Just back into lifting after injury

MBZ

Awards
This last couole of years I have been out of the gym due to back injury. I have 2 herniated discs at the L3/L4 and L5/S1 that were causing me a lot of problems and pain. I had stopped lifting entirely as the fist couple months I couldn't get out of bed without excruciating pain. I have now recovered to the point where I can move around and be pain free as long as I don't tweak it wrong.

I have recovered the go ahead to start working out again as long as I don't put my back at risk so no lifts that put much strain on the lumbar. No deadlifts or squats or leg presses are the obvious ones and I am researching which other lifts to avoid. I was told by my doctor that presses and machine work if done with light weight is a good place to start back up.

My question is this.. Is it even possible to build muscle using light weights? I hate the way my body has changed I used to lift and have a decent build back in the day. Now I lost most of the muscle and hang around 15% body fat. I am also on trt if that makes any difference. I have been researching proper diet for months in anticipation of getting back into the life style and believe I have a good understanding of what I need to be eating to accomplish my goals.

I guess I'm just curious as to whether I will be able to reach my goals using lighter weight and higher reps and if being on Testosterone will make it more possible to build muscle with lighter weight. This has been a very long and depressing road I've been on the last couple years, giving up lifting was really hard on me. I'm very excited to get back into it but honestly I'm feeling a little down that I can't lift heavy and don't know if I'll be able to make the progress I'm wanting.

Anyways thanks in advance for any input. Glad to be a part of the site!

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
my back is messed up for like 12 years now due to car accident.. i dont dead or press and my avy pic was from couple years ago, and i didnt even lift before the car accident, so yes you can.. but i got lucky with muscular legs genetically and dont want to work them much as it is because I like the V shape of the 80's bbers, not the x shape and horse legs we mostly see now, it wouldent take much to have them grow. i use mostly bench with dumbells for 80% of my workouts, bar bell a little bit, but i find that dumbells work better for chest and the rest of body over barbell

MBZ

Awards
Thanks for the response brother. Looking solid in the avi. If I could get back to half of that I would be stoked haha. It's inspiring to know that there are others out there with similar problems making it work though. Definitely gives me hope. Thanks again!

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
Extremely sorry to hear about the injury.

Honestly, as long as your training and nutrition are all periodized properly you can DEFINITELY transform your physique..it will most likely just take a slightly more attention to detail

MBZ

Awards
Thank you sir! It was difficult dealing with it but I am very glad to be on the mend and to have made as much progress healing as I have.

I've done a good bit of reading on the nutrition side of things but training is where I am lacking in knowledge. Back when I used to lift, I honestly did more strength training and got decent results lifting that way. But now that is out of the question so I'm not quite sure what kind of training will deliver results with my limitations.

What are some training options that I could look into that would be good for building a decent physique without risking my back by going too heavy?