Increase mile time help

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
I'm training to be a state trooper and the only physical requirement I need to work on is cardio and my mile time. I'm 5'8 205lbs and currently have a 12-14 minute mile depending on cramps, wind, slight hills, etc. I'm looking for advice on how to train for this as I'm unfamiliar with this type of training. I would like to run for 3-4 days and have 1/2 to 1/3 of them be on a treadmill as too much running outside starts to hurt my shins. I've notice currently two days outside and two on treadmill have kept the shin splints away as I started out doing strictly outdoor running and they began to hurt. Any help is much appreciated, I need to get down to a 14 minutes mile and a half and an 8-11 minute mile time running 4 consecutive miles.

saiyanking35

Awards
May I ask, first, how many breaks are you taking on your mile? 12-14 minutes seems a little long for a mile.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
May I ask, first, how many breaks are you taking on your mile? 12-14 minutes seems a little long for a mile.
12 minutes, no break, closer to 14 minutes usually a minute or two if I get cramps. I'm a bigger guy and have never really ran before. I know my mile is by no means good

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
I'm looking for advice on how to train with the information I gave. Should I be doing a half mile one day and then a mile the next and then a 1.5 mile or just run miles every day or just how to train. I've been running a mile normally for a little over a month and don't seem to be getting any better at it so hoping for some programming advice for both 3 and 4 days of running and 1 or 2 days of that on the treadmill

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
there was an exercise that I use to do in track and field where, on a 400 meter track, we would walk the curve jog the straight stride the curve and sprint the straight. When you hit the curve again you can walk as slow as you want as long as you do not stop, however you need to keep the same pace with the jog and the stride every time then just go as hard as you can on the last 100 meters, that does not need to be consistent as long as you are giving it your all. That should help you build the endurance you need and give you some help with your speed.

saiyanking35

Awards
Well I had trouble with my mile at one point. I'm 5'8 and weigh 240 at the moment. But the issue I had was mostly mental. Almost always is the issue with mile times. The best way to get your mile time down in my opinion is tempo running. Tum for a short duration at a medium to high speed, then run at a slow jog for a slightly longer period of time. Say 3 minutes slow then 1 to 2 minutes at a quicker pace. But always set your goal to run a minimum of one mile. If you want to see serious increases in your time, eating and drinking properly has a lot to do with it. Drink enough water that you won't cramp up and get the proper amount of potassium in your body. And the difference between a treadmill and running outside is enough that one mile on a treadmill doesn't quite feel the same as a mile outside. If you're on a treadmill you'll want to turn the incline up all the way and set at a pace to where you aren't necessarily running or walking but in between and you are out of breath while doing so. Make sure to breath properly. But overall keep a weekly mile goal.
Let's say 10 miles a week. Try to get that accomplished within a certain amount of workouts either being outside or on a treadmill. But for the first week start with a weekly mile limit close to that if which you feel isn't too much to handle for your shins.

MJW

MJW

Awards
  • Established
I'm telling you right now, if you go for runs at least 5 times a week, your mile will naturally get better. If you really struggle, then start by doing 5 min run and really hustle. After doing that a few days, bump it up to 7. After a few days bump that up to 10. After that, 15. After that 20. And so on. While doing this don't even time your mile until a few weeks later. Trust me, it'll improve.

MJW

MJW

Awards
  • Established
And get your body warmed up before doing the mile! Do some jumping jacks or something and then stretch out your legs! And make sure your drinking lots of water throughout the day. But make sure your not chugging water right before running because this can cause cramps

compudog

compudog

Awards
Here you go. Pretty detailed programming from John Stanton, who is a genuine running guru. I will add, good shoes make a world of difference, esp. in regards to shin splints. Look for a medial post, that's a hard plastic insert in the arch of the shoe, you can see it plainly if you look at the sole. All serious running shoes have them. Don't try to go with barefoot shoes! Barefoot running is for advanced runners only!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=2584878

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
All good advice-probably the best I can add is a tweak on the tempo idea suggested above: warmup for 5 min, then roll sets of (1 min fast, 2min slower-as fast as you can go and still recover) do as many sets as you can without slowing down.
As for the shin splints: that is due to form. Your foot should strike under your body when you run (imagine you are jumping rope: same foot strike). I am willing to bet you are over striding.
And ditch the treadmill: you aren't being tested on it, are you? It also encourages over striding

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Here you go. Pretty detailed programming from John Stanton, who is a genuine running guru. I will add, good shoes make a world of difference, esp. in regards to shin splints. Look for a medial post, that's a hard plastic insert in the arch of the shoe, you can see it plainly if you look at the sole. All serious running shoes have them. Don't try to go with barefoot shoes! Barefoot running is for advanced runners only!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=2584878
Thanks for the link. I currently use nano 3s with insoles that help with the arch. I'm not sure if these are prime running shoes or not but they work better than any other shoe I have. I'm also going to try to correct my form like another member mentioned

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
not everyone needs the medial post. it is best to go to a running specialty store and get fit according to your gait style, knee alignment, navicular bone position, calluses on the foot and toes, and past wear patterns of shoes. a good store will also film you running in your current shoes as well as with new shows to get you the best shoe class for you.

and i mean by class in that there are 3 classes of running shoes made; neutral, stability, and motion control. none are better as they are meant to assist with different types of gait styles.

compudog

compudog

Awards
Thanks for the link. I currently use nano 3s with insoles that help with the arch. I'm not sure if these are prime running shoes or not but they work better than any other shoe I have. I'm also going to try to correct my form like another member mentioned
Ah, I see. The nano's aren't exactly running shoes, technically they're training shoes, so the support is geared more for lifting than running. A guy your size, I think you'd benefit a lot from some support. Personally I like Asics and New Balance, but like Ozzie said, your best bet is to go to a running store and get geared up by people who know their stuff.

Gains2NV

Awards
I agree with McCrea. I play soccer and most people think laps and laps will help endurance. I have don't that over past year I switched to doing more sprints. Run full blast 15 sec rest 60 sec usually go 15-20 min when I do it. I do it 4 days a week and have noticed it helped my endurance tons. When I do my low intestity jogs I feel like I can run forever.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
too much running outside starts to hurt my shins. I've notice currently two days outside and two on treadmill have kept the shin splints away as I started out doing strictly outdoor running and they began to hurt..

I just noticed this part. The same thing happened for me when I started running outside. I started using my Rogue compression socks that I normally lift with, for running, and the shin splints went away completely.

I just ran a 5 mile obstacle course over the weekend with them, and the only pain I had after that was in my hip, a bit of bursitis from not stretching enough. I definitely recommend compression gear/socks!

Gains2NV

Awards
Shin splints footwear makes a huge difference as well

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Another thing that will help with your test, is to train for it in a carb depleted state (do not have carbs prior to running at all - and try to keep them at a minimum most days). Then feel free to carb up for your test. I read an article recently that endurance runners benefit from low carb diets when training, that they will perform better later on if they had trained in a low carb/depleted state. Definitely do the test/compete with carbs in your system though.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Shin splints footwear makes a huge difference as well
Yep. Forgot to mention, orthotics in your running shoes will make a big difference for shin splints as well as help prevent plantar fasciitis. Great shoes, orthotics and compression gear is the best way to go.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
not everyone needs the medial post. it is best to go to a running specialty store and get fit according to your gait style, knee alignment, navicular bone position, calluses on the foot and toes, and past wear patterns of shoes. a good store will also film you running in your current shoes as well as with new shows to get you the best shoe class for you.

and i mean by class in that there are 3 classes of running shoes made; neutral, stability, and motion control. none are better as they are meant to assist with different types of gait styles.
If you seriously are running do this. I did. My asics are a million times better for longer runs than my Nanos (only sprints).

Also, if I was going to train for it I'd work on it from a couple directions. Do some longer duration easy (as in you may need to walk, no need to be a hero and go too hard) work once a week, once a week do some harder intervals, and something in between. I'd even say if too much running is hurting (ie shin splints) at the start you may want to do some stuff like rowing, biking, etc just to build some aerobic base without overworking the running motion.

But I suck at running and am far from an expert so just throwing it out there. ;)

bobsaget2191

bobsaget2191

Awards
I never train for slower speed long distance I always do sprints or speed shutes and suicides to train for rugby which is 80 mins non stop so that what works for me you'll find your groove bro and weight is a factor lol