Pec and Shoulder impingement

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Hey guys,

i'm currently having pain when i externally rotate during the snatch or when i'm in the bottom of a kipping pull-up (i.e. close to the dead hang position).

it is slightly annoying when pressing but not as bad as when trying to receive the bar overhead in the snatch.

I agree my posture isn't super but its not great, i do have a tight thoracic but it's not overly tight to the point of mobility issues.

any help or guidance would be appreciated.

the pain runs from chest across to anterior delt and down into bicep.

thanks guys!!!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Step 1, stop doing xfit

;)

Step 2, check out Cressy's website. He has some shoulder mobility routines posted. Also check out Smitty's site. He has some good stuff too

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Check for trigger points in the infraspinatus. That's my first thought with the external rotation pain and it radiating to the biceps.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Who's smitty?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Check for trigger points in the infraspinatus. That's my first thought with the external rotation pain and it radiating to the biceps.
Sounds more like supraspinatus than infraspinatus. The bottom of a pull-up is one that really irritates it as it basically gives out and the shoulder anteriorly tilts into impingement. You can feel tension with a tight infraspinatus, but it generally doesn't radiate into the pec and biceps like a supraspinatus does. This is something that I have to constantly battle as my supraspinatus is constantly tight or shortened. I wasn't able to bench or do pull-ups for more than 6 months as a result.

Regardless, do real pull-ups and control your descent with your lats. I could go on for awhile as to why a kipping pull-up is terrible and a waste of time, but that's a different point.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Thanks Rodja.
So in terms of treatment do you have any suggestions?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Rodja.
So in terms of treatment do you have any suggestions?
Stop doing CrossFit first and then you'll have to get some trigger point release for the supraspinatus. It's a stubborn little muscle and will require a crap ton of upkeep after this. Make sure that you start to really focus on lengthening the lats and establish a better balance of internal rotators to external rotators. Another terrible thing about CrossFit is that this balance is completely ignored as there's very little work on the external rotators.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I agree whole heartedly with that Rodja but I enjoy it and I am prepping for team regionals next year so it's kinda hard to stop.
I'll get the fiancée the massage it out and get some mobility going for the lats

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Like Josh said, Cressey has a mass amount of shoulder information.

Also, the athletestrainingathletes website will show all the trigger points to work on

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a trigger point book. I can look up where the points are in the shoulder if you like

If you are gonna insist on doing xfit, then at the very least be smart about it. Don't use plyos or old lifts as conditioning tools and periodize your workouts.

What I would suggest is to follow something like WS4SB for 3 or 4 days of the week and on one off day do met con type stuff (sled work, burpees, etc) and on the other do complexes, so something that would resemble a timed WOD but not as random as the WODs tend to be.

WS4SB offers lots of flexibility and varation to keep it feeling new and interesting for you

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like Josh said, Cressey has a mass amount of shoulder information.

Also, the athletestrainingathletes website will show all the trigger points to work on
Yea, shoulders are kinda his thing isn't it?

I still want to take that ride up there with you something and check out the gratson guy. I actually know a guy who is working there now.. maybe he would let me crash at his place

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea, shoulders are kinda his thing isn't it?

I still want to take that ride up there with you something and check out the gratson guy. I actually know a guy who is working there now.. maybe he would let me crash at his place
I'm a half hour from the Graston guy and 45min from Cressey Performance. Let me know, man.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Soooo.... slumber party at Sean's house!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pillow fight!