what you think of my routine?

dino tobago

dino tobago

Awards
Im on this routine now for four months and im seeing some good gains but im curiius to your opinions.

Day1:
incline dumbell press 5 x 12-8
Bench press 5 x 12-6
Flyes 5 x 12-8
Skullcrushers 4x 12-8
Narrow grip bench 4 x 12-8
pushdowns 3 x 12-10

Day2:
Pull ups: 5 x failure
lat pulls 5 x 12-8
Barbell rows 4x 12-8
Vbar pulldowns 4 x 12-8
One arm dumbell rows 3 x 12- 8
Seated rows 4 x 12-8
ez curls 4 x 12-8
Concentration curls 4 x 12-8
calf raises 4 x 15

Day3:
Dumbell press 5 x 12-8
Bent over laterals 3 x 12-8
Upright rows 4 x 12-8
Side laterals 3 x 12-8
Wrist curls 4 x 15
reverse wrist curls 4 x 15

Day4:
Squats 5 x 12-8
Deadlifts 4x 10-6
Legpress 4x 12-8
Leg extensions 4x 12-8
Leg curls 5 x 12-8
calf raises 5 x 15
seated calf raises 5 x 15

After day 4 I repeat day 1 and two and then I take one day rest. Then I start the next week with day 3 and so on. Might seem al lot but I have plenty of energy, food intake is good, sleep is perfect.
any thoughts on this routine?

digitalpimp

digitalpimp

Awards
  • Established
I would put Deadlifts on day 2 and use only 1 pulldown/pullup movement, and 1 row movement. I probably wouldn't worry about any direct forearm work either.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I would put Deadlifts on day 2 and use only 1 pulldown/pullup movement, and 1 row movement. I probably wouldn't worry about any direct forearm work either.
I agree I would prob put deads on your back day. Either that or make sure you rotate squats/deads first every so often (or every other session) to help get the most from them. Both are very taxing so whichever comes second will get severely less effort than it would being First. I actually have mine setup like this and just rotate weekly

dino tobago

dino tobago

Awards
So you think Im doing to much for the back? Because before I did 3 exercises for back but that just didnt seem to really exhaust my back completely. About forearms I actually agree but its just that on that day Im not doing so much anyway so I thought to throw them in the mix. Just to see what happens. I think good forearm development makes the armes really complete, look at for example the oldskool casey viator...

dino tobago

dino tobago

Awards
I agree I would prob put deads on your back day. Either that or make sure you rotate squats/deads first every so often (or every other session) to help get the most from them. Both are very taxing so whichever comes second will get severely less effort than it would being First. I actually have mine setup like this and just rotate weekly
Great tip, I'll defenitly use it!

digitalpimp

digitalpimp

Awards
  • Established
So you think Im doing to much for the back? Because before I did 3 exercises for back but that just didnt seem to really exhaust my back completely. About forearms I actually agree but its just that on that day Im not doing so much anyway so I thought to throw them in the mix. Just to see what happens. I think good forearm development makes the armes really complete, look at for example the oldskool casey viator...
I just don't think you need 3 pull up/pulldown movements, and if you add deadlifts to back day then 1 row movement should be good enough.

I hear what you're saying on the forearms thing, personally I'd go with Farmer's Walks. It will strengthen the whole body plus give you a killer forearm workout.

dino tobago

dino tobago

Awards
I just don't think you need 3 pull up/pulldown movements, and if you add deadlifts to back day then 1 row movement should be good enough.

I hear what you're saying on the forearms thing, personally I'd go with Farmer's Walks. It will strengthen the whole body plus give you a killer forearm workout.
So what do you suggest, should I just stick to one or two rows and pulls or switch them up a little, one week barbell rows versus one week dumbell rows for example

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
your plan has this many sets per body part either directly or indirectly:

shoulders: 34sets
traps: 15 sets
chest: 19 sets
lats: 30 sets
tris: 26 sets
biceps: 38 sets
low back: 17 sets
abs: 9 sets
glutes: 9 sets
quads: 17 sets
hamstrings: 18 sets
calfs: 14 sets
silliness: 12 sets

when you look at opposing body parts things are WAY out of proportion. even the exercise order is not optimal to working the body, unless you are doing it that way to fit an undefined goal.

i would do a proven program that fits your goals. speaking of, what are your goals? once you get on that program learn why it works. look at how it is balanced. do it for at least 3 months if not up to a year. while you are on it, read up on other programs and learn how they are the same and how they are different.

dino tobago

dino tobago

Awards
your plan has this many sets per body part either directly or indirectly:

shoulders: 34sets
traps: 15 sets
chest: 19 sets
lats: 30 sets
tris: 26 sets
biceps: 38 sets
low back: 17 sets
abs: 9 sets
glutes: 9 sets
quads: 17 sets
hamstrings: 18 sets
calfs: 14 sets
silliness: 12 sets

when you look at opposing body parts things are WAY out of proportion. even the exercise order is not optimal to working the body, unless you are doing it that way to fit an undefined goal.

i would do a proven program that fits your goals. speaking of, what are your goals? once you get on that program learn why it works. look at how it is balanced. do it for at least 3 months if not up to a year. while you are on it, read up on other programs and learn how they are the same and how they are different.
Thanks for your reply, interesting to hear your perspective on this routine.
But I think the basics of this program is quite similar to many 4/5 day split routines designed for mass. I just changed some little things and added or lost some exercises here and there. For example I lost 1 exercise for biceps because I felt that 2 would be enough. I added some to the back because thats one musclegroup I want to focus on. For shoulders most split routines include front raises aswell wich I also did not include.
I see what your trying to say but when you look at it its not very different from a lot of proven split routines. Even the order in wich the exercises are done is quite similar. Execpt maybe for the bent over laterals wich I do now as a weak point priority.
If you know some split routines wich you think are better or more balanced I would be happy to see them.

If you have any thoughts about how I could change things within this routine for more overall balance also very welcome.