Fitness / Activity Trackers -- Yay or Nay? Best Product?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Forgive me if I'm covering charted territory here, but a quick glance through the search feature didn't lead me to a thread specifically for this, nor one that was very recent. As you are all aware, there are a ton of products out in this market and that number is only growing. It seems like there is a product for every single niche, but there are clear favorites (both in the bargain category as well as the high end -- just like headphones and plenty of other accessories).

Admittedly, I haven't researched these in much depth. I did for a while at one time, but it seems like things change rapidly in this market. I have a Body Media (now owned by Jawbone) Fit link armband that I got a few years ago. At the time, it was touted as the most accurate product in the market as far as caloric expenditure (claiming 90%+ accuracy). It wasn't uncomfortable, but it wasn't sleek or subtle, either. The sensor itself is the size of a big watch face and it snaps into an arm band similar to the old ones you used to see when iPods first came out -- also worn on the upper left arm (between the delt and tricep, pretty much). If you were without sleeves or wearing a tighter shirt, it was very noticeable. Again, not a huge deal, but certainly not appealing to the eyes. It also wasn't water resistant, so you had to take it off when doing any type of pool activities and obviously during showers. The latter isn't a big deal, but the former required you to go out of your way to key in activity length and description to estimate calorie burn -- just extra work.

Lately, the majority of products seem to be wristbands. That's obviously a much easier sell in terms of the aesthetics and also just being less of a hassle for something new to adopt. It's like tossing on a(nother) bracelet -- not too hard to get used to.

From some quick reading this afternoon, it seems the caloric expenditure part is still pretty hard to nail down and that's what most of us want them for (though distance traveled, sleep patterns, etc. are all very nice things to have).

So, do any of you utilize a product in this category? If not, why? If so, which one? Why did you choose that particular one? What are the pros and cons you've observed? And what are you most excited to see in the future -- near or far -- that may have already been mentioned as new technology (be it hardware or accompanying software)?

Discuss!

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed. Have been looking into these for me and my wife. Have heard that the jawbone is the best for our needs and have heard the fit bit battery is crap. Definitely looking for some more insight

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
I've asked several friends that use different ones. As yates84 mentioned, the FitBit seems to have a poor battery life. I've heard great things about the Garmin Vivofit (battery lasts a year) & the Up (by Jawbone) from personal experiences. Reviews online are all over the place for these things. So, I'm definitely interested in hearing more from personal experiences!!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Really liking my Microsoft Band. Only complaints I have is the plastic, shiny bezel scratches (touch display does not).

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I work in a smaller office and happen to be the only male full-time staff member (we have some male faculty and part-time employees, but not anyone else here on a daily basis). Anyway, they have weight watchers at work and a large number of the women all have fitbits. But they generally use them for counting steps and such.

I couldn't care less about how many steps I take lol. I'm merely curious about caloric expenditure as an overall -- that's priority number one. Secondary things I'd want to see are caloric expenditure during exercise windows (e.g. when I play basketball for 2 hours, how much do I burn if playing half court vs. full court), sleep patterns just to see if certain things have an impact on my sleep (e.g. starting a new supplement, new diet, etc.).

That's really all I'd care about in one of these, but it seems what I'd like to see most (and I assume what most of those on this forum would want to see most, as well) is the hardest part to narrow down. The Body Media Fit Link armband worked pretty well; just a pain to deal with compared to something on your wrist. Additionally, it required you pay a monthly subscription fee ($7) to use the software. Not a huge investment, but still, extra money you're investing beyond the initial cost.

One question I'd have with the wrist models is how about if you're wearing straps for heavy pulls -- does it mess you up? Do you just take it off for that part?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
Another thing I'm seeing while looking & researching is problems with the apps used to sync to your phone...if that's how you'll be tracking. I too want something that gives me a more accurate caloric expenditure. I use MyFitnessPal & it gives a rough estimate for weight lifting & calisthenics, but I'd like to know how much I burn while chasing a toddler at the park in the heat of the day for 2 hrs as well. I have read that (although that seem to be a favorite among most) not all the FitBit models stay on well. So, they can easily be lost. Not cool. One I haven't seen much about in articles, but was just reminded about is the Samsung Gear Fit...if you have a Samsung phone or device (tablet). I'm still in the depths of researching & reaching out to friends for personal experiences. I'll come back as I have more to share.

clown007

clown007

Awards
Check out atlaswearables.com
Its not out yet but looks pretty cool. I have been following it for some time now. I'd like it to be released so that there could be some reviews on it, but the concept behind it looks fantastic.

-clown

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
Check out atlaswearables.com
Its not out yet but looks pretty cool. I have been following it for some time now. I'd like it to be released so that there could be some reviews on it, but the concept behind it looks fantastic.

-clown
Those do look promising. Is there a projected release date? I didn't see one. They are a bit pricey though. So, real world experiences/reviews would be nice before buying....even though preordering is an option now.

clown007

clown007

Awards
The price is kind of high, but if it actually works the way its supposed to it should be phenomenal.

As for shipping dates:
(from the site)
At this point, we have been given a timeline from our manufacturer that forecasts delivery to start in late June of 2015. If you placed your order on or before August 31st 2014, your Atlas will be sent with the first batch between late June-August.

If you placed your order after August 31, 2014, your Atlas will be sent out starting in September. We will be reaching out to everyone towards the beginning of June to confirm shipping addresses and band colors.

Hopefully fairly soon reviews will be coming out on the technology.

-clown

thorsdad31

thorsdad31

Awards
  • Established
I have a fit bit flex had it since Christmas and I like it allot. Don't think it's as accurate as it should be, but it's good to give you an idea of your cals. What i really like is the GPS function to track my jogs with my dog

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have two, a fit bit and something else that I never learned to use. Some day, I hope to not be so damn lazy and start utilizing one.

clown007

clown007

Awards
That's the potentially cool thing with the Atlas and why I am quite interested. Apparently it is designed to measure based on your movements (squats, bench press...). The company is building a library/database of movements to help with the accuracy of the algorithms used. Its the first monitor I've seen that is specifically geared to weight-training activities!

-clown

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's the potentially cool thing with the Atlas and why I am quite interested. Apparently it is designed to measure based on your movements (squats, bench press...). The company is building a library/database of movements to help with the accuracy of the algorithms used. Its the first monitor I've seen that is specifically geared to weight-training activities!

-clown
Looks very promising, will be watching these. Repped

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
They do look very promising. Can't wait to see some of the reviews when consumers/users start getting them!! Will be watching those very closely. Thanks clown007 for the heads up. I hadn't even heard of Atlas Wearables, but now they have my attention!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
New week and a new little bump!

Interested to hear the thoughts of others. Just talked to one of my students who has the Fitbit Charge (non HR model) and she said she really likes it. She wanted the HR model, but they didn't have it available when she purchased. Said she only charges it about once a week and it only takes about 10 minutes to do.

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
There is a new tracker coming out that also tracks the exercises and number of reps you do without programming it in. It's called Atlas wearables

EDIT: I see somebody beat me to mentioning it, but seriously take a look at the tech behind atlas wearables. Very cool stuff

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll have to look into it. Saw the Fitbit Flex was on sale today and looked at all their models compared (planning to pick something up for my wife eventually). Excited as tech advances in this field.

clown007

clown007

Awards
I think the Atlas could really move things in a new and interesting direction! They even have a "movement project" where people wear the device at their location and go through workouts, so that the algorithms can be mapped and tested with different body types.
I'm really looking forward to when these become available!

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
I'll have to look into it. Saw the Fitbit Flex was on sale today and looked at all their models compared (planning to pick something up for my wife eventually). Excited as tech advances in this field.
I had a fit bit, but hated wearing it on the wrist, the material gave me a rash especially since i sweat a lot. The idea is good, but unless other people you know have it, there are other fitness trackers that do the job better. I only like fitbit because I have competitions with the family to see who can get the most steps!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The BodyMedia Fit Link armband worked really well at everything for me as far as calculating it all, but I hated wearing it above my tricep. Reminded me of my first ipod armband -- just don't enjoy having something up there. Plus, the displays on some of these new ones are pretty cool, though I honestly don't need/want a full-blown smart watch (I loathe those lol).

I can't wait til we have the best available at a reasonable price. I don't mind dropping a few hundred if it holds up and actually does the job right. The problem is there are all these $40 pieces people see and it's hard to convince anyone to pay $200 when those are out there. Granted, most other people don't need anything beyond that, though. I'm just OCD so I want things as accurate as possible.

iceman99uc

Awards
I purchased an older model of the jawbone (UP24). It doesn't have a heartrate monitor, but it is decent for tracking steps and seems to monitor your "active" level for calorie expenditure. Not sure how truly accurate it is, but it seems to be ok. The thing I like most is that it links to myfitnesspal and will adjust your daily calorie goal based on your activity level (default is non-negative, but you can change that).

It's fairly comfortable to wear. It's not a strap on deal, more of a flexible wrist bracelet. you just flex it out and it closes around your wrist deal. Easy to change from active to sleep mode. Charge last at least a week and charges in 10-15 min (I charge mine at my desk at work).

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I remember hearing a lot of hype about the Fuel Band when it was first about to be released, but never heard a peep afterward.

http://www.dailysale.com/nike-fuelband-fitness-tracker-assorted-colors.html

Brad's Deals has another promo code to take another $10 off.

So if this was decent at all, this is a heck of a deal. But I hadn't heard enough to invest $50 vs. just saving that $50 to put toward something more expensive but that actually works better.

sinewave3

sinewave3

Awards
  • Established
Fitbit charge HR fan, but for basics the free Moves app will use your smartphones motion processor to track steps and activity.

Would love to test out that Apple watch, too

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I remember hearing a lot of hype about the Fuel Band when it was first about to be released, but never heard a peep afterward.

http://www.dailysale.com/nike-fuelband-fitness-tracker-assorted-colors.html

Brad's Deals has another promo code to take another $10 off.

So if this was decent at all, this is a heck of a deal. But I hadn't heard enough to invest $50 vs. just saving that $50 to put toward something more expensive but that actually works better.
As an FYI, it looks like that deal rolled back over onto today, too.

I did a little looking last night just because well, why not. Amazon reviews (everything recent) made it sound like you weren't getting more than 5-6 months before this thing broke and became useless.

clown007

clown007

Awards
Found this fitness monitor the "Push"
http://www.trainwithpush.com
yates84 and YatesWifey04 - maybe something you guys might be interested in.

clown007

clown007

Awards
Looked interesting- still aiming to get the atlas when it becomes available, but the Push seemed to be similar in nature.

Mumbles01

Mumbles01

Awards
  • Established
I love my apple watch for my fitness tracking.
The apps like myfitnesspal are awesome to check out on a glance.
And being able to see progress is pretty darn motivating.

clown007

clown007

Awards
I want an Apple watch, but just can't drop the cash for it. I am an Apple fan but my wallet isn't!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looked interesting- still aiming to get the atlas when it becomes available, but the Push seemed to be similar in nature.
Bryce Lewis and dr zourdos are working on a cheap tendo but equally as effective at tracking bar speed

clown007

clown007

Awards
Thats cool! I'll have to google that.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use a Polar FT7 HR monitor. Ideal for those HIIT days- sprints & circuit stuff. Input own values and it indicates how long in/out of Zone + timer for the rest period in-between sets. I like it.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A good portion of my family are Fitbit users. Not sure if anything is actually useful for someone like me. I would prefer something with a HR, as ideally that is priority 1 or 1a. Been looking at the Polar m400 with the heart rate tracker. Great reviews just pricey

sinewave3

sinewave3

Awards
  • Established
That Atlas one sounds sweet when it finally comes out!

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
I'm still keeping an eye out for reviews on the Atlas Wearables!!

clown007

clown007

Awards
Check out AtlasEngine if you have an iPhone. Its the software the Atlas will be using. Its not fully functional as in having all the bells and whistles it will have, but is a cool looking piece of software. It can auto detect exercise movements like pushups, jumping jacks... and counts reps.
Looks more and more intriguing.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I tried on the Fitbit Surge today and was impressed. It is quite large but it has its own heart monitor as well as all the bells and whistles. One of the online tech reviewers suggested it over the apple watch for those who are more serious about fitness

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I took the plunge and ordered the Fitbit Surge and will have it next Tuesday. I am embarrassed to admit but I ordered it from QVC and it cost only $45 to get it home. I have 30 days to return it. If I like it and intend to keep it, I will have a total of 6 monthly payments of $40. Couldn't beat that option

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I took the plunge and ordered the Fitbit Surge and will have it next Tuesday. I am embarrassed to admit but I ordered it from QVC and it cost only $45 to get it home. I have 30 days to return it. If I like it and intend to keep it, I will have a total of 6 monthly payments of $40. Couldn't beat that option
Let me know your ongoing thoughts if you don't mind.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just wanted to update and say I found the Fitbit Charge HR (the step just below the Surge) for ~$110 on Amazon a little less than a month ago and went ahead and bought it. I have to say, I really like it so far. It's small and subtle, but also has a clock function so I can just wear it instead of a watch. You can customize the toggle (via the button on the side), so mine goes: watch, calories burned, HR, distance, steps, floors climbed. I really don't care about anything after the first 3 (though distance is cool to see on the days I play basketball).

Anyway, I don't know how accurate it is or how the algorithm works compared to the Body Media Link armband I wore a couple years ago, but this is way easier to wear. It seems to have me at a lower BMR than that did, but I know that I've had an easier time losing weight since having it on. On the days I play basketball, I'm good -- I burn 4k calories easily. But at my desk job, if I have an off day, I'm burning 2700 at best. And honestly, it's easier to sneak up on that total than what I used to think.

So it's made me make a more conscious effort in tracking things so far. We'll see how it holds up over the long haul and I'll comment further when I can, but I'm very happy so far.

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
I've been considering the HR as well.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just received a Polar M400 as a gift. Impressive piece. Far superior to the FT7 particularly if working outdoors for extended distances. Has GPS.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
I want to get the atlas wearables band. Now that thing looks ****in dope.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think these are only gonna get better and more prevalent. I really like the Charge HR thus far (a month in).

I did see something interesting last week. No idea if it's legit or,not, but it was clothing with sensors built in supposedly capable of measuring muscle activation. Anyone else hear about that before?

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Yeah I saw that , it goes off warmth, did you check out the atlas wearables? its pretty amazing.

rpm57

rpm57

Awards
Any updates on atlas or surge? Looking to get a surge on Black Friday... Thanks!

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Any updates on atlas or surge? Looking to get a surge on Black Friday... Thanks!
There's another one like the atlas but cheaper. Damn. Can't remember the name now. But it's pretty neat. I'm waiting until they come out with something that is an atlas inside a Fitbit.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm still pretty pleased with the Charge HR.

Just grabbed a Flex from NewEgg Flash for 60 shipped for the wife for Christmas.

sinewave3

sinewave3

Awards
  • Established
I'm still pretty pleased with the Charge HR.

Just grabbed a Flex from NewEgg Flash for 60 shipped for the wife for Christmas.
How has your charge HR been durability wise?

My girl had the surge but it got recalled so we upgraded to a charge HR. Button fell off #1 and #2 band got a blister and started coming apart so they just sent another one again.

Customer support has been great and she loves the charge hr, but maybe we just got some bad ones? Or maybe she just works out so hard they explode, lol!