Skullcrushers 4x10

Push2
Standing BB press 5x5
Incline Db Bench 4x10
Reverse Db fly 3x15
Superset close bench 4x10 with cable prressdowns 4x15

Pull1
Deadlift 5x5
Bb row 4x8
Lat pulldown 4x10
Preacher curl 4x10
Reverse machine fly 3x15

Pull2
Hang clean 5x3
Weighted pullup 4x8-10
Machine iso row 4x10
Tri set face pulls 4x15, v bar pulldown 4x15, Db hammer curl 4x15

Lower1
Squat 5x5
Romanian DL 4x10
Front squat 4x10
Calf raise 4x20

Lower2
Squat 5x5
Leg press 4x12
Tri set ham curls 3x15, Db lunge 3x15, standing calf raise 3x20

I really need to keep my workouts to 1 hour max bc I hit the gym before work. Sorry for the long post, would appreciate any feedback!

Khazima

Khazima

Awards
First i'd recommend taking out deadlifts on pull days, since that will negatively effect your leg day the next day. Do them on leg days, especially since if you think about the bio-mechanics of a deadlift, it's a leg/lower back exercise, and your legs/lower back get worked a lot more on leg days than they do on back days. Unless you have a few days after deadlifts before you'll be squatting, then i'd recommend that.

As for the routine, it looks fine. Quite minimalistic and due to this you should be putting a lot of intensity into each set. If you can fit more volume in, i'd recommend that, ie more benching, more rowing and more delt isolation.

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the input.. I'll swap the back squats on one of the leg days for deadlifts. If I can, i add in whatever extra volume i can at the end of the workout, but usually with my morning workouts I only have about an hour before i have to get to work. I work in NYC so i commute by train. I take the earliest train i can into the city so i can lift, and even with taking the earliest train I have about an hour of gym time before work.

Khazima

Khazima

Awards
Thanks for the input.. I'll swap the back squats on one of the leg days for deadlifts. If I can, i add in whatever extra volume i can at the end of the workout, but usually with my morning workouts I only have about an hour before i have to get to work. I work in NYC so i commute by train. I take the earliest train i can into the city so i can lift, and even with taking the earliest train I have about an hour of gym time before work.
At least your dedicated!

Still do the back squats, especially if your focus is bringing up your legs. If you look up jonnie canditos 6 week strength training program, you'll see the type of leg day i'm referring to. First time i ran that i added 22lb to my squat and size to my legs (didn't measure).

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sounds good i just looked that up and may just use the lower body workouts from him as my lower days and keep my upper days the same.