C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As the title states, I want to grow and get back to basics. This is as much a mental challenge as it is physical. It's mental Bc I am in the school of thought that more is better- more volume, more exercise variation, more frequency, etc. it's mental Bc I've always been an under eater OR opposed to tracking macros.

Now that I am older (27 in sept) I realize I don't know it all. I know my body- but if I know it so well why haven't I been able to achieve the goals I set for myself aesthetically, or get stronger? Bc I don't know what I'm doing and I'm not dial in enough on nutrition.

I have plYed football my whole life thru college and at one point was 190lbs (probably 16-17% BF) at 5'7". I squatted 315, DL 315, push press 185, benched 215. Those were my best numbers. Then I stopped playing, stopped focusing on the big lifts and power/explosiveness and worried more about the minor bs. I stopped eating as much Bc I wanted to lose BF and I did. I'm at the tail end of a cut (another 5 weeks left) and basically just maintaining where I am (9%bf) 152lbs.

I'm still kind of strong especially for my size. But I want to get back to manly strong. I want to look like a 27 year old man, not a 17 year old beach bro.

I know this will take FOOD AND REST. I am ok with that and looking forward to it.

I want to know what kind of training I should go for.

Right now I am training full body 3x a week.

I enjoy squatting 2x, utilIing rows and weighted pull-ups, and various BB and DB shoulder presses. I bench very little and do NO chest accessory work BC my chest is naturally larger than everything else.

I have been looking into beyond 531 with joker sets and the inclusion of box jumps/overhead throws and all that goes along with it Bc I feel it could be a great program to be in good overall athletic shape.

I have also looked into DUP Bc I love the frequency and variety aspect in loads.

I am hesitant to do either Bc I feel the accessory work isn't enough MENTALLY. I feel like I need to punish myself with weights in order to earn the right r to EAT BIG-- does anyone else feel like this?

Never the less... I feel programs that exclude DB lateral raises and various lat work variations will not be enough for me mentally. I feel I will lose definition and muscular shape/ balance. I am weird like that mentally and I hope someone can say something magical to help me realize my thinking is flawed and suggest a good way to regain control of HEALTHY habits. The weight room and kitchen is my sanctuary ... It's also my hell Bc I keep spinning my wheels. I'm ready to mKe changes to my thought process regarding this. I just need to figure out how to digest all the new information and really BUY IN.

Ideally I would like to train the big lifts 2-3x a week and do enough accessory work to FEEL like I earned the right to eat. I also enjoy hiit cardio on the bike or stairs... As well as pushing/pulling the prowler

I am aware I need to do a good amount of mobility work and proper warmups.

Can someone recommend a good program for lifting 3x a week with lift frequency, and doing two days of cardio/conditioning?

Thanks for reading!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I believe the Advanced template in Beyond 53 allows each lift 2x a week . Let me read through it again.

I'd give the prowler challenges a try.

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To help give an idea I like this set up but I feel it lacks volume/accessory work. I like the idea of joker sets as well as the dynamic warmup box jumps and med ball throws in the beyond 531 1.1-1.4
I also like the weighted vest walking but want to include hiit somehow.....

Ideally I'd like to row2-3x a week, chin 3x a week, shoulder press 2-3x a week, squat 1-2x a week, dead 1-2x a week and bench once a week.

Then have enough assistance work and conditioning work to make lean mass gains (knowing I will most likely add some BF% as I don't plan on maintaining 9% year round)

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1436312982.012185.jpg

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think that looks exactly like what you're wanting man. You may have to sacrifice some volume of you want a 3x/wk frequency.

BigLarry

BigLarry

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That setup looks like a great rotation and should be pretty beneficial.

Hey I also have to say that I like where your heads at with wanting to punish yourself with weights and all. Me and my gym buddy would always pump ourselves up and curse the weights out or mock them before sets. Ha it's the simple things but whatever gets you mentally in the zone then do it!

Get in the gym and make those weights your bitch! Cheers

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think that looks exactly like what you're wanting man. You may have to sacrifice some volume of you want a 3x/wk frequency.
It is a nice looking setup BUT is it enough to stimulate growth? Is it enough to keeps gains lean (I know this is vastly diet dependent but sometimes when there's spill over, volume can make up for it)

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Want I liked about beyond531 was the facepulls 100 reps and the rear self work, medball slams, box jumps/long jumps.. And those joker sets :) idk how to combine it all into one program- and I also don't want to "bastardize" it and render it ineffective

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
I am kind of on the same boat. As far as what I am wanting to accomplish with my body and not being able to back off of volume, always been a a split and volume guy, every time I try to go back to basics and go lower volume and frequency I seem to shrink so I never keep at it, plus i have many imbalances or parts I want to bring up that need more isolation or direct work so I can't help my self but to keep doing more exercises , gettin ready for a family vacation and would like to start something new to build size when I get back

Plus i always screw myself up with diet, I have always been so focused on weight gain , I feel great in the winter / fall with a shirt on I look big , when I cut in spring /summer my shirts get loose in the shoulders so I never finish a cut completely cause I start to feel skinny and still have a belly so I look worse for a bit and end up going back to bulking.
I can't help it I'm 5'5 or 5'4 and average between 168 and 175 , probably that 18-20% body fat and have struggled to put on size for years, I think at least. Now I'm 34 and it seems easier almost like I don't need as much food as I think I if I always gain fat when I bulk or even just maintain. I have always been pretty spot on with macros, well at least 80% of the week , lol

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Macros are the most important. I really just started believing this. I am taking this whole week off to do a lot of rehab and prehab work and soft tissue work. I'm feeling almost pain free but still have some injuries that need to be monitored. But diet being on point I'm actually filling out and leaning out simultaneously with zero training (probably Bc I've been over trained / underfed for so long)

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Want I liked about beyond531 was the facepulls 100 reps and the rear self work, medball slams, box jumps/long jumps.. And those joker sets :) idk how to combine it all into one program- and I also don't want to "bastardize" it and render it ineffective
Bump for ideas here