HIIT suggestion?

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
I'm looking to add 1 or 2 sessions HIIT sessions a week. Any good suggestions besides sprints?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like using the elipitcal. What I do is a 5 minute warmup. The first 3 minutes I put the resistance and incline on 1. Then I increase the resistance to 5 for the final two minutes of the warmup. This is something you can adjust the easier it gets. I started on a 1 resistance. Then, I will go all out for 15 seconds then go at a nice pace for 45 seconds. I do this for 10 rounds then a five minute cool down.

Something I am going to try is the battle ropes. I injured my calf so it is difficult to HIIT with my legs. The battle rope is really tough if you haven't used it. I've been playing around with it and it is difficult. I have used it as a finisher in my upper body workouts for the past few sessions and it drains me. I do 15 seconds all out and then just watch the clock and rest for 30 seconds.

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
I'll give the elliptical a try tomorrow then with that incline and resistance. That does sound intense. Are you doing this on training days or on active rest days? I tried the ropes when I was visiting a gym about 6 months ago and they aren't a joke. It'd be tough to end each workout with ropes

ToughMech

Awards
I like to do HIIT sessions that also build muscle. Flipping a tire, pulling a sled, box jumps. When I am sore I do burpees and jump rope switching between them every-other round. I never go over 20 minutes. The rest and work times change based on what I am doing. I can jump rope forever but I cant flip a tire full out for more than 30 seconds.
I would like to try battle ropes as well. I think it would be a big challenge on upper body for me. Those ropes can be pretty heavy.