Electrical muscle stimulator

C

Capt Awesome

Awards
Anyone use an EMS in their training. Not one of the infomercial ab band kind, but a legit one like a Compex, Globus or POV sport?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nope i havent but i've seen commercials about them haah

C

Capt Awesome

Awards
Nope i havent but i've seen commercials about them haah
Abs of steel! Ha! Jay Schroeder at Evo ultrafit (the guy that got Adam Archuleta up to speed) seems to fond of it and Charlie Francis used it with his athletes back in the day. I'm more interested in it for maximal strength purposes. Its intriguing, but possibly just as useful as snake oil.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I used them like 15 years ago as part of rehab from a knee surgery. Was really beneficial as I was off of the leg for about a month.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Good for rehab and used in medical settings for that purpose. A pro basketball player I know had one issued to him from the doctor for his knee injury. As for muscle growth? Unlikely. For strength...not a chance in the world.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I used them like 15 years ago as part of rehab from a knee surgery. Was really beneficial as I was off of the leg for about a month.
Yep this.

C

Capt Awesome

Awards
Charlie Francis got great results apparently.....or was it the winstrol.....

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
I actually have a small machine at home for this but I got it, and use it, more for rehab, which is the intended use of the one that I have.

Really works as far as taking away the pain and helping me back on my feet (literally and metaphorically) and just for that reason, I feel that it was worth the purchase.

I've never tried it to aid in strength training but I may look more into it and see how it goes for me!

C

Capt Awesome

Awards
I actually have a small machine at home for this but I got it, and use it, more for rehab, which is the intended use of the one that I have.

Really works as far as taking away the pain and helping me back on my feet (literally and metaphorically) and just for that reason, I feel that it was worth the purchase.

I've never tried it to aid in strength training but I may look more into it and see how it goes for me!
I have a tens machine that I've been playing and it has a "bodybuilding mode" that actually creates a pretty good contraction. Its not the same as a full on EMS machine, however. What I have notice is after using it on a muscle a few times, I can contract that muscle more fully on my own now. Just an observation, don't know if there are any downstream effects from though.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I purchased a really good TENS unit for home use as well, but I only use it to remove muscle spasms / tightness, etc. Solely for rehab use. I wish I had purchased this years ago. A must for any lifter.