hamstring troubles??

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
I have tried romanian deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts, and goodmornings (all with barbells and with dumbbells) and every time I do I get the same result: I hardly feel anything in my hamstrings and feel it all in my lower back, a painful feeling.. this is when doing the correct form as I have checked again and again

I think it may just have something to do with my structure, I also lack the mobility to squat ass to grass

anyways the movements that I do feel a contraction in my hamstrings are: lying leg curls, glute ham raises, seated leg curls, and standing leg curls..

so my question is can I build complete hamstrings with just these movements or are RDL's a must? I want to be able to do them..I can't imagine that I'm the only person to have this problem.. I swear it can't be poor form on my part because I have checked my form again and again.. it seems to be a structural issue or mobility issue or both.. anyways I'm open to any advice??

much appreciated

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Do you have videos of yourself doing Romanian deads? I always feel them in my hams, and I believe it's the one exercise that has helped my hams grow.

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
i don't have video because my phone is a potato, but i'll see what i can do

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
your lower back could just be that weak.

another tip on those to allow the hammies to work harder, keep the weight in as close to the body as you can and stick your butt so far back you feel like you are going to fall back. start practicing with light DB's like 20lbs and do romainian's that way. go down slow and explode upwards. do it that way till you get your form right to feel it in the hammies. then you can carry that over to all other exercises.

you could also do low box, wide stance, dynamic effort paused squats. that messes up the hammies for days.

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
your lower back could just be that weak.

another tip on those to allow the hammies to work harder, keep the weight in as close to the body as you can and stick your butt so far back you feel like you are going to fall back. start practicing with light DB's like 20lbs and do romainian's that way. go down slow and explode upwards. do it that way till you get your form right to feel it in the hammies. then you can carry that over to all other exercises.

you could also do low box, wide stance, dynamic effort paused squats. that messes up the hammies for days.

I also have a "butt wink" issue when going past parallel in squats (wide stance) so I only go to parallel which makes my squats much more quad dominant

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZjBgYpmd7U

hey guys I just watched this vid of phil heath's form on SLDL's , listen to what he says... I think I agree with him, I tried it with just bodyweight and it feels good in hams and lower back feels good, gonna see how it goes with weights..

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZjBgYpmd7U

hey guys I just watched this vid of phil heath's form on SLDL's , listen to what he says... I think I agree with him, I tried it with just bodyweight and it feels good in hams and lower back feels good, gonna see how it goes with weights..
he pushes his butt back...........

and for squats to be quad dominant you would either need to keep your hips straight over your feet or only do a quarter squat, and even then with your hips not going back at all.

clayface91

clayface91

Awards
he pushes his butt back...........

and for squats to be quad dominant you would either need to keep your hips straight over your feet or only do a quarter squat, and even then with your hips not going back at all.

Dominant: more important, powerful, or successful than most or all others

I said quad dominant, not that the hams weren't getting worked at all, just a lot more than the hams... especially in my case with my quads being stronger than my hamstrings