Thoughts on the gym and gym culture

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
***Thoughts on Gyms, Culture, and Training***

The Gym… Sometimes it’s a confusing place. Is it that area you can let your inner demons out and unleash; Is it the “Compound,” and the “training ground” or is it a place where you have to be all prim and proper. Not too loud, not too aggressive, cage your demons and be cool, calm and collected?

There is a reason I can’t train at ‘fitworks,’ LA, or god forbid planet fitness. These places are entirely unmotivating, and do not fit my lifting personality. That’s right, lifting personality. We all have one… It’s that person in the gym, that person that in some way shape or form differs from you in the work place or you with your friends, or really anywhere else.

Every gym has its own particular culture and with it expectations. Fit the mold son! Fit the mold! That culture may change as the gym grows, such things are expected. But as a lifter your first responsibility is to find that environment and culture where you can thrive. Remember it’s the gym; you are there to accomplish your goals and let your issues be unleashed. Finding an environment conducive to that is crucial for success in accomplishing those goals. How can you really expect to thrive in an environment that isn’t encouraging you to do so? That jokes, makes light of, or discourages the very things that motivate you to push harder.

Some examples of gym culture differences can be quite blatant; some gyms have guys running around with their shirts off, mirrors all over the place… no big deal. Others, no mirrors, bodies mostly covered, and it’s almost taboo to take that shirt off. Don’t even get caught taking a shirtless pic son, don’t even! Some gyms are loud, people yelling… grunting, and backs being smacked before heavy lifts. Others, calm and serene… the quite before the storm. Two totally different gym environments and cultures. Where do you fit in, and does it even matter?

Whether those environmental details matter is entirely up to you… how much of your lifting is an external expression or internal. Me personally the difference is huge and I am just an ******* in the gym. I am loud, I cuss, I take my ****in’ shirt off, I sniff my Ammonia, and I grunt to force out that last rep, I am snappy and when I am all geared up and ready to roar I am READY. Let me under that bar and do battle. In the words of my first coach/mentor I am a “knuckle head.” Yes… yes I am.
The more aggressive, amped, and psychotic I am on a max effort day is directly related to my performance. The more calm and serene I am translates to passivity under the bar, this guy doesn’t smash PRs by being passive. No by being aggressive and psychotic I can do my first bench workout in 2 months after surgery on both biceps and nail 405x2 and my 2nd week training I can nail 405 for 2 sets of 4 reps… Grunting, yelling… being a ‘douche.’

Performance and emotion are related. I can go to the gym one day calm and serene and get almost buried under a 545lbs squat, and come in a week later ready to rumble, psycho on 100 and smash 570lbs… Which do you want? 545lbs calm and feeling like a flower on a cool summer day, or an aggressive caged animal READY… 570lbs SMASH.

In the environment I started lifting in aggression was encouraged, you are there to smash weights and forget your life issues, to cuss and yell and make light of whatever you want. CT Fletcher comes to mind… That doesn’t appeal to everyone, but I can tell you this. Throw me in a lifting cage with a bunch of aggressive go-getters and I am bound to smash a PR… put me in a lifting cage that’s quite and serene and I am going to walk away thinking… damn I could have done more.

Am I a *******? Yes! am I wanted in your particular gym… probably not. But damnit, I love what I do and how I do it. I like joking about them fat girls, yelling, grunting, taking a giant whiff of ammonia, filling my chest up, lowering the bar and grunting out that last rep. I like throwing my belt aside when I am done and thinking god damn that bar is my bitch. And when I am done I just might snap a picture and think… hmm I am big as **** right now, I need to lose this side fat though…Jiggle Jiggle

-Peace out…

Please feel free to follow me on FB always looking for support from my peers

Www.facebook.com/kbrownfitness

TonyBraga

TonyBraga

Awards
IMO being agressive is normal
You want to dominate the weights
Lifting in calm place is like reading a book in the middle of a loud ass crowd

WRONG PLACE MOFO!

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When I first started at my gym, people looked at me like I didn't belong there. It's a high end gym with a lot of perks and in the "rich" area of town. It made me miss going to 24 hour fitness but I had signed up for a whole damn year.

I stay to myself a lot, I wipe down before and after I use a machine, I unrack my plates, and wipe my chalk off the bars and ground.

Many people think I'm a f'n douche but I don't care, I'm not there for them. I do try to be nice to everyone who approaches me and help as much as I can. :D

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lots of thinking going on. LOL. I go in, get done what I am there for and then I'm out to enjoy the fruits of my labor and really don't give anyone a thought.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
when I am training all I care about is the person staring back at me when i look in the mirror, no one else.

But still be respectful of course lol

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well written, KB. Respect. My fire is a little more internal, but there are some days where I need to let out a roar and get smacked up some.

elhosk

Awards
Good read, I haven't stepped foot in a gym in over a year since I invested in creating a home gym which has made all the difference personally. All about bashing out some sets at 2am :)

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
[video]https://youtu.be/dHGeF0QIO-s[/video]

Nice training session
425lbs for 4 sets of 2

Lots of volume with heavy weight

Yes 4 doubles is considered volume when operating at above 75% your 1rm

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
No gyms around here like you are speaking of, sadly. Unless you want to go the prison nearby, but I don't think you want to be yelling with your mouth wide open while benching. Gonna get a dick in your mouth that way lol

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
When I first started at my gym, people looked at me like I didn't belong there. It's a high end gym with a lot of perks and in the "rich" area of town. It made me miss going to 24 hour fitness but I had signed up for a whole damn year.

I stay to myself a lot, I wipe down before and after I use a machine, I unrack my plates, and wipe my chalk off the bars and ground.

Many people think I'm a f'n douche but I don't care, I'm not there for them. I do try to be nice to everyone who approaches me and help as much as I can. :D
Quite honestly it sound like you'd be really good at following me around the gym tidying up after me. What do you say??

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Quite honestly it sound like you'd be really good at following me around the gym tidying up after me. What do you say??
You actually lift?!?

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Oh my, could you get any more vain??

;)
lol i don't want to be distracted when I train. I like to be in the 'zone'.

Checking out other guys happens before the workout, from my front desk :)

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love my gym. Awesome powerlifting gym where I happen to be one of the weaklings, but that's cause everyone in this gym is so damn strong/jacked. Awesome workout environment because they play good music (house/trap/rock) and the people here aren't a-holes and actually try to help you out.

plifter42

Awards
Lot of betas at my gym. Can't even wear sleeveless shirts anymore without being the center of attention. Used to only wear tank tops at my old gym... Now at my new gym it's t-shirts every day except for arms day... Gotta have the sleeveless for arms day.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established

Getting nestled into my new home at Beat Personal Training.
Today revealed my tricep weakness, which is understandable being that I've done remarkably little tricep work since being back.
2 sets of 2 at 435lbs. Third set I violated my program and tried to do a triple, them baby triceps failed.
Weakness identified time to smash some heavy tricep work
405 3 boards and skull crushers.

Next week gonna back off and work on 405 before going back up to 440 in two weeks.

My training won't involve a max for another month or so!

[video]https://youtu.be/H89OPC47pb0[/video]

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
kBrown; you look amazing!

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
So what is the point in benching with a belt? Does it help any?

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
So what is the point in benching with a belt? Does it help any?
It gives my belly something to push against which is a que for me to get leg drive

Captn_the

Captn_the

Banned
Awards
***Thoughts on Gyms, Culture, and Training***

The Gym… Sometimes it’s a confusing place. Is it that area you can let your inner demons out and unleash; Is it the “Compound,” and the “training ground” or is it a place where you have to be all prim and proper. Not too loud, not too aggressive, cage your demons and be cool, calm and collected?

There is a reason I can’t train at ‘fitworks,’ LA, or god forbid planet fitness. These places are entirely unmotivating, and do not fit my lifting personality. That’s right, lifting personality. We all have one… It’s that person in the gym, that person that in some way shape or form differs from you in the work place or you with your friends, or really anywhere else.

Every gym has its own particular culture and with it expectations. Fit the mold son! Fit the mold! That culture may change as the gym grows, such things are expected. But as a lifter your first responsibility is to find that environment and culture where you can thrive. Remember it’s the gym; you are there to accomplish your goals and let your issues be unleashed. Finding an environment conducive to that is crucial for success in accomplishing those goals. How can you really expect to thrive in an environment that isn’t encouraging you to do so? That jokes, makes light of, or discourages the very things that motivate you to push harder.

Some examples of gym culture differences can be quite blatant; some gyms have guys running around with their shirts off, mirrors all over the place… no big deal. Others, no mirrors, bodies mostly covered, and it’s almost taboo to take that shirt off. Don’t even get caught taking a shirtless pic son, don’t even! Some gyms are loud, people yelling… grunting, and backs being smacked before heavy lifts. Others, calm and serene… the quite before the storm. Two totally different gym environments and cultures. Where do you fit in, and does it even matter?

Whether those environmental details matter is entirely up to you… how much of your lifting is an external expression or internal. Me personally the difference is huge and I am just an ******* in the gym. I am loud, I cuss, I take my ****in’ shirt off, I sniff my Ammonia, and I grunt to force out that last rep, I am snappy and when I am all geared up and ready to roar I am READY. Let me under that bar and do battle. In the words of my first coach/mentor I am a “knuckle head.” Yes… yes I am.
The more aggressive, amped, and psychotic I am on a max effort day is directly related to my performance. The more calm and serene I am translates to passivity under the bar, this guy doesn’t smash PRs by being passive. No by being aggressive and psychotic I can do my first bench workout in 2 months after surgery on both biceps and nail 405x2 and my 2nd week training I can nail 405 for 2 sets of 4 reps… Grunting, yelling… being a ‘douche.’

Performance and emotion are related. I can go to the gym one day calm and serene and get almost buried under a 545lbs squat, and come in a week later ready to rumble, psycho on 100 and smash 570lbs… Which do you want? 545lbs calm and feeling like a flower on a cool summer day, or an aggressive caged animal READY… 570lbs SMASH.

In the environment I started lifting in aggression was encouraged, you are there to smash weights and forget your life issues, to cuss and yell and make light of whatever you want. CT Fletcher comes to mind… That doesn’t appeal to everyone, but I can tell you this. Throw me in a lifting cage with a bunch of aggressive go-getters and I am bound to smash a PR… put me in a lifting cage that’s quite and serene and I am going to walk away thinking… damn I could have done more.

Am I a *******? Yes! am I wanted in your particular gym… probably not. But damnit, I love what I do and how I do it. I like joking about them fat girls, yelling, grunting, taking a giant whiff of ammonia, filling my chest up, lowering the bar and grunting out that last rep. I like throwing my belt aside when I am done and thinking god damn that bar is my bitch. And when I am done I just might snap a picture and think… hmm I am big as **** right now, I need to lose this side fat though…Jiggle Jiggle

-Peace out…

Please feel free to follow me on FB always looking for support from my peers

Www.facebook.com/kbrownfitness
Lol this all sounds like a lame attempt to promote your business via Facebook. Are you a paying sponsor or just a cheapskate?

snyderd1972

snyderd1972

Awards
Lol this all sounds like a lame attempt to promote your business via Facebook. Are you a paying sponsor or just a cheapskate?
Captn I'm just gonna follow you around and agree with you! Yes op you have an impressive physique but there is gym etiquette and unspoken rules so you don't look like a fool. I'm glad I work out at home so I don't have to listen to this nonsense.

snyderd1972

snyderd1972

Awards
A man with a home gym is a blessed man! :daydream:
It is awesome and my wife is a strong spotter. I'll try to post some pics of my "gym" but I have everything I need and never have to standby while someone takes a selfie or blogs about there workout!

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Captn I'm just gonna follow you around and agree with you! Yes op you have an impressive physique but there is gym etiquette and unspoken rules so you don't look like a fool. I'm glad I work out at home so I don't have to listen to this nonsense.
Well I'm not exactly training at LA fitness

I am talking about the need for power gyms and underground BB gyms that don't get watered down and diluted by the need to "keep it clean"

EDBANGER

EDBANGER

Awards
My old gym was a full on Powerlifting/Strongman set up with floors dirty with chalk and tacky. I saw all kinds of lifters in there, the loud shouters, the stomp around before the lifters, the crazy pre routine people and the quiet, contemplaters. What I saw was it doesn't matter which of those categories you fall into it's the self belief and encouragement from around you that pushes a PB. Just like on the platform during a competition with the crowd roaring as you grind out a PB. The guy who owned the gym is a 400kg+ squatter and he doesn't scream or shout before a lift, he just looks focused. For me personnaly I think a lot of energy is wasted pre lift with all the shouting and stomping. I like to get myself into the right place with pre lift triggers and concentration. Everything from which wrist wrap I put on first to how I approach and first make contact with the bar is exactly the same everytime which focuses my mind for the task ahead. As you say though we're all different. One thing I definitely don't subscribe to is all this bollocks talk about Alpha and Beta male. The dog with the loudest bark doesn't always have the biggest bite as they say.

JG93

JG93

Awards
I put headphones in and do my thing. I ignore everyone else and push weight. If I had a gym with someone to lift with, different story.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To paraphrase an appropriate expression "The weights do not know what gym they are in"....You go and do your routine wherever there are weights. If you are a nuisance to others, which can be manifested in many forms, then you are the problem. Good conduct never goes out of style or has a culture. If you think I am wrong of course there is the douchebags in the gym thread in General Chat section.

I realize people are wired differently and some folk need to be loud and talkative etc and others find their mojo from inner focus and concentration. I enjoy competing against others but my main rival is my own previous workout so I do not need the 5.0bros. to encourage.... The important aspect for me in a gym is to do my routine well and safe, cleanup my area after my final set, and be considerate of others.

Ironically I workout at LA Fitness... my brother works out at an old school gym, Porky's, the latter were recently sold to U-Fit, a chain which caters to a less serious demographic, I understand a number of the regulars acted as if they were in mourning because of the expected shift in culture. The handover occurred and after some new equipment and paint and guess what, the old school types still go and workout only now they have novices and the less serious there alongside them.

Steve Rogers

Steve Rogers

Awards
I attack the gym tactical style. I know what I'm there for and what I'm doing. I keep to myself, put my headphones on and get to work. I swear some people just like to "hang out" at the gym. If you're on a bench texting, I've giving you the stink eye and circling you. I hate to be a dick, but I have a routine I need to get done. You can text by the water fountain or in the locker room!

I'm not a loud grunter or yeller. I can work myself up into a quiet rage. I've noticed in the past few months more and more people are looking at me, I must be doing something right. A guy in the locker room Monday said, "Hey man you've been hitting it pretty hard. I almost didn't recognize you...I was like is that the same guy from a few months ago?!"

I'm focused like a laser beam in the gym. That's my "me" time. I get to be vain, selfish and alpha.