The (close to) Best Way to Program Training

LDubs

LDubs

Awards
Hey AM community,

I have some questions regarding programming. For my entire training career I have utilized straight sets and linear progression. For instance, I started out on Starting Strength doing 3x5. I moved on from that to upper/lower and then push/pull/legs routines again using straight sets with varied rep ranges. Lately it has been more and more difficult to progress on those straight sets. I am currently trying to gain strength as my primary focus with my assistance work done with a focus on hypertrophy.

I have been looking into ramping up to a 5rm. Similar to a 5x5 where I am increasing weight each set to a top set of 5. With this style I would utilize auto regulation and if I am feeling like it's an off day then maybe not push for a new PR. I am currently using a push pull legs routine. Is this a good way to progress? Is working up to a 5rm for the first exercise of the day, multiple days per week too taxing on the CNS?

What are your thoughts? Do you have some better ideas to help me program my training without doing straight sets?

Thanks!

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
That almost sounds like 5/3/1. You want periodization in your program somewhere, and maybe even undulation depending on your energy levels. I would say to take a look at 5/3/1 and 5/3/1 boring but big 3month challenge and see if you like it

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
That almost sounds like 5/3/1. You want periodization in your program somewhere, and maybe even undulation depending on your energy levels. I would say to take a look at 5/3/1 and 5/3/1 boring but big 3month challenge and see if you like it
I second this. 5/3/1 is an awesome program. If you follow it correctly and eat right, you should continue seeing progress every week.