What would you change in my workout? Getting leaner

Willdawg

Awards
Looking to get a little bit more lean/tighten up my mid section.(I know keep my diet on point) What kind of cardio would you add? Or what would you change about my workout?

I personally seem to respond best to higher volume. Here are my stats and my workout:

28 years old
6'3
235lbs
Arms 17.5
Chest 45.5
Waist 38
Thighs 26
Calves 16.5

I always alternate the orders..

SHOULDERS
Clean-press(from standing position) 10x 5
Side raise cable 10x 5
Shoulder fly machine 10x 5
Standing shoulder rows 10x 5
Shoulder press machine SS plate front raise 10x 5
Side lateral(light strict form) 10x 5
Upright rows(cable) SS front raise(cable) 10x 5
Shrugs(barbell)10x 5 SS light side raise 20x 5

LEGS
Step up 10x 5
Dead lifts 10x 5
Back extensions(pad all the way down) 5x 10
Leg press 10x 5
Single leg press 10x 5
Leg curls standing 10x 5
Leg extensions whole stack 10x 5
Single leg extensions 10x 5
Seated leg curl 10x 5
Standing calves 20xlight or 10x heavy 5

ARMS
Standing straight barbell curl 10x 5
Smith close grip bench 10x 5
SS tri push off bar To FailureX 5
Alternating strict form curl 10x 5
Skull crusher 15x 5
Hammer curl 10x 3
Cross body hammer 10x 3
Rope push down 15-10x 5
Easy bar push down 10x 5
Preacher curl machine/barbell 10x 5
On arm cable push down SS high Curl 25x 5

CHEST
Pullover machine warm up 5 sets
Dumbell press 10x 5
Incline flies 12x 5
Smith incline 10x 5
Flat leverage machine 10x 5
Fly machine 10x 5
Cable high, medium, low 3-5sets each high reps
Pullover machine stretch high rep

Back:
Bent over barbell rows 10x 5
Dumbbell rows 10x 5
Tbar rows 10x 5
Wide grip pull down 10x 5
Close grip pull down 10x 5
Pull overs light high reps

digitalpimp

digitalpimp

Awards
  • Established
Need more info here. What does your split look like? How many days a week do you workout?

Willdawg

Awards
Need more info here. What does your split look like? How many days a week do you workout?
5 days a week, generally go straight through Monday-Friday however if I feel my body needs a break I'll take a day off mid week and do Saturday.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you're diet is on point, you're in a deficit, you're training program can stay the same. Cardio does not need to be done if you are losing weight and I would advise to keep it out as long as possible. If or when you need to implement cardio, try HIIT first, if you're body can recover from it and if it doesn't hurt your leg days You could also do supersets or keep rest periods between exercises low to help expedite fat loss and gym time.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Looking to get a little bit more lean/tighten up my mid section.(I know keep my diet on point) What kind of cardio would you add? Or what would you change about my workout?

I personally seem to respond best to higher volume. Here are my stats and my workout:

28 years old
6'3
235lbs
Arms 17.5
Chest 45.5
Waist 38
Thighs 26
Calves 16.5
If the goal is to maintain/build muscle whilst still trying to lose some fat (recomp basically), I find that throwing in some HIIT at the end of lifting sessions for 15min in the form of whatever suits you (I do sprint intervals for 15 min) really seems to get me leaned up while not losing any gains.

A good approach would be to start at 5min HIIT for a week or so, bump to 10min the next 2 weeks, then bump to 15min. I wouldn't ever go over 20min.

If you want I can dig up the research I have on HIIT doing a better job of fat burning and sparing muscle than the old mantra of "steady state cardio."

Willdawg

Awards
If the goal is to maintain/build muscle whilst still trying to lose some fat (recomp basically), I find that throwing in some HIIT at the end of lifting sessions for 15min in the form of whatever suits you (I do sprint intervals for 15 min) really seems to get me leaned up while not losing any gains.

A good approach would be to start at 5min HIIT for a week or so, bump to 10min the next 2 weeks, then bump to 15min. I wouldn't ever go over 20min.

If you want I can dig up the research I have on HIIT doing a better job of fat burning and sparing muscle than the old mantra of "steady state cardio."
I'm going to try incorporating hiit into my routine. I've done it in the past and I do seem to remember it working, it's a pain in the ass, but goes by quick. Thank you for the info

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to try incorporating hiit into my routine. I've done it in the past and I do seem to remember it working, it's a pain in the ass, but goes by quick. Thank you for the info
No problem.

And I hear you on the "pain in the ass" part, especially after a taxing lifting session. You could try separating the two. One session of HIIT AM/PM and the lifting session the opposite time of day, depending on your schedule.

If you are open to any supps to include, Forskolin + Caffeine would be a simple and good add in. If the HIIT kicks your butt too much, Ep1C has a TON of feedback on endurance and as a result leaning out.

Keep us posted.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You seem to be doing a whole lot of work and I don't see how you could possibly be truly in working sets with that volume and number of movements. Not to be curt, but that is exercising and not really working towards a goal.

You say you respond better to high volume, but by what standard? You may want to step back and get on a proven routine and post your diet.

digitalpimp

digitalpimp

Awards
  • Established
You seem to be doing a whole lot of work and I don't see how you could possibly be truly in working sets with that volume and number of movements. Not to be curt, but that is exercising and not really working towards a goal.

You say you respond better to high volume, but by what standard? You may want to step back and get on a proven routine and post your diet.
There's so many sets in there it looks like a 5 day split, still not quite sure