Need a new program

frofan

Awards
A quick background. Been lifting for over 10 years, 34 years old, 165 lbs. I'll be cutting back my cals for a cut starting next month. Looking to get that ripped vascular look. I can only workout Mon-Fri first thing in the morning. Currently on a 5 day split...

MON-Chest, TUE-Back, WED-Legs, THU-Arms, FRI-Shoulders

I'm looking to maybe try HIT or hit each body part twice a week to switch things up. Suggestions?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
PHAT

Hit each bodypart with both power and hypertrophy

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mountain Dog, fo sho.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Either PHAT or a variation of 5/3/1. Those are my two go to programs.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
PHAT

Hit each bodypart with both power and hypertrophy
Exactly what I was going to recommend. I was running PHAT before I knew it existed.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
I am currently doing a semi-PHAT program if you can call it that. MON-upper body heavy weight/3-5 rep range. TUE -lower body heavy weight/3-5rep range.
Rest WED. THU&FRI are a repeat of Mon/Tue except with lighter weight/8-12 rep range and even 20 reps on selected exercises like for quads and calves. I find this to be pretty effective ...4 days a week provides 2x weekly stimulation and enough rest to recover properly. So far so good ;)

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You could do something like monday-chest/tris, tuesday-back/biceps, wednesday-legs/shoulders, thursday-chest/tris/bis, friday-legs/back
That would be an interesting one but wouldnt give much rest for your legs ha

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
Sometimes you don't need a whole new workout, just a few new exercises. During hockey season I will swap out power cleans for deadlifts on my hypertrophy days and landmine presses for overhead presses. Just changes up things enough to keep them interesting.

physical

Awards
I also recommend PHAT. Since you are going to start up a cut I wouldn't recommend anything that is based around strength increase. However, when you get back onto a maintenance or increased calorie diet take a look at Candito Strength Training.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PHAT is awesome, I'm a big fan of PRRS as well to bust through plateaus

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
maybe i am biased, but you want to cut and you weigh 165lbs..... how tall are you? what is your current BF measurement?

JSNeves

JSNeves

Awards
I think phat is great program.... But going from a Bro split to hitting everything twice a week with a ton of volume while on a calorie deficit is a terrible idea

Also disagree with avoiding striving for strength gains while on a cut. if your coming from more stereotypical bodybuilding work upping the intensity with more moderate volume is a great plan, and you can gain some good strength you can put to use when you go back to building muscle

Look at an upper/lower split

fitbanker

fitbanker

Awards
Just switched from superset-based, entire body 2x/week to PHAT. Was looking for volume training but had made some nice strength gains and didn't want to lose so went with phat. The power days on Monday and Tuesday are good and the hyper days Thurs - Sat give me something to look forward to at the end of the week. Layne Norton adds Saturday to his split so im trying it but may condense to hyper days Thursday and Friday. So far really likening the entire program. Been lifting for 15+ years and tried most routines. This is now my Go-To !

http://www.shreddedknowledge.com/home/dr-layne-nortons-phat-workout/

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Sheiko is where it's at :)

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Sheiko is a highly specialized program meant power lifters with great work and recovery capacity. Most power lifters don't even run it.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Sheiko is a highly specialized program meant power lifters with great work and recovery capacity. Most power lifters don't even run it.
It's definitely intense and it definitely works. I just started my 7th week and the strength gains are great.