Building sholders and bicepts

Siaga1031

Awards
Hey fellas so my issue is i cant seem to build my shoulders or biceps i get stronger but dont seem to get any size gains any advice?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hey fellas so my issue is i cant seem to build my shoulders or biceps i get stronger but dont seem to get any size gains any advice?
whats your current workout look like? exercises, sets, reps etc

Siaga1031

Awards
3x10 dumbell press 3x10 bench 3x10 pull down 3x10 dumbell curls 3x8 pull up 3x8 straight bar curls

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
3x10 dumbell press 3x10 bench 3x10 pull down 3x10 dumbell curls 3x8 pull up 3x8 straight bar curls
thats your entire workout? how many days a week?

Siaga1031

Awards
3x a week 2 days between are legs an abs then 2 rest days.....yeah its a little short due to lack of time

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Well you have one shoulder exercise so that's why those won't grow... Biceps, look to be getting enough work but you can certainly try to play with the reps. Try going higher some days (15-20) and lower others (5-8).

Shoulders you just need to add volume first and foremost. Lateral raises, front raises, upright rows, machine work, cable work, whatever. Just add more.

Siaga1031

Awards
Ok thanks will add those in and hopefully see some gains appreciate it

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Ok thanks will add those in and hopefully see some gains appreciate it
you should post up your full week of workouts and show where things will fit... and time requirements, things you want to focus on, etc and I can help you dial it in a bit.

SOmething like:

Monday:
bench 3x10
should press 3x10
etc

Tues:
exercises, sets, reps

Weds:
etc

Also, what does your diet look like? meal timing vs workout timing? macro breakdown? these are all important when it comes to weak point training.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
booneman77 knows his stuff guy wrote me a diet that improved so many aspects in my life lost 15 pounds in 10 days .

Siaga1031

Awards
Im a trucker so diet may be a little low bc of lack of exercise....
Morning-60g protien shake 2 eggs potatoes and bacon

Lunch-60g protien shake subway tuna on wheat lettus tom. And onion

Dinner- usually the same

W/o ac3g pwo 60g protein after

Monday wens fri. Above w/o
Tues thurs- leg press 3x10 calve raises 3x10 leg curls (not sure what there really called lol) weighted leg raises 3x10 crunch machine and hanging crunches both 3x10

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
Im a trucker so diet may be a little low bc of lack of exercise....
Morning-60g protien shake 2 eggs potatoes and bacon

Lunch-60g protien shake subway tuna on wheat lettus tom. And onion

Dinner- usually the same

W/o ac3g pwo 60g protein after

Monday wens fri. Above w/o
Tues thurs- leg press 3x10 calve raises 3x10 leg curls (not sure what there really called lol) weighted leg raises 3x10 crunch machine and hanging crunches both 3x10
I could be wrong, but wouldn't 60gs of whey protein spike your insulin like crazy? Plus 180gs of whey protein a day seems quite excessive, maybe get some jerky or some boiled eggs in place of the whey?

Siaga1031

Awards
Honestly idk if that is to much or not i just know that it maintains my weight if i cut out the whey i lose weight if i bump it up i get bloated and feel sluggish

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I could be wrong, but wouldn't 60gs of whey protein spike your insulin like crazy? Plus 180gs of whey protein a day seems quite excessive, maybe get some jerky or some boiled eggs in place of the whey?
Protein will spike insulin a bit, but not "like crazy" and definitely not with the fats from the eggs and bacon in there. That's a very round mixed macro meal there.

Even if it did, why would that even be relevant or an issue?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Honestly idk if that is to much or not i just know that it maintains my weight if i cut out the whey i lose weight if i bump it up i get bloated and feel sluggish
I usually suggest that people eat as much of their protein from whole foods as possible, but also understand the convenience of powders (I myself usually have about 3-4 scoops/about 100g a day as well most days).

The thing is, powders are not very satiating and can lead you to be hungry faster and thus make poorer food choices in a pinch.

If you want to try to pack on some muscle in the two areas you specified, I'd do two things:
1) you need to change your training so that there's MUCH more emphasis on bis/shoulders. Maybe even dedicate a day of the week to "arms" (sh/tri/bi).

A split like:
Mon-arms (sh/bi/tri)
Tues- legs
Weds- back/chest
Thurs- legs/shoulders
Fri- chest/bi/tri/back
Sat/sun- off

This would have you hitting biceps twice directly and once indirectly (back day) and shoulders twice direct and twice indirect (chest days)

2) eat to match your training. By this, I mean on the days you train your weak parts, add some extra calories around the workout. A few more carbs before and after will help but shouldn't add much if any fat so long as you keep the amounts reasonable.

Siaga1031

Awards
Awesome will start this up when i get off work ty for the advice working on a better diet been doing research when i get it figured out will post back on this thread

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Awesome will start this up when i get off work ty for the advice working on a better diet been doing research when i get it figured out will post back on this thread
Heavy lateral raises have really brought up my shoulders a lot. You can go pretty heavy without as much risk of shoulder injury as with presses, and you can use a bit of body momentum to "cheat" and get some extra poundage in there for a few reps as well...not that I advocate bad form, but in this case it can help a bit. Plus no spotter needed to go to failure.

For biceps, try finishing your routine with cable rope curls. Go to failure and work on drop sets. That should get you a killer pump and some noticeable definition in good time.

jaces

jaces

Awards
and maybe look in to jim stoppanis 6 weeks to sick arms

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Is it overall shoulders , delts, traps or what exactly?

Arnold presses is one of the best. Variety......