Why would anyone want to be a casual lifter?

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Since day one, with anything I have been involved in, I put my heart into it. Basketball, track, golfing, even work. So when I got involved in bodybuilding, I have put as much effort as I possibly can to be as good as I can be. Researching, reading, talking to seasoned lifters on how to be better. Going to the gym 6 days per week and having a solid diet. If you are gonna be good you have to have passion for what you want to succeed in. I see quite a few guys out there who unfortunately think that lifting a day or two a week or every other week with no structure is going to be productive. These guys also will go to the gym after having some drinks at the bar or whatever an hour or two before. Are they just ignorant to this or what? Why even waste your time? Let's just say they look the same now as they did 5 years ago, just with more facial hair. No noticeable gains if any. Why even join a gym if that's how you are going to be?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You tend to worry about others a whole lot. Almost every one of your posts is discussing other people. Why not concentrate on yourself a bit more and you may find yourself being more productive than you probably really are.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
Some ppl just enjoy the gym like a hobby, and other ppl are addicted, like you, me, and a lot of others on this site, don't worry about the ppl that don't take it seriously they just make us look that much better

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
It's not even about being a hobby. Going a few times per month at most ain't gonna get results. May as well pick their nose. Do they actually think going to the gym here and there is going to bring results? This is not fishing.

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
No they don't expect to look like a body builder they go every now and then cause they like it and they can post it to social media #gymlife haha

VWMeatHead

VWMeatHead

Awards
What zcol94 said lol...

#fitfam#eatcleantraindirty#swolepartners#blahblahblah.

Lol

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I go just to stare at hot guys. :truth:

fastneutron

Awards
Honestly, I can't speak for others and I don't know what your work and/or school schedule is. I know a few guys who would like go to the gym more often, if they had the time. I myself work full time but still use to go to the gym 5 days a week, but after getting married and having a baby (10 month old), it restricted my gym time down to 3 days/week max. Does that mean I'm not serious about it? No, I love to go to the gym and I wish I had more time to do so, but I have other obligations. I still eat healthy, take my supps, and read the latest studies on training techniques and nutrition (thanks AM forum!).

Don't judge others unless you know their situation. They might not have the time to dedicate to a full on program in the gym.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
^ 3 days a week is still enough!

For some people, anything is better than nothing, and it makes them feel better about themselves so they keep doing what little they do.

Being casual about it all comes down to lack of discipline though (for most people). A lot of people simply can't commit to things very well and lack motivation/discipline. This comes down mostly to smart planning and preparation. People have more time than they give themselves credit for. If they did an audit of each hour of their week, I'm sure most people could find an additional 10 hours of time that's unaccounted for.

fastneutron

Awards
^ 3 days a week is still enough!

For some people, anything is better than nothing, and it makes them feel better about themselves so they keep doing what little they do.

Being casual about it all comes down to lack of discipline though (for most people). A lot of people simply can't commit to things very well and lack motivation/discipline. This comes down mostly to smart planning and preparation. People have more time than they give themselves credit for. If they did an audit of each hour of their week, I'm sure most people could find an additional 10 hours of time that's unaccounted for.
3 days is barely enough for me. There are weeks I go 2 times, which really sucks and I hate that.

I agree that there are people who have gym-commitment issues. I see those at the gym as well. They go for a month or two and then suddenly reduce it by half or don't come at all. They stop and go, stop and go. Every gym will have those type of people.

What I was really referring to was those that routinely come to the gym, but only a couple days a week. They are dedicated to go to the gym, but might not have the time. I also agree that if we look at our schedules, we could always find a couple of extra hours a week to go to gym, but like I said, I try not to judge others because I don't know what their obligations are.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Who cares what people do and don't do. I'm no better than the girl who just started training last week and the guy who's been training more than 20 years is not better than me. At the end of the day, we started our journeys for ourselves and at different times. Some will reach the finish line and some will not. Just focus on yourself and live the best life you possibly could.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
3 days is barely enough for me. There are weeks I go 2 times, which really sucks and I hate that.
I've recently joined a gym that opened a block away from my apartment, so I'm always there at least 5 days a week now, even when I get very busy. In the past, there's been periods of time where my life is intensely busy, so I had to cut down gym time to 3 days a week. Barely enough, but still enough time to get great gains and some good training in. I would switch to a 3x/week fullbody routine during those times. Squat/bench/rows/oly lifts and then very minor accessory work, all within an hour each session.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Who cares what people do and don't do. I'm no better than the girl who just started training last week and the guy who's been training more than 20 years is not better than me. At the end of the day, we started our journeys for ourselves and at different times. Some will reach the finish line and some will not. Just focus on yourself and live the best life you possibly could.
Everyone's got their own story, struggle and journey. Definitely a good practice not to judge others. I do however push my friends and dish out plenty of tough love though lol

jvandy50

Awards
could be stress relief or help them with a physical job.

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
I've actually had some of the best strength gains of my life on a 3 day full body split.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Some of you guys are bein too hard on OP.

I totally get what he's saying. Why bother going to the gym (or doing anything in life for that matter) if you're going to half-ass it?

Either commit to something 100% or don't bother doing it.

Unless people are after mediocre results, then by all means, don't put the effort in.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards

I totally get what he's saying. Why bother going to the gym (or doing anything in life for that matter) if you're going to half-ass it?

Unless people are after mediocre results, then by all means, don't put the effort in.
Right on. That's how champions are born. Do you think Michael Jordan wanted to just be a good college or pro basketball player? **** no. He wanted to be the best. That's the mindset true winners have!

"Oh I think I'll just go to the gym, but other than that I'll just do what I want to do."

**** no, that's not how its done. 50 % doesn't get you anywhere.

The mediocre mindset is what creates quitters and not winners. I can guarantee you that those people you see in the beginning of the year that quit after two months, do not have the winning mindset. Not only do they go to the gym and play on their phone instead of focusing, but they also don't do the extra work it takes. Such as commiting to a solid diet plan and getting enough sleep. Many of these people aka quitters, do not change their lifestyle accordingly to their goals. That is why they get discouraged and end up back at square one after a short period of time not making progress. They don't want it bad enough. They do not have the EYE of the TIGER.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What is the one saying by some smart guy? Oh yeah-

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.”
― Socrates

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
The thing that I think you are missing OP, is that progress and success in the gym is subjective. To you, success in the gym may be building a champion bodybuilder tier physique but to someone else they may just want to get in a little bit better shape. You're taking it too seriously. Not every person is in the gym to develop this "champion" mindset.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Please just fcukin' stop. We get it, you're in freakin' "BEAST" mode. We've all been there, questioning why people even train if they're not as dedicated. Well, you'll see once you get your ego in check that we all have different goals.

6 years ago, I started training because I was sick, overweight, and couldn't get my a** off the couch.
2 years ago, I wanted to be strong as fcuk so I got into powerlifting.
Now, I lift to just fcukin lift.
People change, priorities change, and goals change.
Since you think you're so much better than the "mediocre" people, post your progress pics on here.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It is like the story of the old bull and the young bull are sitting atop a hill look down at their gorgeous young heifers grazing in the valley and the young bull says......

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It is like the story of the old bull and the young bull are sitting atop a hill look down at their gorgeous young heifers grazing in the valley and the young bull says......
Dad, I'm ghey...

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Alright you guys want to see how hard I have worked? I'll start with my before and after pics.

Mind you I started working out in September of 2013. This is my progress in less than two years. Im very proud I must say.

Steve obese.jpg

Steve and Michelle 5.jpg

Photo 3.JPG

Steve and Michelle 7.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Which now makes all your posts even more odd. You obviously have made a good transformation and are new to the lifting lifestyle, so why are you so insecure and needing to constantly talk about others and their goals. You should be proud of yourself and stop coming across as a childish douche because it only takes away from what you've accomplished and now you have a reputation here.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Im not trying to make people feel badly. Sorry I came off like a douche. I am a very nice guy overall and sometimes I do believe in tough love. I am guilty of having the mentality of "If I can do it, so can anyone else." Because I guess I don't think I am better than anyone and that's why I come off the way I do. Thanks by the way for the kind words about my transformation. I started my weight loss journey in September of 2013 and have only been lifting weights since April of 2014. From Sept of 13 till I started lifting all I did was cardio to cut the fat off of me that I was carrying around.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alright you guys want to see how hard I have worked? I'll start with my before and after pics.

Mind you I started working out in September of 2013. This is my progress in less than two years. Im very proud I must say.
So you're an expert on others' lifestyle choices based on the last 25 months of your life, as opposed to your poor choices of your 30+ years. Sounds about right.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
So you're an expert on others' lifestyle choices based on the last 25 months of your life, as opposed to your poor choices of your 30+ years. Sounds about right.
Nope. Just feel strongly that people should commit 100 % if they do something. That's all I am saying here. I think its great that people want to workout but I do feel strongly that they would get better results if they put in more effort and didn't quit so fast.

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
you spent the better part of your life being casual, just ask yourself why would anyone.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Ok fair enough, yes I did. But once I started my new lifestyle, I never quit, and I have stuck with it. I have given 100%. Can't take that away from me or the other people who have done the same. Which includes many of you. I hope all of you have a wonderful day today.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I'm just going to go ahead and stop you here. This is an illogical argument.

I haven't been to the gym in two weeks. Does that mean I'm not committed, dedicated, and am seeking mediocre results?

Or does it mean I'm spending 12-13 hours a day at school studying for mid terms and prepping outlines? Maybe it means on weekends I have seminars and trainings. Maybe I have mediation and mock trial competitions that require a huge portion of time. Maybe I have a note and comment assignment for my journal - a writing assignment thats completely new to me. Not to mention, maybe I'm trying to find a new apartment because my lease is up at the end of the year. Maybe.

Some of you are being incredibly judgmental because someone doesn't have the same goals as you in the gym. You can't just assume everyone in the gym wants to spend hours at the gym, spend hundreds on supplements, and get big. You also can't assume that because someone doesn't go to the gym as much as you that they aren't dedicated. Further, the fact you want to talk **** about someone who is at least in the gym when they can be is mind boggling. Instead of congratulating them and promoting the culture, you're being the human equivalent of Planet Fitness (in reverse.)

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Woody what if you had the time to be in the gym everyday? But then instead blew it off?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sigh. Who freaking cares, it's not your life?! Come talk to us when you have been in the game as long as many of us and stop forgetting where you spent the last 30+ years of your life in slob mode. You have a newb mentality and feel you are better than everyone. It's gross and takes away from everything you've done.

LovingtoLift

LovingtoLift

Banned
Awards
Sigh. Who freaking cares, it's not your life?! Come talk to us when you have been in the game as long as many of us and stop forgetting where you spent the last 30+ years of your life in slob mode. You have a newb mentality and feel you are better than everyone. It's gross and takes away from everything you've done.
Fair enough fine. You are lucky I am a humble person deep down inside cause I could continue to go on and on about this in this thread but Im not going to, as long as others don't give me any fuel to add to the fire. Take care Kisaj :)

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Since day one, with anything I have been involved in, I put my heart into it. Basketball, track, golfing, even work. So when I got involved in bodybuilding, I have put as much effort as I possibly can to be as good as I can be. Researching, reading, talking to seasoned lifters on how to be better. Going to the gym 6 days per week and having a solid diet. If you are gonna be good you have to have passion for what you want to succeed in. I see quite a few guys out there who unfortunately think that lifting a day or two a week or every other week with no structure is going to be productive. These guys also will go to the gym after having some drinks at the bar or whatever an hour or two before. Are they just ignorant to this or what? Why even waste your time? Let's just say they look the same now as they did 5 years ago, just with more facial hair. No noticeable gains if any. Why even join a gym if that's how you are going to be?
These same people probably look at folks like you and think "that guy should get a life".

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
I'm just going to go ahead and stop you here. This is an illogical argument.

I haven't been to the gym in two weeks. Does that mean I'm not committed, dedicated, and am seeking mediocre results?

Or does it mean I'm spending 12-13 hours a day at school studying for mid terms and prepping outlines? Maybe it means on weekends I have seminars and trainings. Maybe I have mediation and mock trial competitions that require a huge portion of time. Maybe I have a note and comment assignment for my journal - a writing assignment thats completely new to me. Not to mention, maybe I'm trying to find a new apartment because my lease is up at the end of the year. Maybe.

Some of you are being incredibly judgmental because someone doesn't have the same goals as you in the gym. You can't just assume everyone in the gym wants to spend hours at the gym, spend hundreds on supplements, and get big. You also can't assume that because someone doesn't go to the gym as much as you that they aren't dedicated. Further, the fact you want to talk **** about someone who is at least in the gym when they can be is mind boggling. Instead of congratulating them and promoting the culture, you're being the human equivalent of Planet Fitness (in reverse.)
You missed my point. To me it sounds like you're just at a time in your life when you have so many other productive things going on that you can't get to the gym as much as you want to. Nothing wrong with that at all.

However, I'll bet that when you do get to the gym, you crush your workouts and are focused on the task at hand.

This is much different from someone that DOES have the time, but blows off the gym to do other, non-productive things like going out drinking, playin video games, smoking weed, and so on. Then when they are at the gym, they half-ass their workouts, screw around on their phones, and don't take it that seriously.

The latter are the group of people me and the OP are referring to. Not the ones that wish they could be more dedicated but just have too much going on.

Those same people are the ones that get mediocre results with everything else in life too. Always crying about how they don't have enough money or how they hate their job or whatever, yet they don't realize that it's their mentality and lack of drive that holds them back in all of those areas.

Why does it bother me? Honestly I can't answer that. I guess I just hate to see people wasting away potential for trivial bullsh*t that doesn't even matter. Not saying everyone should aspire to be a bodybuilder, but just take some pride in your body, your health, and your life as a whole - you only get one chance.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi guys, what's going on?
Cliffs: New guy realizes how good it is for him to workout and turn flab to muscle and wonders why folks are not dedicated as well. Gang bang ensues. But moral basically is new guy does not yet realize once you are hard and fit you do not need to be a slave to the gym to maintain it.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Cliffs: New guy realizes how good it is for him to workout and turn flab to muscle and wonders why folks are not dedicated as well. Gang bang ensues. But moral basically is new guy does not yet realize once you are hard and fit you do not need to be a slave to the gym to maintain it.
Oh, now the other posts make more sense.

So.....is new guy on his high horse or are the endorphins just clouding common sense?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would vote for both. I recall what it was like at the beginning seeing those first year gains. And being amazed.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would vote for both. I recall what it was like at the beginning seeing those first year gains. And being amazed.
Yassssss!!! ????

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Man, I want to give you the benefit of the doubt because I don't know you. But I've seen two posts from you and the other talks about having a fall out with a friend. It seems like you may THINK you're being a good guy, but you come of as being very judgemental. I think you probably want to inspire people, but you can't do that unless you just be yourself and let them be themselves. You've made some great progress, but you should focus on the journey ahead of you more, not the journey you've already been through. You and I both have a long long way to go.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I particularly like how you talk about going all-out and being 100% and then use Michael Jordan as an example - your example should make you realize - everyone has their own path. You are not Michael Jordan. Neither am I, so don't take offense.

In a way, maybe the people going to the gym just to go are doing it because they just like it and they don't need results only ...the act itself is fun for them. Maybe some of them are misguided. It's hard to say for everyone.