Help Design a Program

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Hey guys

My trip is almost over and I'll be heading back home to get immersed in training. Right before I left I got close to the mark but the volume was a bit too much for my goals.

So what I'm trying to accomplish when I come home is to cut/recomp down to 8-10% body fat.

However my training style is what I'm after.

My goals for training are - basically create a hybrid between Starting Strength and Hypertrophy Specific Training.

Upper/Lower split with high frequency. This is my preferred method of training. I enjoy variety and low-medium volume and high frequency. I also want to incorporate just a bit of strength training. My main goal is Hypertrophy but I believe some strength work is another great tool to use.

What I'm having trouble with is fitting it all in somehow while making it effective.

My strength lifts Id prefer are
Bench
BB Row
Standing Military Press
Squats
Deadlifts.

Now that being said. In an attempt to balance my body and not overdo any one exercise too much this is the list of the exercises Id like to incorporate or that I feel are uniquely valuable and different enough to incorporate.

Desired Exercises
•Chest
Bench
Incline Bench
Dips
Flys
Pull Overs
•Back
BB Row
Cable Row
Pull Ups (Wide & Close)
Deadlifts (Rackpulls)
Pull Downs
Shrugs
•Shoulders
Standing Military Press
Lateral Raise
Face Pulls
Reverse Flys
•Abdominals
Ab Machines/Various Exercises
•Triceps
CGBP
Dips
Pushdowns
Skull Crushers
•Biceps
Barbell Curls
Hammer Curls
Incline Curls
Concentration Curls
•Quads
Squats
Leg Press
Leg Extensions
Lunge
•Hamstrings
Stiff Legged Deadlift
Lying Leg Curl
Seated Leg curl
•Calves
Toe Press

I've jotted these down along my travels.

Now deadlifts I have a hard time with doing upper/lower. I try to do 3 cycles of upper/lower a week. So I find deadlifts just run me down because if I put them in lower days my back gets trashed and on upper my hips and hams are sore. So maybe rack pulls is an option. But I would enjoy either as I really want to work on my grip as I found my grip ****ting itself at 3 plates. Which made me think of shrugs to improve my ability to hold heavy loads.

I was thinking of something along the line of 3 different upper routines (ABC) and possibly 2 lower routines (AB) to fit it all in because then I could put a strength movement in each day for Bench, Row, OHP, Squats, *some sort of leg curl

My final dilemma is the volume. I feel like I should push for about 12-16 sets total a week for each body part. Then to somehow incorporate enough strength sets into those 12-16 to make it practical and be of benefit. I feel like 3x3-5 would be sufficient for each exercise? Then x amounts of sets in the 8-12 range and I feel like sets in the 12-20 range would be of benefit as well.

As you can see I've got a lot of ideas on the go and have thought about it all during my roughly 6 weeks off training due to travel. I enjoy tinkering with my routine. But I would love to strike a good balance between 5x5/SS, PHAT and HST. I believe it's possible and figured it would be fun to get some involvement in the forums the few days before I'm back. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks all.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
google dan john. read his workouts, follow it exactly as written and enjoy the gainz.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
google dan john. read his workouts, follow it exactly as written and enjoy the gainz.
Any particular one - on the site now but don't see any specific workout. Hostel wifi is also terribly slow.

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
Are you wanting to do some form of linear periodization?
Kick a** name by the way haha

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
Im starting a DUP training program on monday, may not be exactly what your looking for solely because of the deadlifts. but with the program comes an alternative to doing traditional deadlifts. same with each lift there is an alternative you could put in its place. also, it includes strength, growth and power into each 3 week cycle which is followed by a deload week.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Look into non-linear periodization. One of the most effective ways to train for any goal