Farmers Walk

yzinger

Awards
Hey AM, long time lurker, not many posts.

Have you come across any unique, cheap, inventive ways ways to do farmers walks. I mean, if you were in a gym you could use dumbells or barbells, perhaps even a trap bar etc...what if you want to move some heavy **** at home?

Discuss.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I used to throw chains we had laying in the barn inside of one of my dad's spare truck tires. Dont really know how much weight it was, i usually just carried it across the barn as many times as i could.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You can pretty much use anything for loaded carries. Sandbags, tires, cement blocks. Be creative. Google tnation loaded carries and youll find a good article on different carries and benefits.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Get some five gallon buckets and fill them with water. It's not a whole lot of weight but after u do it acouple times it will burn haha

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pick the old lady up and carry her around for a while

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
Just carry your groceries around to the house a few times before bringing them in.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to take the wheelbarrow and throw what ever I saw in it and then walk the length of the yard as many times as possible.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
galvanized pipe, 10ft, cut in half. got some long bolts and attached 1" x 10" pipe. got some rubber pipe connectors and cut them in half, 1 for each implement. used those as the stopper for the weight. cost me 30 bucks. i have loaded 100's out to the ends and it handles the weight. now it takes several of us to lift each one at that weight, 800lbs, but no issues.

i later got collars and spent more on those than i did on the implements.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Why not just use dumbbells? :dunno:

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
DBs rarely go heavy enough and are much harder to hold as they can roll out of the hand.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Could just throw a pair of fat gripz on dumbells to increase the difficulty

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a pair of hauling hooks which makes dumbbell carries easier as far as not worrying about dropping or the weight rolling. I also have used a loaded trap bar but that takes a lot of space. Great exercise though. Hauling hooks are a great tool to have for heavy ass carries and any kind of heavy loaded pulling to tackle a weight that is beyond your grip strength.