Knee Wraps?

Mongoose6401

Awards
I have played football my whole life though college and played o - line so needless to say my knees are shot. For the last few years I have been squatting with knee wraps for any weight over 225.
For whatever reason yesterday I only squatted with a belt no knee wraps and went up to 315 and took it ass to grass 3x7. Usually I do 4 or 5 reps last set with wraps at 365 lbs.

My strength decreased slightly but I feel like my quads are a lot more sore than normal. Am I doing myself a disservice by squatting with knee wraps? Should I continue Squatting without knee wraps and just go lighter? Does squatting without wraps activate the quads more?

I was nervous about knee injuries which is why I started wrapping up but I had no knee pain just stiffness not using them yesterday.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Squatting deep with good technique will strengthen and rehab your knees. The wraps give you a lot of support in the bottom, so doing without will definitely make you more sore. Try squatting without wraps as much as you can, but if you get a day where your knees are sore, by all means, wrap up. If you wanna go a little heavier on your last set or two, throw the wraps on.

Its a double edged sword in lifting: the less equipment you wear, the more you can tax the muscles at lighter weight. But also the less equipment you wear, the more you expose your body to wear and tear. Try to walk the line as best you can, man.

Good luck, and happy squatting!

blaze01

Banned
Awards
Squat without until you absolutely need it deep squats and good form on the contrary are good for your knees

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Wraps will help you handle heavier loads, that's it. There's no evidence that knee wraps (or sleeves) will do anything to protect your knees. In fact, wrap your knees tight as hell all the time and you'll be worse off.

Mongoose6401

Awards
Thanks. I think I'll try to continue squatting without them and only wrap up if I feel pain or want to go a little heavier on the last set. I'm trying to lift as raw as possible but not ready to give up my belt or straps quite yet.