Really the best 5 routines for mass?

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Topic - saw the new thread post for AM and it listed SS, 5/3/1, MAX OT, Smolov and PRRS.

Seems like a lot of these are strength builders - and from what I've read most hypertrophy is really gained from the 8-12 range. I myself have used SS and SL as well as HST

I guess my main question is - if I'm losing out a lot by not doing lower rep ranges. And I ask mainly because I've injured my right shoulder and it holds me back on most if not all chest and shoulder exercises - so all I can really do is high rep stuff and really focus on the contraction vs going really heavy.

Again I have answered this same question for others - but it's been about 6 weeks since I've hurt my shoulder - I keep trying to tailor my routines around the injury but ultimately get dissatisfied with my inability to increase weight as most programs direct and it's causing me to get a bit lost in my training program. So I would love some advice.

Man that kind of changed around didn't it =\ anyways, thanks.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
While adding in strength days adds to the value, if you cannot do them then it automatically rules them out until the underlying issue is fixed. Work with what you've got rather than worry about what you cannot.

In saying that, 5/5, 5/3/1 and others are good, IMO for beginners (SS) and intermediate people looking for an increase in strength primarily but they are self limiting in that they tend to limit the rep ranges used. The best programs, IMO, are those than utilise rep ranges from 2-15 and understand the benefits of doing so. No plan can cover all aspects adequately, as focuses on too much results in little progress in all (this is why we periodise).

With that said, PHAT gets my vote for all round best program currently available.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Maybe I'll just have to try me some PHAT - and see how bad it messes my shoulder up if at all (I know it will) I may just have to select the right exercises.

compudog

compudog

Awards
I've been working with a shoulder injury since dec, it's not good, I was planning on competing at bench press in a provincial PL contest in July but that's not going to happen.

So my advice is, forget about rep ranges or indeed, making any progress at all, and focus instead on rehabbing it. You'll make a lot better progress once you're fixed up. Just ask yourself, can you get bigger and or stronger than you were when you injured it, while you're still in an injured state?

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
I've been working with a shoulder injury since dec, it's not good, I was planning on competing at bench press in a provincial PL contest in July but that's not going to happen. So my advice is, forget about rep ranges or indeed, making any progress at all, and focus instead on rehabbing it. You'll make a lot better progress once you're fixed up. Just ask yourself, can you get bigger and or stronger than you were when you injured it, while you're still in an injured state?
Tears. I know. Just makes me so sad. I wanna make sick gains.