Reverse pyramidal is optimal for strength?

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
Hi guys, I like to have a strength exercise at the beginning of myworkouts.
Let's say I'm doing bench press, here's how I plan it:
-First set is warmup, 50% weight of the first working set, 8-10reps
-Second is still warmup, 75% weight of the first working set, 6-8reps
-First working set 4res
-Second working set, -10%weight, 6reps
-Thirs working set, -10%weight of previous set, 8reps

As you can see I warmup as pyramidal then I go straight to reverse pyramidal. Each set 3mins rest.

I've noticed during my cutting almost 0 strength loss and I'm wondering if it could work well to increase my strength during bulking or if would it be better to make some changes or even to change technique (people suggesting pyramidal but I think once you hit your heaviest weight you're already exhausted).

baxtecal

baxtecal

Awards
  • Established
I highly recommend this! This is great for strength gains. throw in some isolation movements after and do drop sets on those.

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
Have a 3days split and is exactly what I'm doing! Found this MEGA training and was great for my cutting! Almost 0 strength loss

baxtecal

baxtecal

Awards
  • Established
I gained some strength on my cut with it, I was very impressed

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
I recently started using the same thing about 2 weeks ago. I do 4-6 reps, drop 10% for 6-8 reps, drop 10% again for 8-10 reps. I am currently cutting and am seeing no decrease in strength. I'm loving it so far. I use it for the first two movements each day. (I use p/p/l)

baxtecal

baxtecal

Awards
  • Established
I recently started using the same thing about 2 weeks ago. I do 4-6 reps, drop 10% for 6-8 reps, drop 10% again for 8-10 reps. I am currently cutting and am seeing no decrease in strength. I'm loving it so far. I use it for the first two movements each day. (I use p/p/l)
Nice, very similar to my experience with reverse pyramid

JSNeves

JSNeves

Awards
I think your really lacking warmup sets, like you said your doing this first movement for strength so base your warmups more on what strength athletes would use which is a lot more sets!

For example if your first working set is squating 405 doing some reps with 205 then 315 are not enough to get ready for a quality set with 405... After that your golden backoff sets or reverse pyramid is proven in studies for muscle growth and strength, and justbgood old school lifting

baxtecal

baxtecal

Awards
  • Established
I suggest what your doing, your the only one who knows if your ready for 405 or not. I do this same protocol and only do 2-3 warmup sets, after stretching

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
I usually do about 5 warm up sets. For example, if I were working up to 250 I would do:
45x10
95x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
Then hit my top set of 250

Qonix

Qonix

Awards
  • Established
I usually do about 5 warm up sets. For example, if I were working up to 250 I would do:
45x10
95x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
I think doing this way would exhaust me before my working set

white_lie

Awards
  • Established
45x10
95x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
That's essentially how I train and then do a drop set on the last, usually strip about 20% and knock out 10 reps, then the same again.
Have also kept my strength the same whilst cutting