Exhausted after workout

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Every Sunday I attend an outdoor cardio boot camp from 930am to 11am.To provide an idea of what is done: We workout at high tempo with short breaks, running up a steep hill, sprints, burpees, pushups, weighted lunges, etc.etc Burn 1300+cal according to the HR monitor. I get home and have a solid meal around Noon but for hours afterwards am really exhausted. Even a few cups of black coffee do not rouse me. Just bone tired. Not sleepy but tired. Only now about 630pm am I feeling like myself. I have breakfast at 6am BTW.

Have been doing these bootcamps since July 2013 without an issue. But they have been indoors from inception to November last year, has since become outdoors. Had no after workout issues from Nov to maybe late March. I am in Miami and those are the cool months. Now it is up to mid-80s w/occasional spike at low 90s with constant high humidity. I drink about 2 liters of water during the workout and have another 500ml during the drive home. I drink another 2 liters at home during the day.

Otherwise I do the weight and cardio regimen indoors for 45min to 90min without any negative post workout issues for five to six days per week. Air conditioned comfort on those days.

What is occurring? Dehydration? Elevated Cortisol due to the weather and body being heat stressed? How can I avert or control this crash? I guess I am about 11.5-12% BF now if that matters.

NB: I used to be real lean at 149-150lbs before weightlifting and how I feel now reminds me of the after-affects when I would go swimming for hours in the late morning in the Summer.

I used to be very productive on Sundays post-workout and this is a bit frustrating. Never the type to just sit about and languish.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're adapting to a new training stimulus (environment). Nothing to really worry about, but it may help to drink some carbs and BCAA while training.

MJW

MJW

Awards
  • Established
Try taking a good sports multi like orange triad. Doesn't sound like much but worked wonders for me. Also make sure your getting enough calories a day with high amounts of carbs. Sounds like alot of cardiovascular work. The extra carbs will come in handy trust me..

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Just think, it only gets better from here UCSMiami;.. like I am on a new program 6 days/week and the first week totally destroyed me but second week starting to feel like i got more energy. The body def adapts :)

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks but I have been doing these for years without any issues. It is the recent few weekends that have had a lingering fatigue postworkout. Thought it was the weather[heat,humidity], I do not know so posted here.

Best wishes on your workout.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well thought to update. Usual 1.5 hrs outdoor workout yesterday. Hydrated more than usual + setup in the shade + eating immediately afterwards = no fatigue afterwards. Turned the corner apparently. All is well.