Legs

panserag

Awards
How do i sculpt and build my legs? I dont have chicken legs but i dont have massive legs either. What are some good workouts to do? I already do squats, front squats, hack squats, leg curls, leg press, leg extensions, seated toe raises, and standing calf extensions.... I know im doing everything right but i still feel stuck as if im not making progress... Any suggestions?

white_lie

Awards
  • Established
How much volume per week?
What does the average workout look like and how many times do you do it per week?

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How do i sculpt and build my legs? I dont have chicken legs but i dont have massive legs either. What are some good workouts to do? I already do squats, front squats, hack squats, leg curls, leg press, leg extensions, seated toe raises, and standing calf extensions.... I know im doing everything right but i still feel stuck as if im not making progress... Any suggestions?
Post your leg workout.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do legs 2x a week and I go pretty heavy. Throw in some deadlifts and lunges.

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
Best way is to find an elephant, cruel under it and press that fat b#tch!

Or just do heavy squats.

Which ever method you choose make sure you can't walk properly a little while after as an indicator of doing it right.

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
Id say work legs twice a week. I personally do one day heavy and one day high volume. and make sure you get enough recovery time

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Squat heavy and eat like a monster. Refuse to be small and you will grow.

(Obviously add in accessory work for your legs, but that depends on what parts you want to bring out more)

ctoph11

ctoph11

Awards
Just some relatively unusual things that I have picked up through the years that you could try: sissy squats, staggered stance leg press (or just change up the position of your feet on the leg press and/or sleigh (i.e. low and close for quads and moderate and wider for posterior chain)), occlusion training, and switching up the angles of your toes (from the ankle) on the leg curl, extension and calf raise machines.

But yeah, there are a lotta things that go into it and everything else previously posted are great ways to help with this as well. Eat to grow!

Hope this helped! Keep up the hard work! Happy Training!

elhosk

Awards
Loaded carries are a decent ancillary exercise, especially if you haven't done them before

Swifty2

Swifty2

Awards
The things that made my legs ridiculously big are leg presses with my feet as wide as they can go on the platform and as high up on it as well. I start with two plates on each side and add one plate to each side every set until I hit a max where I can do at least 6 to 8 reps. I'll do as many as 7 to 8 sets. That combined with quality leg extensions squeezing and pausing at the top of the motion. Those both gave me massive legs with deep striations.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leg curls, stiff-legged DLs, an squats for hammys. Sumo deads if you like, too.

Squats, somersault squats, leg press, Bulgarian split squats, lunges, and a helix are my favorite for quads.

Deads, parallel and below squats, and hyperextensions for the booty. Can't have big legs without a big booty.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Squats, somersault squats, leg press, Bulgarian split squats, lunges, and a helix are my favorite for quads.

Deads, parallel and below squats, and hyperextensions for the booty. Can't have big legs without a big booty.
Also, varying rep ranges. Change things up including reps, tempo, rest time/periods, and maybe add a band here and there.

Demongreat88

Demongreat88

Awards
I agree. Squats are too rough on my back at my age. I used to do a flat leg press hammer strength. In early January when all of the resolutioners were using the leg presses and I had to use the Body Master lying leg press. It is essentially a horizontal squat machine. I love it. I too put my feet high and wide for my heavy sets. I realize it hits more of the posterior chain and inner thigh. But that variation for 4 sets and then 3 sets of feet close together and in the middle of the platform to hit my quads is a great workout. It is very similar to squatting.

Swifty2

Swifty2

Awards

That's a lot hehe, I don't do any of those except lunges and my legs are freaky big and cut. Imo leg presses are the single best movement for big wide quads

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
If you don't like squats then leg press, leg curls and lunges (everyone's favourite haha). Maybe some leg extensions too but I heard they can be bad on your knees.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Squat twice per week and take out junk you don't need like leg extensions and leg curls. Focus on compounds and leave isolation for the pretty boys.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's a lot hehe, I don't do any of those except lunges and my legs are freaky big and cut. Imo leg presses are the single best movement for big wide quads
Leg press doesn't activate nearly as much of the quad as front squats, Bulgarians, or walking lunges (with the appropriate stride). They're something that's done as a base by those that can't squat properly or don't have the sack to do so.

Swifty2

Swifty2

Awards
Leg press doesn't activate nearly as much of the quad as front squats, Bulgarians, or walking lunges (with the appropriate stride). They're something that's done as a base by those that can't squat properly or don't have the sack to do so.
You just assume everyone who leg presses doesn't squat? That's a pretty immature statement brother...

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You just assume everyone who leg presses doesn't squat? That's a pretty immature statement brother...
He didn't say that. He said they are done 'as a base' by those who don't squat well or whatever. Meaning, in lieu of squats.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Na that's exactly what he's saying...
No, you just can't comprehend a statement. I clearly said as a base, but you must have missed that part not to mention the leg press primarily hits the VMO.

Swifty2

Swifty2

Awards
No, you just can't comprehend a statement. I clearly said as a base, but you must have missed that part.
I didn't miss anything haha. It's okay though dude I really don't care

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rodja What is your opinion of working up to 1 super heavy set of say 3-5 reps and then followed by the widowmaker with as much weight as i can handle for those 20 reps?

This was my last leg w/o.

Set 1 135x5
Set 2 135x5
Set 3 225x5
Set 4 275x3
Set 5 325x3
Set 6 155x20 Widow Maker Set-took 4 breaks to complete all 20 reps but I got all of them.
DC stretch

Captn_the

Captn_the

Banned
Awards
Following squats I like to load up the smith and do hack squats - nice and deep. Rep range is always high Tom Platt style.

The smith is no substitute for the real thing but it has its place. I've broken plateaus in terms of size and strength with a smith.

Here's the proof:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja What is your opinion of working up to 1 super heavy set of say 3-5 reps and then followed by the widowmaker with as much weight as i can handle for those 20 reps?

This was my last leg w/o.

Set 1 135x5
Set 2 135x5
Set 3 225x5
Set 4 275x3
Set 5 325x3
Set 6 155x20 Widow Maker Set-took 4 breaks to complete all 20 reps but I got all of them.
DC stretch
I'm not a fan of high reps on squats or deads because of the technique breakdown that occurs at high reps. That being said, I do like a lighter set after the heaviest set just not that high of reps. A 20-30% reduction in weight is sufficient and not that high of a reduction.

DB1219

Awards
It appears you are doing a lot of exercises so you work all the muscles. That seems logical but I believe you might be "just getting through " each excercise and not getting full benefit. Try simplifying - one quad, one hamstring and one calf excercise but increase the work each muscle does by increasing reps, sets and focus on form/contraction.

For example, my old squat routine was 3 or 4 sets of squats consisting of say 10, 8, 6, 4 repetitions starting light and ending pretty heavy. I found I was not getting enough work and my form was suffering on the last couple sets. I now prefer 12 to 15 sets. I begin very light and usually do 20 reps for first set. I increase weight by 10 pounds and do another 20 reps. I continue going up 10-20 pounds each set so it looks like this: 20-20-15-15-10-10-8-8-6-6. I then go back down taking weight off 10-20 pounds each descending set 8-10-15 or whatever I feel like that day.

The gradual weight progression helps me keep my form and i get a better leg contraction because of it. My muscles seem to better to the increased reps and better form.

jdg76

jdg76

Awards
  • Established
As you can tell you will get different answers as everyone is going to repspond a little different. Some like squats, some leg presses, other a variety. My brother warms up with squats and then goes heavy on leg presses and has unreal quads.

It seems the best advice would be to start out like DB1219 stated. You are doing a pretty good variation of exercises. So why not cut them back to two or three for awhile and see how you respond? And then you can still vary how you do them i.e. high/low reps, negatives, partials, pauses.