Sprinting program

L

luke93

Awards
I am interested in beginning a program that will help me build my sprinting endurance for my upcoming lacrosse season. Anyone know any good programs or excercises i can follow?

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Sprinting endurance is a bit of an oxymoron, but I presume that you mean improving your ability to continue to do repeated sprints.
There are a bunch of workouts I could suggest, but the simplest and best would be something like this: warm up with a 5 min run, then do intervals of 1min hard, 2 min easy, then cool down. Start with 4-6 intervals, work up to 10-12.
When you go hard, make it a challenging pace (roughly the pace you would go if racing a mike) and THIS IS CRUCIAL: don't shuffle the easy parts-go as fast as you can and still recover (it should be a cruise, not a jog shuffle).
Hope this helps

L

luke93

Awards
Sprinting endurance is a bit of an oxymoron, but I presume that you mean improving your ability to continue to do repeated sprints.
There are a bunch of workouts I could suggest, but the simplest and best would be something like this: warm up with a 5 min run, then do intervals of 1min hard, 2 min easy, then cool down. Start with 4-6 intervals, work up to 10-12.
When you go hard, make it a challenging pace (roughly the pace you would go if racing a mike) and THIS IS CRUCIAL: don't shuffle the easy parts-go as fast as you can and still recover (it should be a cruise, not a jog shuffle).
Hope this helps
Yea i meant repeated sprints...any reccomended programs i could follow? Besides what u just said.. I'm in pretty good distance shape and usually run 3 miles in 630 splits but i want to work on sprints

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I sprint quite a bit for HIIT. Started out 40 yards. Sprint. 30sec cool down, Sprint, etc. 10x, 20x, etc.gradual increase.
Then used the same as in HS football, Sprint 100 yards, 30 sec cool down, and again. 10x.
Then found a nice steep hill. started sprinting to the top. 10x, 20x, 30x per day.
Then started same hill with a weighted vest.
Then more weights.
Too hot for the vest now so back to just reducing time to peak.

I use cleats for traction and a timer to note improvements.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Yea i meant repeated sprints...any reccomended programs i could follow? Besides what u just said.. I'm in pretty good distance shape and usually run 3 miles in 630 splits but i want to work on sprints
If you want to work on sprints, I am reading that as you wanting to work on maximal velocity.
HIIT will work for that, but honestly is more designed for METCON, which you seem okay with.
If you want speed, you gotta run fast: nothing more than that.
A pyramid of 30-50-90 meter sprints with 90s rest is ideal. Repeat until your time for each interval falls off by more than 5%.

And DON'T wear a weight vest or bother with sled work. Again, these are great for conditioning, but actually alter running form and don't improve speed

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
http://anabolicminds.com/articles/sprint-training-works-better-on-a-hill-17430/

“During uphill running, participants experienced a resistive stimulus, followed by a normal stimulus (horizontal), and then a facilitative stimulus (downhill)”, the researcher writes. “During the first stimulus, the neuromuscular system was overloaded, whereas immediately afterward it was progressively unloaded (horizontal – downhill). It seems that this rapid transition from the first stimulus to the second, from overloaded to facilitative, benefited the neuromuscular system. The immediate transition from the overload status to the facilitated status seems to be the key factor to the training adaptation.”

J

jgvg

Awards
I used to play college football and we would alternate sprint/jog with weighted vests. ex: 10 miles total - sprint 1/16 mile - jog 1/8 mile - sprint 1/8 mile - jog 1/4 mile - and then repeat. Not only will you build endurance but eventually you'll find yourself being able to sprint for very long distances with what feels like little effort.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Yes to the hill training (improves ground reaction force and running form), no to weighted vests. Again, they are great for conditioning, but LAX isn't played with a weighted vest-if you are looking to get faster, improve your form. Weighted training has a negative carryover to unweighted running with respect to speed improvement.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
But what do I know, I just run and coach running for a living

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All good info and no one criticizing. Good to know about training for sprinting. Believed OP Interested in the explosive start involved in sprinting for the first few meters. The remainder is a stamina and speed metric. Never played lacrosse myself but presume the ability to start/stop/start for extended periods is a desired attribute.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
All good info and no one criticizing. Good to know about training for sprinting. Believed OP Interested in the explosive start involved in sprinting for the first few meters. The remainder is a stamina and speed metric. Never played lacrosse myself but presume the ability to start/stop/start for extended periods is a desired attribute.
Which weighted training won't help. I am not trying to get into a debate here, but running is just as plagued by bro science as lifting.
I am simply responding to the OP's desire to improve "sprinting endurance". If he wants to improve his ability to run fast, repeatedly, the best way to do that is to get better at running fast. The best way to get better at running fast is to run fast.
Uphill training can help this but I can show you reams of studies, as well as direct experience training athletes (not just track and XC kids, but LAX, soccer, football, you name it), that weighted training-while it increases the metabolic load of running-instills bad running form that hurts performance when running unweighted. This will not help the OP get faster. He will look and feel more bad a$sed training with a weighted vest, but that is all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Invulnerabledr Training Forum 12
A Training Forum 13
G Anabolics 14
D Training Forum 8
B Training Forum 4