Training Ideas for Surfing (and other sports...)

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Like the title says.. Training for surfing and other sports that require flexibility, leanness & endurance.

I'm currently 45 and I've been surfing for 33 years. I've been working out / lifting weights off and on
for about 27 of those years. But I've always worked out for either strength or size. I never worked out
to enhance my surfing. And because of this I believe that it has hindered my surfing. It negatively effects
my flexibility for getting up quickly, and it effects my muscle endurance when paddling for long periods.

Now that i'm a little older & somewhat wiser, I've decided to quit lifting for size and start lifting and exercising
to make my surfing abilities better.

Does anyone here surf or do some other similar sport that requires you to be lean, flexible and have
a lot of stamina and muscle endurance....?

How do you train..? Do you use a specific program...?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.. the warm weather is upon us and water is calling my name :)

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thx kissaj... didn't know Laird had a website like that. i will check it out.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I've trained a bit with being a hockey goalie in mind (extreme flexibility, reaction time, endurance to the max, etc). Some things I liked that still take place in the weight room:
Lunges, side lunges, split squats (all higher reps and/or explosive)
Explosive/hiit type cardio for endurance
Stretching. Simple but there really is no substitute.
Balance exercises. Things on balance balls, etc. can be weighted or body exercises but it's about creating an unstable platform to help enhance all of your stabilizing muscles.

One other area that is always forgotten is core work. So much of your endurance is due to your core and it's always forgotten since it's not the actual muscle you're using.

For the pop up you might want to add some explosive push-up type movements as well as some swimming/rowing drills.