Retract the Scapula?

avega17

Awards
  • Established
Should you hold the scapula in a retracted position for all back exercises? I have tried both ways, sort of mixed. At the eccentric portion I would let go of the retraction, then retract again before pulling to work those muscles as well. I know holding them in an isometric retraction is hitting them as well. What is optimal and better for shoulder health and back development?

Thanks.

Aesthetic2.0

Awards
Personally, I protract on the eccentric portion and retract on concentric for my rowing movements so I can get a deeper range of motion on them.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
depends. heavy rowing i keep them in place. pullups and facepulls i let them move.

PILL

Awards
Wouldn't allowing the scapula to raise up at the end of the eccentric part of a pullup remove the tension from the back muscles? Don't have a bar near me to try it out, but it makes sense in my head.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wouldn't allowing the scapula to raise up at the end of the eccentric part of a pullup remove the tension from the back muscles? Don't have a bar near me to try it out, but it makes sense in my head.
You can allow the scap to move and keep tension on the lats. The mistake that most people make is to go into scapular elevation.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Depends. When I train back on bench day I keep my scap retraction like I would while benching. On deadlift day I let them amble about. There are wrong ways to go about it, as Rodja mentioned. But I believe there should be a mix of the two styles you mentioned.