Really? shoulder press lagging

Snipervirus17

Awards
Good afternoon fellow lifters. I have a dilemma I need to share and hopefully I can get some helpful information on it. I am currently 177lbs at about 10% or so bf 5'11" and I've been lifting for 2 years. I recently just started the "Starting Strength Advanced Novice Program", this is my second stab at this program since I had to stop in the middle of it before about 7 months ago. Also today was the end of my 2nd week. Ended on Squat, Standing OHP, and weighted pullups just a few hours ago.

Now before I explain it further, I am not doing a staggered stance, feet are about shoulder width apart and my hand position is kind of wide (pinkies are wrapped around the single ring on an olympic bar). I have only been on this program for 2 weeks and yes I have tried deloading/resetting weight in the past and it hasn't worked, I've tried going down as much as 20 pounds and slowly working back up passed 125 but it doesn't work.

I have always struggled on this lift and can't figure out anything that could help, should I try another exercise? Or should I just keep trying? or what? nothing seems to work.

Thanks guys

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just from the sounds of it, you need some technique adjustments. I go with a staggered stance as I find it more spinal protective and easier to engage the lower body. I'd also bring in your grip 1-2" per side. Are you making sure to press the bar backwards?

Snipervirus17

Awards
Just from the sounds of it, you need some technique adjustments. I go with a staggered stance as I find it more spinal protective and easier to engage the lower body. I'd also bring in your grip 1-2" per side. Are you making sure to press the bar backwards?
After doing a staggered stance for a while i was told to stand with the stance i do now. I get suggestions on going a bit wider stance with a narrower grip, I was going to go for the narrower grip first because my stance already seems wide enough. I could try the staggered if that would be beneficial enough though. I haven't done it in a long time, maybe try that again. Thanks!

capo180

Awards
  • Established
I do about a thumb away from smooth on an oly bar. The OHP moves pretty slow compared to other lifts at least for most guys. And make sure to squeeze the glutes and get everything tight. Shoot the head forward and get the bar back as it's going overhead.

Snipervirus17

Awards
I do about a thumb away from smooth on an oly bar. The OHP moves pretty slow compared to other lifts at least for most guys. And make sure to squeeze the glutes and get everything tight. Shoot the head forward and get the bar back as it's going overhead.
Most everyone I talk to says go narrower grip so I'll probably go narrower. I used to do it like that and thought it would hit my shoulders better by doing them wider, which is why i've been sticking with them, but I guess it is time to go back.

What are your thoughts on my stance? Fine, too wide, go wider?

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Try a narrower grip... Also IMO OHP is easily the most difficult lift to progress in.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Most everyone I talk to says go narrower grip so I'll probably go narrower. I used to do it like that and thought it would hit my shoulders better by doing them wider, which is why i've been sticking with them, but I guess it is time to go back.

What are your thoughts on my stance? Fine, too wide, go wider?
Stance wise I don't do anything crazy, probably about the same stance I do while deadlifting. So somewhat narrow. It's just where ever you feel you can get the tightest and be the most stable.

Snipervirus17

Awards
Well I did notice yesterday that when I was doing a wider grip it kind of bothered my shoulder a bit, not crazy but maybe that had something to do with it. I go narrow on deadlifts as well. Only thing I don't do that on is squat and bench but I'll hit it up on ohp next Monday and we will see what's up with it. Might have to try some new things now

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I too find a little wider than thumb-from-smooth works best for me. Oddly, I am stronger thumbless, too. When I do do wider pressing for hypertrophy work i find them to be a lot harder and agitate my shoulders some.

Snipervirus17

Awards
I'll give it a try maybe some good will come out of it

snyderd1972

snyderd1972

Awards
I would prioritize ohp and do it first in my workout if I wanted to get stronger at it especially before squats. Also up your food intake from your stats your very lean that will probably help. If none of that helps I would switch to seated dumbbell presses then come back to ohp in a few weeks.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^^ yep food actually has a lot to do with it. If your carbs r higher ur gunna be stronger. If I'm on a cut with a carb deficit I'm not as strong because I don't have as much energy.

LDubs

LDubs

Awards
Good advice in here. My ohp is painfully slow to progress. I just have to be patient and manipulate other variables besides weight such as rest time and reps.