Topic of the week: Is Overtraining BS?

Page 16 of 16 First ... 141516

1. Quote Originally Posted by Bintherduntht View Post
    He was joking right?
    No idea. My internet sarcasm detector has been broken for many moons.
    Performax Labs Online Rep.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

2. Quote Originally Posted by AlexPowell View Post
    Yes, Exactly.
    The main thing to remember is that everyone's max recoverable volume will be different, however it definitely exists and exceeding it for several months on end will cause long term damage. Most people don't go anywhere near that however I do see people in the gym riding that line a bit too much, especially on arms work!
    Yeah...i actually think it is more common. Than a lot of people admit. How many people go to the gym 6 days a week for years and see very little improvement at all? Lots.

But my view could be skewed because I, personally, don't seem to tolerate much volume/frequency. It's like putting a pale white guy in the sun for 5 hours (me) and a dark skinned African for the same time and then asking them if sunburn is real or a myth. The African may say - sure, if you are put for 10 hours a day and the pale guy will say - yeah, after about 1 hour!!! Look at these blisters!

But I also think many people train with much lower intensities than they realize when they are doing 10 sets per bodypart. If you are not working hard, you will have to have more volume to compensate. Not saying that everyone who tolerates 10-20 sets 2x per week and is natural isn't working hard, but I personally can't even fathom working at a high level for that long and believe it is rare.

Quote Originally Posted by muscleupcrohn View Post
    No idea. My internet sarcasm detector has been broken for many moons.
    What kind of an idiot can't detect sarcasm on the internet?
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    Yeah...i actually think it is more common. Than a lot of people admit. How many people go to the gym 6 days a week for years and see very little improvement at all? Lots.

But my view could be skewed because I, personally, don't seem to tolerate much volume/frequency. It's like putting a pale white guy in the sun for 5 hours (me) and a dark skinned African for the same time and then asking them if sunburn is real or a myth. The African may say - sure, if you are put for 10 hours a day and the pale guy will say - yeah, after about 1 hour!!! Look at these blisters!

But I also think many people train with much lower intensities than they realize when they are doing 10 sets per bodypart. If you are not working hard, you will have to have more volume to compensate. Not saying that everyone who tolerates 10-20 sets 2x per week and is natural isn't working hard, but I personally can't even fathom working at a high level for that long and believe it is rare.

Yes. When we discuss volume what we are actually talking about is time under tension near the point of failure at a certain percentage of max. So someone that does rest pause will need less sets than someone who does pump training but the Time Under Tension at failure is actually the same

4. Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com

5. I’m new here, but can’t imagine how anyone could question if overtraining is real or just an excuse.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by IFN15 View Post
    In my opinion the cns will become overtrained before the body, if enough rest and nutrient intake is present i don't feel the body would become overtrained but so many variables have to be taken into consideration so its possible.
    That just happened to me. I hit full body every other day HARD 12 sets per body part, many until failure. I'm on cycle (my first one) so I figured I'd be a ****ing ******* not to train as hard as I possibley can. Been eating like a freshly woken bear too, easily 1.5 G protein\LB and 1000+ surplus. Gains have been great but all of a sudden my free weight training started to decline rapidly whilst my machine work continued to progress to some extent.I skipped a work-out and did a 66% volume deload and recovered back to baseline. So yes the CNS can get overtrained, but seems to be more a problem for us gung-ho newbies who go off half cocked.

7. Overtraining is real, in particular for natties.

But there is more than "training" to "over"training. Sleep quality and quantity, and stress, are crucial and play a huge role in recovery. I believe a natty trainee with optimal sleep and and minimal stress would still reach overtraining, but with a lot more difficulty compared to a typical worn-out corporate employee.

8. I have been doing Over Training for the last 2 years now,and itís very effective!

9. Quote Originally Posted by BEAST73 View Post
    I have been doing Over Training for the last 2 years now,and it’s very effective!
    Haha, by definition, if it is effective you are not overtraining.

10. Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    I know right. KML!

11. Quote Originally Posted by HIT4ME View Post
    This. Planned overreaching =/= overtraining.
    Facebook.com/pmaxlabs
    www.PerformaxLabs.com
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-06-2015, 08:05 PM
  2. Topic of the Week: Phosphatidic Acid or Arachidonic Acid?
    By MidwestBeast in forum Supplements
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 05-29-2015, 05:20 AM
  3. Topic of the Week: Post Workout - High GI Carbs? Yes or No
    By Driven2lift in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 05-26-2015, 10:43 PM
  4. Topic of the Week: Traditional Bulk and Cut or no?
    By Driven2lift in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 05-21-2015, 01:14 PM