Help me with core exercises

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Guys,

I have a bulging disc in l5-s1.

The docs said I need to smash my core and make it very strong to help.

I need the best core exercise possible to achieve this.

Thank you

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have 3 herniated discs.... My best advice is stay lean, the extra body fat softens up the core. So for me diet and exercise both are equally important. When I'm lean my back barely ever gives me problems... When my body fat gets over 15 % I notice it much more.

Hanging leg raises, wheel of death, oblique crunches inverted.... Those 3 are my favorite

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have 3 herniated discs.... My best advice is stay lean, the extra body fat softens up the core. So for me diet and exercise both are equally important. When I'm lean my back barely ever gives me problems... When my body fat gets over 15 % I notice it much more.

Hanging leg raises, wheel of death, oblique crunches inverted.... Those 3 are my favorite
Thanks for the reply

Wheel of death?

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Squatting is crucial for core strengthening. Also hanging leg raises are the king of ab exercises IMO.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Doesn't have to be with weight. High rep body squats can be therapeutic for back issues and strengthen the core as well. Seek advice from a PT to see if this is an option for you.

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Any other ideas ?

M.I.D

M.I.D

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Any other ideas ?

petepaz

Awards
yoga. f it doesn't fit you schedule then just take a few beginner classes and find the stretches/exercises that help you and just add them to your routine.
i had 1 disc herniated so bad it wrapped around the nerve. horrible pain for years. went through everything, PT, pills, and shots finally had the surgery and i am lifting again. no basketball (too much impact bothers the other two herniated discs. i went 5 years i couldn't lift...SUCKED! any way to start my work outs now i do about 20 -30 minutes of stretching and yoga exercises before i start lifting. as far as squatting i have squatted with light weight up to like 80-90lbs but i don't feel safe (and i have a smith machine) so i do wall squats start off with body weight and just hold a plate for weighted squats. i go up to 45lb plate and i do like 20 reps or so. had the back surgery February of 2014 and i have been lifting the past 4 months. listen it's never 100% but if you can go thought your everyday life without pain that's a win. main thing is you have to stretch and work out if you sit around it only gets worse...good luck

petepaz

Awards
COOL THANKS. I'LL CHECK IT OUT. AND HERE IS ANOTHER GOOD ONE THAT MIGHT HELP YOU.
THIS GUYS SPECIALIZES IN EXERCISES AFTER INJURY OR PAIN.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ab wheel is killer, hanging leg raises for sure too. Actually did a pilates class with the wife, and there are some definitely tough core exercises in there.