40 yard dash and leg day

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lets say you haveing everything pefect on diet, sleep, streching, form and every other day on workouts. What would be, in your opinion, the best leg day with set and rep ranges for increasing your 40 yard dash?

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh and you are already powerclean and snatching on different days

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Focus on making those hips explosive. Sets and reps for a leg day??? There isnt any such thing as thing as Performance coaches will all have their own Philosophy and model. What have you done already? Theres a big difference from throwing out random ideas and actually modifying whats already on your template.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Focus on making those hips explosive. Sets and reps for a leg day??? There isnt any such thing as thing as Performance coaches will all have their own Philosophy and model. What have you done already? Theres a big difference from throwing out random ideas and actually modifying whats already on your template.
Typical leg day
-Squat ass-to-grass 4 sets 8,5,5,3(this isnt including warmups so those are all heavy)
-Rdls 3x8
-Idk what it is call but you start on toes and knees and explode up onto your feet into a deep squat 3X5
-Leg press 4x3 (heavy as crap)
-Good mornings(with bar on back REALLY light) 3x12
SUPER SET
-Leg extension and curls 3x8
SUPER SET
-Hip adductor and abductor machine 3x15

P.S. I power clean and snatch on chest day and dealift on back day

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would be adding in more plyo work to get yourself better at exploding off the line.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Typical leg day
-Squat ass-to-grass 4 sets 8,5,5,3(this isnt including warmups so those are all heavy)
-Rdls 3x8
-Idk what it is call but you start on toes and knees and explode up onto your feet into a deep squat 3X5
-Leg press 4x3 (heavy as crap)
-Good mornings(with bar on back REALLY light) 3x12
SUPER SET
-Leg extension and curls 3x8
SUPER SET
-Hip adductor and abductor machine 3x15

P.S. I power clean and snatch on chest day and dealift on back day
drop the leg press, goodmornings unless it is on 1 leg, leg extensions and the make no eye contact hip machines.

before the squats start doing a variation of cleans and/or snatches. start with a variation that you can do the form properly and ease in to the full move after you have many months of experience and a good coach to help. next work on hip mobility and hip flexor strength by down hanging leg raises.

as for reps and sets. keep the reps low and explosive. it is not about going to failure but moving explosively. when you begin to slow down, stop that set, so 1-5 reps are a good bet. do as many sets as you can where you can maintain the speed and be able to recover from the workout without injury.

then do the squats as you are doing if you with or follow a 5x5 plan.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
For hockey explosiveness I have incorporated box jumps and single legged broad jumps into my training. I will also do lateral single-legged broad jumps but that translates more to skating than running. I also started incorporating a lighter weight, more explosive squat day. I'll put some weight on the bar and go down into the hole. I rest there for 3-5 seconds then try to explode up almost jumping at the top.

Don't discount hip mobility work either. Tight hips will always slow you down by making your strides shorter.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You should def look into Uni work

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It depends on the context. Is this for actual sports perfomance? Because if so your whole program will probably need an overhaul (the simple fact you label a leg, chest, back, etc day).

If not and you just want to improve it for the heck of it, then there isn't really a magic set/rep scheme or special exercise. Sprinting is a skill so to get better at sprinting you are going to need to sprint (sounds obvious but figured I'd point out the obvious) and specific skill work for it.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I've found running hill sprints to be helpful too. It really works the muscles that you use for sprinting in a different way. Once you get back on flat ground it just feels easier.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I think some box jumps, maybe some ladder work and some throws if you can find a way to do them. In the 40 it's all about getting up to max speed as quickly as possible, so you need to work on how explosive you can be in those first few strides.

Ozzy is consistently on point and I agree on incorporating some more hip mobility work.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Single leg explosive work is what I would aim for. You only run on one leg at a time so train that way.

Single leg presses, bb Bulgarian split squats, lunges, etc. all explosive and powerful.

And make sure you're not neglecting hamstring work. Don't wanna unbalance your legs and pull a hammy when you do run.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Unless you have a coach well-versed in the Olympic lifts (no, your football coach is not...and your S&C coach probably is not either), don't bother. You won't be developing explosiveness, unless you're a rank novice. Just squat, deadlift, jump, and sprint.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Unless you have a coach well-versed in the Olympic lifts (no, your football coach is not...and your S&C coach probably is not either), don't bother. You won't be developing explosiveness, unless you're a rank novice. Just squat, deadlift, jump, and sprint.
Rubbish.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
To add to my earlier reference of Olympic lifts, it is my belief that most people just do not need to do the full ROM lift. Pulling from blocks or hang position is fine. Catching in the power position can help out people that have issues with ATG squats as well.

You can always add more ROM as you get more mobile and have better technique.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's actually what Chad Wesley Smith has his NFL prospects do. Jump shrug reverse curls with assloads of weight won't do nearly as much as box jumps, depth jumps, and explosive squatting and deadlifting at 70-80% of 1RM for sets of 3-5.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's your point?
That unless you have proper form there isn't going to be a lot of carry over to explosiveness.

There also is the issue of training economy. The time it takes to appropriately learn the Olympic lifts may just not be worth the benefit when you can do other skills that can have just as much if not greater transfer to the desired skill (sprint speed) that will take less time to develop.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I guess I missed where we just assumed the OP doesn't have proper form, knowledge of Oly lifts or access to it, and that a S+C coach wouldn't know what they were doing because it is just so difficult.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think anybody assumed or stated that. It started with "Unless you have all of that...then do this"

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Swim just stated they aren't worth the time to perfect for most for proper carryover (true) and you called it rubbish so it's ok.

I shouldn't have assumed. But OP also is doing weightlifting thrown in on a random body part split so sorry that I assumed such considering the difficulty and time it takes to master those lifts and not knowing anyone who follows a bro split that actually does them well (no shot at you OP if you do I'm sorry to have assumed falsely).