Effective training split?

jathan_howe

Awards
I've always heard not to change your training regiment often and to stick to one for between 8-12wks minimum. Our highschool weight lifting coach has ours' changing every week and restarts it each month. Here's how it looks:
Week 1- 3×3
Week 2- 5x5
Week 3- 5/4/3/2/1
Week 4- 10/8/6 on bench, incline bench, & squat and 4/4/2 on deads and powerclean.
I was wondering how effective this would be for strength and size gains as it switches between routines for both each week. I'm steadily progressing but that isn't saying much because I'm well within my first year of training still so gains will come rapidly for now. Thanks for any answers!

DotW

DotW

Awards
What he's doing is what Doc Stoppani calls micro-cycles. Each week, you're targeting a different type of muscle fiber. There's fast and slow, type a and b muscle fibers.

I can't say I've seen much, in regards to mass gains. Strength is a whole other story. All strength gains I've seen over the past two years have been from incorporating micro-cycles intermittently.

Khazima

Khazima

Awards
It's a very solid strength training microcycle, works towards a peak week after a super-accumulation phase and then a deload/recovery week from heavy loads with higher reps and back to a small phase of building muscle.

It's weekly undulating periodization, potentially one of the most effective training style for strength gains. Size gains will come with that, maybe even optimally since you'll be able to load the muscle more on those higher rep weeks.