HW101 The Dream to be shredded!!

hw101

Awards
Today starts day 1!! This will be updated at least 3 days a week.

Stats
5'5 162 pounds lifting for 5 years but never followed any tip of nutrition plan.

Training
I will be following GVT style of training pushing as hard as I can everyday in the gym.

Supplements - with the dream to be shredded I will be taking a few supps to help along. Alpahmine 2 scoops a day 1 morning 1 preworkout. Finaflex max pump preworkout. Intra workout BCAA's.

Diet
I will be eating at maintenance
Morning- 1 shake, 1 cup greek yogurt, 2 slices wheat bread
3 hours later- 2 0z string cheese ,1 apple
lunch- 6oz lean meat ,1 cup brown rice 1 tbsp light mayo
3 hours later preworkout -1 shake, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1 large apple
post workout - 1 shake 40 grams of simple carb (most likely white bread)
dinner- 8 oz lean meat ,1 cup brown rice, 1 cup black beans, 2 cups greens, 1 tbsp salad dressing
befor bed- 1 shake ,1 tbsp peanut butter

Will post pic's asap.. Any tips are very welcome!!!!
Come help me along with my dream to be shredded!!!

dave39

dave39

Awards
  • Established
Good luck man. How long will you be logging for? Please don't let this be another log that starts and dies before completion. I hate seeing people do that..

hw101

Awards
I will be logging for quite a while . cant wait for the results to start. Thanks for being here , don't be afraid to offer help!!

dave39

dave39

Awards
  • Established
Awesome man :)
Keep the workouts intense and try to stay active throughout your days. You'll get out what you put in!

hw101

Awards
Work out today was arms . Planned on legs but got to the gym and they closed in 45 mins.

Db curls 10x10 20's going to 25's next workout
Dips 10x10 110 pounds going to 120 next workout
drop sets of machine curl 50 40 30 to failure
drop set of trii ext 80 70 60 to failure
10 mins of cardio all i had time for was a fun work out cant wait for leg tomorrow!!!

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Your calories seem like they are going to be awfully high for your goal based on the meal plan you laid out.

If your goal is getting shredded, you will want to eat below maintenance, not at it.

Drop your cals to bodyweight x 10-12 and go from there. Make sure protein is at least 1g/lb and possibly consider carb cycling.

Also, there's no need to eat 7-8 times a day. You will benefit more by eating 3-4 meals so that your insulin is not constantly elevated throughout the day and you will actually mobilize fats for energy.

Keep carbs very low until you workout, then try to get the majority of your carbs in around the workout window. The rest of the day stick to protein, vegetables, and a small amount of fat.

I don't know what time of the day you normally train, but from the looks of it, it's in the evening.

So breakfast can be something like eggs, meat, and veggies. Lunch can be a shake and a piece of fruit. Then don't eat anything until post-workout, but feel free to do BCAAs during your training if you feel like you need them.

After training is when you will eat your starchy carbs like rice and potatoes (with more protein). Then before bed, just do another serving of protein and veggies with a little fat.

hw101

Awards
Thanks for the input!! My cals are a tab bit high do to me being a construction worker. 8-10 hours a day. I'm none stop heavy lifting and moving so I burn more then the avg person. If I don't see a little change the first 2-3 weeks I will switch it up a little . Thanks for the advice.

hw101

Awards
Started the off well ! Love the boost alphamine gives in the morning . Legs today 10x10 squats can't wait .

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input!! My cals are a tab bit high do to me being a construction worker. 8-10 hours a day. I'm none stop heavy lifting and moving so I burn more then the avg person. If I don't see a little change the first 2-3 weeks I will switch it up a little . Thanks for the advice.
Ah okay, that makes sense then.

I would still try to structure your meals differently though. The fact that you're active at work all day makes it the perfect time to tap into fat stores.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Any tips on the structure??? New to this diet game.
Yeah I gave some ideas in my previous post.

Basically, you only need to be eating 3-4 times per day, not 7 like your initial diet plan has.

The whole notion of "eating every 2 hours" is completely unfounded, and in fact can be counter-productive, especially if losing fat is your goal. You don't want chronically elevated insulin levels (from constantly eating) when your goal is to mobilize fats for energy.

Keep the majority of your carbs around the workout window and stick to protein, vegetables, and light amounts of fat for the rest of the day.

hw101

Awards
Sweet thanks man will try !

Today's workout
Gvt legs

Squats 10x10
First 6 sets got 10x 160 last 4 only got 5 , hamstring cramped up bad. Superset with weight crunches .
20 mins Liss on bike level 7

hw101

Awards
I definitely can get used this alphamine In the morning !!! Today is just a cardio day 30-45 mins of steady state cardio .

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
I definitely can get used this alphamine In the morning !!! Today is just a cardio day 30-45 mins of steady state cardio .
Yeah Alphamine is sick. I just started using it a few weeks ago too and love it.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
Today starts day 1!! This will be updated at least 3 days a week.

Stats
5'5 162 pounds lifting for 5 years but never followed any tip of nutrition plan.

Training
I will be following GVT style of training pushing as hard as I can everyday in the gym.

Supplements - with the dream to be shredded I will be taking a few supps to help along. Alpahmine 2 scoops a day 1 morning 1 preworkout. Finaflex max pump preworkout. Intra workout BCAA's.

Diet
I will be eating at maintenance
Morning- 1 shake, 1 cup greek yogurt, 2 slices wheat bread
3 hours later- 2 0z string cheese ,1 apple
lunch- 6oz lean meat ,1 cup brown rice 1 tbsp light mayo
3 hours later preworkout -1 shake, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1 large apple
post workout - 1 shake 40 grams of simple carb (most likely white bread)
dinner- 8 oz lean meat ,1 cup brown rice, 1 cup black beans, 2 cups greens, 1 tbsp salad dressing
befor bed- 1 shake ,1 tbsp peanut butter

Will post pic's asap.. Any tips are very welcome!!!!
Come help me along with my dream to be shredded!!!
i highly rec researching "carb cycling for fatloss" ... but... i also highly rec 2-3 days off from gym a week for recovery. more muscle mass also means more calories burned and you are not fat so i would lean bulk with healthy diet and put on some lbs then with extra muscle down the road but a bit personally though.

hw101

Awards
Thanks I'll put in some study time asap. Also for now as stated above I will consume most carbs before and after my workout .

Today's workout was 30 mins liss and 15 mins foam rolling . Man I'm sore from those squats .

hw101

Awards
Heading to the gym now . Chest / back today . Bench press and pull ups gvt style , can't wait . Also only carbs are before and after work out for now on

hw101

Awards
Brutal workout !!
Bench 155 first 6 sets got all 10
Set 7 only got 6
Set 8 pushed out a solid 8 reps
Sets 9-10 6 reps each. 4020 tempo

60 secs after each set of bench press I did pull ups with bodyweight finished all 10 sets of 10 . Will add weight next workout

hw101

Awards
Any tips on a good meal replacement bar for once in a while ??

hw101

Awards
Today was arms/shoulders

10x10 barbell curls 50 pounds
10x10 over head ext 65 pounds
Tempo 4020 60 seconds after curls went to over head ext then 90 sec rest after that.

Shoulders
Rear delt flies 15 3x12
Front raise 15 3x12
Ended with 20 mins of liss cardio

hw101

Awards
Off day for the weights but not the cardio . 30 mins liss
I have a planned cheat meal for Sunday also

hw101

Awards
Anyone know the dose of green tea extract . Should I follow what the bottle says??

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Anyone know the dose of green tea extract . Should I follow what the bottle says??
Is it straight EGCG?

If so, 300mg or so. I have the NOW brand and it comes as 250mg so I just take one pill pre-workout.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Assuming it's just EGCG (the actual potent part of green tea), yes.

It's kinda confusing because you can buy either green tea pills, which is I believe the whole plant. Or you can buy straight EGCG, which are the catechins from the plant that have the benefits you're going for.

Green tea will have some EGCG in it, but not as much as if you buy straight EGCG.

What does your bottle say?

hw101

Awards
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1442152758.914737.jpg
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1442152772.248286.jpg

Looks like week one losing some water .lets see what this week brings

hw101

Awards
Today was legs

Yet again my hammy tightened so bad had to stop on set 7 .

After this happening two weeks straight I will be switching to leg press . Until I can find out why this is happening .

Other wise then that got 20 mins of cardio in. Can't wait to take pictures at the end of this week!!!

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Today was legs

Yet again my hammy tightened so bad had to stop on set 7 .

After this happening two weeks straight I will be switching to leg press . Until I can find out why this is happening .

Other wise then that got 20 mins of cardio in. Can't wait to take pictures at the end of this week!!!
Are you thoroughly warming up?

I've been having strange hamstring issues recently too when I'm doing leg curls, but it gets better if I back off on the weight and warm up more before getting into the heavy sets again.

hw101

Awards
I start every workout with agile 8. So I believe I am warming up the right way .

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
I start every workout with agile 8. So I believe I am warming up the right way .
Well I mean your actual warm up/ramp up sets for your exercises.

Like you're not doing agile 8 and then jumping right into your heavy sets for squats are you?

Start with the bar for 10 easy reps. Then throw 25s on each side and get 6-8. Then go to 135 for like 5....

You get the idea.

Start your actual work sets after you have ramped up to within 20 pounds or so of whatever the set is going to be.

As you get closer to your working set, drop the reps so you don't tire yourself out too much. Basically you just want to get the body used to moving up in weight.

hw101

Awards
Right after agile 8 I do almost identical of that warm up . Could just be the volume beating me up.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Right after agile 8 I do almost identical of that warm up . Could just be the volume beating me up.
Yeah 10 sets of 10 is brutal. I think my legs would say f*ck it after 5-6 sets as well.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I gave some ideas in my previous post.

Basically, you only need to be eating 3-4 times per day, not 7 like your initial diet plan has.

The whole notion of "eating every 2 hours" is completely unfounded, and in fact can be counter-productive, especially if losing fat is your goal. You don't want chronically elevated insulin levels (from constantly eating) when your goal is to mobilize fats for energy.

Keep the majority of your carbs around the workout window and stick to protein, vegetables, and light amounts of fat for the rest of the day.
Point on.

Not only because of chronically elevated insulin, but also because of mTOR refractory periods ranging 3-4 hours before another bolus of protein will elicit another mTOR spike.

hw101

Awards
Today was arm/shoulder day!!

10x10 barbell curls at 60pounds
10x10 tricep ext at 50 pounds
Got all 10 sets so will be going up next time I train arms.

3x12 at 15 pounds for front raise and lateral raises

hw101

Awards
Off day for me cardio only .
After this week I'll be moving away from gvt and going with 5/3/1 bbb. Not saying gvt isn't a great workout but 3 days a week just isn't enough for me. When I switch to 5/3/1 I will make this a much more detailed log.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Off day for me cardio only .
After this week I'll be moving away from gvt and going with 5/3/1 bbb. Not saying gvt isn't a great workout but 3 days a week just isn't enough for me. When I switch to 5/3/1 I will make this a much more detailed log.
5/3/1 is more fun anyway in my opinion. Any workout where you need to do 10 sets of the same damn exercise just gets excruciatingly boring.

hw101

Awards
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1442669429.210650.jpg

Def got leaner !! This Monday I start 5/3/1 lets get shredded

hw101

Awards
Today started 5/3/1 I'll write today's work tomorrow morning

hw101

Awards
So here we got new workout 5/3/1

Monday 9/21/15

Bench day
warm up #1 5x75 warm up #2 95x5 warm up #3 115x3

Working sets
set #1 125x5
set #2 140x5
set #3 160x5

bbb sets 5 sets of 10 reps at 95

added in a few others
Inline machine press 60 pounds 5x10 very slow and controlled reps
Tricep Extensions 50 pounds 5x10 very slow and controlled reps
To end it all 1 set of push ups until failure 15 mins of cardio

Diet has changed based on some of what you guys said.
I will be consuming 2200 cals a day , 177 grams of protein a day ,248 carbs a day and 68 grams of fat. most of the carbs will be based before and after my workout