squatting and bad knees

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, I'm slowly coming to accept that I just can't do heavy squats anymore. I'm 44 yrs old, and my knees just aren't cooperating these days. I can do light squats without too much pain, so I'm thinking of just going very high reps with very light weight - no more than 95 lbs (and that's pushing it). I miss not being able to squat with heavier weight, but that's just the reality of my situation now.

I'm wondering what other people in my situation are doing to keep their legs built up. I know squats are king, but also know it's not the only thing that is effective. Keeping some size on my legs/hips/glutes is my main goal. I can't do lunges, either, and don't have a leg press machine (I work out at home). Really any type of movement with any significant resistance that requires stress on the knees is getting to be too painful. I'm going to look into a sprinting workout, as well, but I'm not sure how effective that will be for size.

Really just looking for feedback and what has worked well for some of you with bum knees.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
you can squat with bad knees still. squats should help them feel better, in most instances.

first, start to box squat. really push the hips back and go hi. as you start to ingrain this new movement pattern you can add weight and go lower. over time you can even start squatting without the box [sometimes].

also please post a video of you squatting so we can determine if there is a technique issue.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I vaguely remember a paper that examined torque at the knee in a squat vs leg extension and the squat was the one with less torque at that joint.

Squats really get a bad rap IMO

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I agree with the above - squatting can be helpful to your knees. Form MAY be the issue. I do know, however, that knee issues can be problematic once they develop and it's easy to say they should help when I am not the one with the pain. I see so many people in their 40's and beyond that complain about bad knees nowadays and I think it is from all the sitting, lack of exercise and ultimately lack of strength around the joint. The knee is designed to take SOME of the load, muscle should help take some of the load too - but if you are weak, your knee takes even more of the load and the joint can't compensate.

I think uploading a video with light weight may be helpful so we can look at the form. It may be helpful to back off on the weight and view this more as rehab and work your weights back up. As suggested above - box squats and attention to form should be much more important than weight.

Having said all of that, I feel that pre-exhausting my quads before squats is helpful - but leg extensions may make your knee feel worse. Many people claim that the legs respond much better in the 10-15 or even the 15-20 rep range anyway, so lighter weights may be the key.

And sprinting, I would think, would be the last thing you want to do if your knee is bad.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Look into TKEs and the forces from Knee Exts are worse on the knee than Squats but ROM plays a part. How much do you work you hamstrings?

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks guys - encouraging that I may be able to continue if I can dial in my form. I'm just a little concerned about making my knees worse. I have noticed that if I follow a very specific plane of vertical motion throughout my squat, the pain is minimal. The problem is that this motion is so specific, that it is hard to replicate from rep to rep. Furthermore, I don't know if this specific plane of motion would be considered good form or not. I do know that there are some reps where if I don't hit this specific form, it hurts - real fuggin bad!

I'll continue with the light weight higher rep work for now, and see if I can get a video posted soon. Thanks for the feedback!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
.... I see so many people in their 40's and beyond that complain about bad knees nowadays ........
I am 41 and i have a bad knee. yay, i am one of those.

squatting several times a week helps my knee. it is when i don't squat that my knee hurts. i have also added nearly 100lbs to my squat since my injury so there is hope.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I am 41 and i have a bad knee. yay, i am one of those.

squatting several times a week helps my knee. it is when i don't squat that my knee hurts. i have also added nearly 100lbs to my squat since my injury so there is hope.
My body is that way. haha I feel so much better when I train than when I have had to take forced time off. I feel my age or older when I don't train.