Is narcissism the secret to staying motivated?

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
I sat back and thought about this today. Many people who do not workout, lack narcissism. People who care about their physique and obsess over it are referred to as narcissists or have narcissistic qualities and personalities. That would include myself. Therefor they get off on improving their body image. Non narcissists do not. Thoughts on this?

VWMeatHead

VWMeatHead

Awards
My take:

Yes and no.

While many of us may obsess over our physique (thus displaying narcissistic behaviour), some strive to improve for the sake of imrpovement. Succeed for the sake of success. It is a personal challenge, and competition with one's self.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I sat back and thought about this today. Many people who do not workout, lack narcissism. People who care about their physique and obsess over it are referred to as narcissists or have narcissistic qualities and personalities. That would include myself. Therefor they get off on improving their body image. Non narcissists do not. Thoughts on this?
I agree.. Everyone that I know,and including me who exercise 5-7 times a week are all Narcissist..

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm just an a**hole who trains not because I want to, but because this stupid voice in my head won't leave me the F alone until I throw some weights around.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not for everyone. I'm honestly not into myself and stay motivated because I truly enjoy the lifestyle and working hard.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
I am after looking and feeling my best. I mean, who doesn't? Without health everything else is ruined.

But I don't obsess over it like I used to. It's important to have a variety of things to be passionate about in life..

Parad0x

Parad0x

Awards
  • Established
I am a narcissist, in a way, as well. I mean, most narcissists have a head bigger than Mr. Mackey, though sometimes this isn't true. I personally obsess over my body in a way that I want to get as strong and lean as I can so that I can inspire my kids and others to be all that they can be. My drive in the gym actually comes from deep seated hatred and anger directed inwards for my lack of control over a few choice gains-killing habits and foods. Idk what everyone else's moto is, but that's mine.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Narcissism? No. It is the daily challenge. I do brutal stuff because it is a mental and physical challenge.

I always say we were beautiful when young and fit and no exercise was necessary then.[before the couch potato era] Now that was they heyday of narcissism.-a phase the very immature at life pass through.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's not Narcissism that drives me - it's anger! Anger that all my friends and family are slowly leaving me due to health issues! I lost my Mom when she was 45 and my Dad when he was 63 because they simply were not concerned with health. Without your health you really have NOTHING!
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1444044854.839347.jpg

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's not Narcissism that drives me - it's anger! Anger that all my friends and family are slowly leaving me due to health issues! I lost my Mom when she was 45 and my Dad when he was 63 because they simply were not concerned with health. Without your health you really have NOTHING!
View attachment 124610
Watched 10 questions for the Dalai Lama yesterday. Pretty awesome! :)

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For me it's not narcissism.
Midlife crisis comes to mind and the refusal to look as my friends do, as they age. All of them are walking like zombies, hunched, with shoulders forward. None of them could do a chin up, even if it was to save their life. Basically, I want to look outside- how I feel inside, still young.
I'm idolizing Silvester Stallone for how he looks at his age (not for his movies).

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm idolizing Silvester Stallone for how he looks at his age (not for his movies).
I actually just had a Rambo/Rocky marathon over the weekend and watched most of the movies again lol

The book that was the inspiration for the first Rambo movie is pretty amazing/crazy/intense. I've gotta add it to my reading list soon.

[video=youtube;RmN8N8-KsDQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmN8N8-KsDQ[/video]

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just don't know any other way. I've been lifting and competing in things for so long that it is just part of what I do, like eating or sleeping. I have to be active or I go stir crazy.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree. For me it's more of an outlet. If I'm not active I lose my mind. I've been involved with sports since I was 3 (started skiing). Started competitive ski racing/training at around 8. Basically was born into an athletic family. 2 Olympians and a pro hockey player (both sides of my fam) so that was that. But yes I like to look good too, won't deny it, who doesn't.

CJNator

Awards
I'm fairly empathic and I love psychology as a hobby(still learning). There are different types of narcissism and they can mix. Most narcissists and anyone with a personality disorder will lie so you won't get a legitimate answer in the internet. I'm not claiming any here is one but the likeliness that no one here is one is unlikely, also being one isn't a bad thing; its just a personality disorder brought a pone by our parents, consumerism, and well there are a ton of ways one can become one.

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
The definition of a narcissist requires the individual to have extreme deep seeded insecurities. You do not need to be narcissistic to be motivated. I am ridiculously motivated and I don't stand around all day looking at myself in the mirror. If you can't track progress without appearing vain then there's something else going on there. Interestingly enough most people start working out because they are extremely insecure. That coupled with steroid use might amplify a narcissistic image due to the artificial confidence. But to be a narcissist you have to be more insecure than the average person and much better at hiding that insecurity than the average person

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
People on steroids are the biggest effn narcissists...

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
I don't know but would you like to see how good I look?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
baxtecal

baxtecal

Awards
  • Established
I'm no narcissists but I am very much about self improvement and giving my all in the glory of God no matter what I'm doing. Narcissist is what is corrupting our world, it's making competition between people which shouldn't never be the case. Love, help, push each other.

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
I workout to live longer and to get laid more often. Not sure if that is narcissistic or not, but it's the truth. Nobody wants to phuck a fat guy.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
I workout in the gym to judge my physique when I stand in front of the mirror. I am very hard on myself. I feel that the reason I go to the gym is to improve my physique over time. The more improvement I am making shows that I am doing the right things. If I don't see improvement in areas that I feel I should, then I change up my routine and go from there. I don't treat this as a hobby, I treat it as a lifestyle. Which includes proper rest and nutrition. Staying away from alcohol as much as possible. I'll have a glass of red wine here and there to reward myself and plus its good for your body in moderation. I don't drink sweet wine, only dry reds.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I workout in the gym to judge my physique when I stand in front of the mirror. I am very hard on myself. I feel that the reason I go to the gym is to improve my physique over time. The more improvement I am making shows that I am doing the right things. If I don't see improvement in areas that I feel I should, then I change up my routine and go from there. I don't treat this as a hobby, I treat it as a lifestyle. Which includes proper rest and nutrition. Staying away from alcohol as much as possible. I'll have a glass of red wine here and there to reward myself and plus its good for your body in moderation. I don't drink sweet wine, only dry reds.
The outside needs to match the inside. Many of us who have lost weight battle with this. It doesn't matter how much you've improved on the outside, if your mind is not right, you'll never be good enough.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
if your mind is not right, you'll never be good enough.
This is so true on various fronts. So many people are never happy enough with their bodies/themselves, it's a legitimate problem. But also, most people who are extremely vain have ****ty personalities.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You just don't get it, but you will when you crash and burn trying to prove to everyone that you're better than them.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
I do get it, thanks. If I didn't I would have quit already.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No, you don't. It's deeper than just looking good on the outside. If you got it then you wouldn't have to talk sh*# about people just to make yourself feel better.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
I workout to live longer and to get laid more often. Not sure if that is narcissistic or not, but it's the truth. Nobody wants to phuck a fat guy.
Dad bod!? lol

DotW

DotW

Awards

Same here. I have a lot of things I'm bitter about. One of which is being married to a woman who is repulsed by me. I did some stupid sh*t about ten years ago and it destroyed our lovelife. I've been trying to bring her back ever since.

The good news is that my son can't get enough of how big I'm getting and my strength. There's nothing I can't do in his eyes and that's as awarding as it gets.