Standard split vs upper/lower

Gains2NV

Awards
Recently read an article that made me switch to 4 days a week 2 upper 2 lower days a week routine. Kinda like it due to hitting legs more. However sometimes I feel like I don't hit a body part hard enough. On upper days do one exercise 4 sets of 12 per muscle group. Leg days are fine cause I get numerous sets in. Anyone do upper/ lower I thinking of switching back to standard split was just thinking shock body change it up a bit. Usually I just do standard split and every 3 weeks routate between 4 sets of I and 4 sets of 10. Just wondering how you guys feel on upper/ lower split,

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just add additional volume to the body part you feel you aren't hitting enough if your recovery warrants it. As simple as that.

Also over the long term varying the frequency of your workouts (split>upper/lower>full) may serve beneficial as well. No need to ALWAYS stick with one frequency. :)

bobsaget2191

bobsaget2191

Awards
maybe have a accessory day for the muscles

jaces

jaces

Awards
add a rest pause set in for that muscle... if done correctly it will up the intensity

HIM

HIM

Awards
Ive been doing an upper/lower split and its worked pretty well for me. Mon/Thurs I do lower and Tues/Fri I do upper super setting most of it. When I want to mix it up changing the weight/rep range, throwing in some drop sets, and switching up accessory lifts has worked pretty well for me. If you don't think your hitting something hard enough up the intensity on it or hit it with some other accessory lifts until it begs for mercy.

Gains2NV

Awards
HIM I did that exactly last upper day. Supersets so I could get more work done. Did 2 exercises per body group. Superset chest and tri then superset back and bi then superset 2 shoulder moves each superset 3 sets of 12 then repeated with different exercises . was burning after that Loved it

HIM

HIM

Awards
Ive been basically supersetting my presses and pulls. So chest and back or bi's and tri's. Sometimes I super set shoulders on leg day too if Im feeling up for it.

jaces

jaces

Awards
HIM I did that exactly last upper day. Supersets so I could get more work done. Did 2 exercises per body group. Superset chest and tri then superset back and bi then superset 2 shoulder moves each superset 3 sets of 12 then repeated with different exercises . was burning after that Loved it
that would be more of a prexhuast than a superset

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
I do and am a true fan of the U/L split - in many ways I think it is the best split there is. If you don't feel like you hit a particular bodypart with enough volume - as others stated - just add volume. Upper chest lagging? Do incline bench. Delts lagging? OHP and side laterals and face pulls. Rinse repeat for all body parts.

wfgallagher3

wfgallagher3

Awards
This week I did this:
Mon: Quads and Calves. 3x3 Back Squats, followed by 3x12 Front Squats, then leg extensions, curls, and calf raises.
Tues: HIIT Cardio to flush blood thru the legs.
Weds: Forearms, Bis, Shoulder and Chest
Thurs: Hamstring and Calves. Stiff Legged Deads, Leg curls, Leg Presses, Seated Calves.
Friday: Tris and Back

Totally optimized for my physique. Generally I need to bring up arms and legs.