This is why you use a spotter

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
https://www.facebook.com/CanaldoAnder/videos/857695717576449/

Very important to not go to heavy, or push past your exhaustion point while alone.

I will be honest, days without a spot I will jump in a smith machine.

One more rep is not worth the months of training potentially missed if you miss it and injure yourself.

Have anther failed lift video? Share away!

jake.miller23

jake.miller23

Awards
  • Established
Damn thats crazy. He didn't even have a chance at getting that up to begin with

DigitalB

DigitalB

Banned
Awards
That's crazy, he even had stands setup.. But that's the same problem I have with my power rack, if I have the supports low enough to hit my chest, the supports do me no good.. If the supports are high enough to save me, I don't get a full stretch..

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's crazy, he even had stands setup.. But that's the same problem I have with my power rack, if I have the supports low enough to hit my chest, the supports do me no good.. If the supports are high enough to save me, I don't get a full stretch..
Get up on your traps and poke your sternum to the ceiling when you bench. Solves your power rack problem and will add years to your benching career by saving your shoulder joint. If you fail, just flatten out and wriggle out from under it.

DigitalB

DigitalB

Banned
Awards
Get up on your traps and poke your sternum to the ceiling when you bench. Solves your power rack problem and will add years to your benching career by saving your shoulder joint. If you fail, just flatten out and wriggle out from under it.
I'll have to give it a try..
I lift alone so sometimes it poses a problem unless I'm at the gym..

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll have to give it a try..
I lift alone so sometimes it poses a problem unless I'm at the gym..
I bench alone at times as well and it has saved me in the past. I have a big arch, but benching should always have at least a small upper back arch to stretch the pecs and set the shoulders in the socket properly.

And my contribution of why you should not only have spotters, but also make sure they are paying attention:

https://youtu.be/2U2KPXrfai4

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I bench alone at times as well and it has saved me in the past. I have a big arch, but benching should always have at least a small upper back arch to stretch the pecs and set the shoulders in the socket properly.

And my contribution of why you should not only have spotters, but also make sure they are paying attention:

https://youtu.be/2U2KPXrfai4
OMG!!!!!!!!

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been a bit freaked out lately about going heavy because I don't have a spotter. ? Better safe than sorry.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
See the bar slide behind the stand on the one side. Ouch. He took the right precautions but that's just unlucky. Whenever I bench without a spotter I generally hit the Hammer Strength machine. I actually feel I get a better pump on the HS than the regular bench.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Weight should of probably never been in his hands..

But it's all about common sense though, I just leave a rep in the tank at least and not push past 90% or so of my max.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I won't attempt to bench heavy because of my messed up shoulder.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That's so scary!! Luckily anytime I've failed under the bar- I've been able to lay it on my chest or lap and it was obviously nowhere near that much! tuff49 has a story of failing like that! Damaged his neck permanently!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Whenever one is near their 1RM, grab a spotter, even if you're feeling good that day.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Whenever one is near their 1RM, grab a spotter, even if you're feeling good that day.
This was me at benching. I was already fatigued from the high reps and decided to go for a 1RM. I almost took my neck off. ?

compudog

compudog

Awards
I can't understand how the bar got past the safeties. That's not bad luck, that's just bad. He should have lowered it to the safeties when he realised he wasn't going to make the lift, but he freaked out instead and tried to push it.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Phenomenal post.

Also, not having a spotter can very easily be fixed by using a smith machine or like others have said, power rack.

st@ylifting

Awards
I workout at home I just don't lift what I know I can't unless I'm killing it is when I hit New pr