Knee wraps vs sleeves vs straps

R

robert7107

Awards
Which is better?
Bad knee and want to support it... I don't really do a lot of squats never do lunges.. Mainly leg extensions, hack squats, leg press, stiff legs and other varies hamstring exercises... Neoprene don't fit me right always rolling down.. I am getting right size... Never used straps or wraps... I see guys using wraps all the time.....

F

F0xx3r

Awards
I use some cheap sleeves, helps keep my knee compressed and stops it from making noises lol.. tho I'd recommend investing in a good set of sleeves, but wraps are great also, you control the tightness

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You could even use a wrist wrap just below the knee to support it. Knee wraps seem absolutely overboard but I guess if you kept it a very very light wrap...I definitely don't see it improving your knees whatsoever though

What knee sleeves have you tried?

F

F0xx3r

Awards
Wraps seem better since you control the tightness, I personally havet grabbed some yet tho will be soon.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sleeves would be better for what you're doing. Might want to size down or get one with a proper taper if you're not liking the fit.

Wraps do not provide the warmth and lubrication that sleeves provide and compressing your patella down into other bones isn't a great idea, nor is gapping the knee in flexion under load from all of the material built up behind your knee. Wraps were originally ace bandages, which wouldn't clamp your patella, but the knee wraps you buy these days have one purpose: pounds on your squat. They are NOT for people with bad knees.

Get yourself some SBD sleeves that are a size small, use plastic bags and baby powder to allow them to slide up your calves, and address the issues in your ankle and/or hip that are causing knee troubles.

R

robert7107

Awards
Sleeves would be better for what you're doing. Might want to size down or get one with a proper taper if you're not liking the fit.

Wraps do not provide the warmth and lubrication that sleeves provide and compressing your patella down into other bones isn't a great idea, nor is gapping the knee in flexion under load from all of the material built up behind your knee. Wraps were originally ace bandages, which wouldn't clamp your patella, but the knee wraps you buy these days have one purpose: pounds on your squat. They are NOT for people with bad knees.

Get yourself some SBD sleeves that are a size small, use plastic bags and baby powder to allow them to slide up your calves, and address the issues in your ankle and/or hip that are causing knee troubles.
Sorry I didn't elaborate on my bad knee in 1999 I had a forklift dropping ton of pipe on me breaking my tibula and damaging the meniscus in my knee... I have large thighs so the sleeves don't go up over my quads properly they roll down to my knee cap. I used the wraps yesterday on leg press and didn't have any after issue's... I lifted a little heavier than normal I used the wraps for three sets out of 5.. I don't do squats because my form is not good...

I always especially when it is leg day warm up and stretch a good 15 minutes and I wear thick sweatpants....

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
wraps can damage the patella and are meant to help you squat more weight. so do not use those for support.

with knee sleeves, cost can matter SBD's are much longer than normal so it may resolve the rolling down issue. i use rehbands and love them.