AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been really working on mobility for the past month. I have become more mobile and I feel so much better. One of the things I do is side leg swings. I don't know if that is the correct name, but basically I just face forward, hold onto something and swing my legs, one at a time, from left to right. I go as as as I can without over reaching. I have noticed when I do this, I can feel my hip, if that makes sense. Almost as though it is cracking. It does not hurt at all or provide any discomfort, just wondering if I am overdoing my mobility work and if this is because I am becoming more mobile and flexible.

MTPMJM

MTPMJM

Awards
  • Established
I went through a period of time where I was doing lowerbody mobility 2-3 times per day and ending up feeling like **** in the hip flexor region... so if you feel like you're overdoing it, it may be a warning sign

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sounds like your hip is setting into place. Look up Chris Duffin's airplanes, they've helped me a great deal.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
I have not had that happen to me. Doing mobility work 2x a day for a long time now and the only side effect is when skipping it, I feel anxious and want to stretch / flex the muscle like it hasn't before. It's a weird feeling

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like your hip is setting into place. Look up Chris Duffin's airplanes, they've helped me a great deal.
This is what I was thinking.

However, today, I over did it. I went to do my leg swings after foam rolling and doing mobility work and felt a little discomfort. I've diagnosed myself with a strained hip flexor. I've been doing this mobility, stretching, and foam rolling daily and think I did too much.I'm not in any pain. Just some tightness when I try to raise my leg up really high. Hopefully I can squat and deadlift on Tuesday. I may even cut back the mobility and stretching to 4 or 5 days per week instead of 7.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is what I was thinking.

However, today, I over did it.
I've learned most of everything I know about mobility from Donnie Thompson. Check out his hip mobility videos on YouTube and try that stuff. Do.the post squat routine after squat and deadlift day and do the rest every day. Ten to twenty minutes a day is reasonable and sustainable. But you can only improve so fast. It took years for your hips to lock up, you can't undo all of that in days or weeks.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've learned most of everything I know about mobility from Donnie Thompson. Check out his hip mobility videos on YouTube and try that stuff. Do.the post squat routine after squat and deadlift day and do the rest every day. Ten to twenty minutes a day is reasonable and sustainable. But you can only improve so fast. It took years for your hips to lock up, you can't undo all of that in days or weeks.
Will look those up later tonight!

My hip feels a lot better today. A little tightness this morning, but none now. I was able to stretch and what not post workout today. I just avoided leg swings since that did me in yesterday.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Thats great! I havent seen any of those vids before. I been relying on mobiltywod which has helped me a lot. like the couch hip stretch which is awesome to do before and after squats to open the hips up.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
For a couple of days I've been doing the Donnie Thompson hit mobility workout. Pretty damn effective. I tried it pre and it inhibited my workout a bit, as everything was just a bit too loose during the workout for my liking. Moved it to after and I really like it.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Yep, that's the danger of holding a stretched position for too much before training. I like to leave that for after. it helps with reducing soreness as well that way.