Favorite back exercise

Capt Awesome

Awards
What's your favorite back exercise? I'd say mine is the unsupported t-bar row. I can just feel it more than any other back exercise.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'd have to say my favs are the single arm bb rows, meadow rows, and dickersons.

digitalpimp

digitalpimp

Awards
  • Established
I'm really liking Dante rows and snatch grip rack pulls at the moment

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
back as in working the traps, lats, low back, etc?

Capt Awesome

Awards
back as in working the traps, lats, low back, etc?
Yeah, whatever you feel like commenting on. Just trying to spur some friendly conversations on what people have a personal preference for and what works for them. Needed a break from the "help! its my first cycle" and "fix my split" post if you know what I mean.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Seems the last 2 summers I have added a bunch of granite boulders to my landscaping at home.

Probably my favorite because it seems to work every last muscle, and at end of day yard looks great.

Hey, you said it could be anything lol.

Capt Awesome

Awards
Seems the last 2 summers I have added a bunch of granite boulders to my landscaping at home.

Probably my favorite because it seems to work every last muscle, and at end of day yard looks great.

Hey, you said it could be anything lol.
Lol! I like it!

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
Deadlifts and weighted pull ups immediately after. After that I can hear my back crack-like expanding-when stretching, at age 37!

Capt Awesome

Awards
Deadlifts and weighted pull ups immediately after. After that I can hear my back crack-like expanding-when stretching, at age 37!
I haven't done that in while. My grip always failed on me on the weighted pull ups after doing deads. Fun stuff though, I'm sure my chiropractor would approve. Lol!

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
I enjoy weighted chins, trying to bring them up n brings on the looks. Not many at all do them in my gym

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
I haven't done that in while. My grip always failed on me on the weighted pull ups after doing deads. Fun stuff though, I'm sure my chiropractor would approve. Lol!
I had the same issue with my grip until I use fat gripz in my routines. That made my grip much stronger.

If you have access to fat bar, even better

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
What's your favorite back exercise? I'd say mine is the unsupported t-bar row. I can just feel it more than any other back exercise.
When you do these when you are bringing in the bar,try to force the bar apart(pull outwards) and you will activate additional back muscles. You will not be able to do additional weight but good movement

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Weighted Chin Ups, Kayak Rows, Low Cable Rope Rows+Facepulls.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Revere wide grip barbell rows superset reverse grip lat pulldowns + 6caps x gels = back destroyed haha

digitalpimp

digitalpimp

Awards
  • Established
I've been enjoying this back exercise lately

[video=youtube;vOpbIbNj75w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOpbIbNj75w[/video]

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been enjoying this back exercise lately

[video=youtube;vOpbIbNj75w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOpbIbNj75w[/video]
I can't comment too much because I have never tried these but looks like a close grip lat pulldown start and then into some GH extension with a lot of elbow flexion, so also getting some biceps involvement and lat work in but, maybe even some pec with the adduction he does in the mid range of his rep too (which granted, lat and pec man do some too). His lumbar and thoracic spine are visibly rounding with exertion into flexion and he goes up and allows his upper traps to get activated and involved in the movement too. Not a very clean movement IMO. For lats, tapping into that GH extension and adduction movement, I like the straight arm push pull downs.

Other back exercises I like are rack pulls and pendlay rows.

digitalpimp

digitalpimp

Awards
  • Established
I can't comment too much because I have never tried these but looks like a close grip lat pulldown start and then into some GH extension with a lot of elbow flexion, so also getting some biceps involvement and lat work in but, maybe even some pec with the adduction he does in the mid range of his rep too (which granted, lat and pec man do some too). His lumbar and thoracic spine are visibly rounding with exertion into flexion and he goes up and allows his upper traps to get activated and involved in the movement too. Not a very clean movement IMO. For lats, tapping into that GH extension and adduction movement, I like the straight arm push pull downs.

Other back exercises I like are rack pulls and pendlay rows.
The way i do them is closer to this video here. You want to push your head and body down to get a really good stretch on your lats at the beginning of the movement, I like to hold the peak contraction for a couple of seconds for a good lower lat burn.

[video=youtube;XVi4nZkGgHI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=26&v=XVi4nZkGgHI[/video]

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The way i do them is closer to this video here. You want to push your head and body down to get a really good stretch on your lats at the beginning of the movement, I like to hold the peak contraction for a couple of seconds for a good lower lat burn.

[video=youtube;XVi4nZkGgHI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=26&v=XVi4nZkGgHI[/video]
Those look better. Just wondering a bit about the bringing your head into flexion while performing the exercise. I know that will create tension through the upper traps and associated fascia, and standing like that with the hips in flexion will also increase the tension on the thoracolumbar fascia, but not sure how much strain that would put on the cervical region. I guess if you actively pay attention to not contract there and focus your muscular contractions and just use it for tensioning that it would be ok. I'm going to have to try these out and see how they feel. Thanks for the videos.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Deads and tbar rows, love em. And good ol pull ups of course

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Speaking of pull-ups, ever try Frenchy pull-ups? Those are insane but I love em! To describe it best I'm going to just paste the description, hard to find a good video showing them correctly.

"You start with a full pull up, and then lower just a touch and hold for a count of five. Pull yourself back up and lower all the way down. Come back to a full position and then lower yourself to a 90 degree bend and hold for five. Pull yourself back up and lower all the way down, and then finally pull yourself back up and lower to a 120 degree angle, hold for five and then pull yourself back up one more time"

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did, you're a sick sick man

Capt Awesome

Awards
Speaking of pull-ups, ever try Frenchy pull-ups? Those are insane but I love em! To describe it best I'm going to just paste the description, hard to find a good video showing them correctly.

"You start with a full pull up, and then lower just a touch and hold for a count of five. Pull yourself back up and lower all the way down. Come back to a full position and then lower yourself to a 90 degree bend and hold for five. Pull yourself back up and lower all the way down, and then finally pull yourself back up and lower to a 120 degree angle, hold for five and then pull yourself back up one more time"
Haven't tried those. Might give them a whirl.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
weighted pull ups
And good ol pull ups of course
Oh yeah.

Wait, what? You just made that up! :beerchug: Doesn't mean I won't be trying them though.

Weighted pull-ups for days.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wait, what? You just made that up! :beerchug: Doesn't mean I won't be trying them though.

Weighted pull-ups for days.
lol, naw it's a real thing! I found when doing research for my Ther-ex class. Tried em out and loved em. Super tough but great to work on not only concentric and eccentric but the isometrics as well.

Dulce

Dulce

Awards
i love this machine
t-bar-rows-200x150.jpg
and pull ups