Speed

ethan_wilde

ethan_wilde

Awards
Can i get some tips/advice on what helps gain speed and agility. Some say squat till death but others say quick cone work. When my season ends i may do a 4 days a week training schedule. Morning sessions sprint and agility work than pm sessions lift hard and heavy. Any exercise or running help or anything!

koltink

koltink

Awards
  • Established
Plyometrics helped me the most and also just sprinting. If you have access to a coach or someone who can work with your form that helps you be a much more efficient runner

koltink

koltink

Awards
  • Established
Jumps for height/distance
Bounding
Skipping
One legged hops

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
a stronger athlete is a better athlete. that is the job of a strength and conditioning coach. not to have someone balance on a ball with pink DBs in a crane pose.

then let your coach train the skill of your sport in practice. that will make you fast.

JSNeves

JSNeves

Awards
You cant do a ton of sprint/agility/skill work AND a bunch of weight training in the same week and progress for long in anything.

Sprint/agility work is going to stress the same systems as heavy/explosive weight training. Your best to schedule your training to emphisis your strength work with less emphisis on the other qualities in the begining of the off season and then moving more toward sport specific drills and conditioning as the season approaches (while shifting to maintaining strength with the weights through the end of the season)

Spending a bunch of time on speed and agility in the early off season isnt going to do you much good. Start by building the strength, then learn to use it with speed and agility work and finally sport specific training (practice-fall training camp) to bring it all together

Im a big fan of elitefts.com for football specific training ideas (lots of stuff there about plyiometrics there too if you look arohnd enough)