Cardio After Leg Day

D

DB1219

Awards
I like to do 20-30 minutes of cardio prior to my upper body workouts. This means I am doing cardio after leg day. Would I better off to let legs rest after squat day? I am not in love with cardio, just do it to burn a few calories.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I just did cardio after my leg day. I wanted to kill myself. Get a good playlist and push harder... Do whatever it takes right?

D

DB1219

Awards
I did too. I guess I'm wondering if running the day after on recovering leg muscles (day after, mild sorness) would interfere with the fast twitch muscle development. I am not a power lifter, just looking to build size. Running (not sprinting) doesn't feel like it is really working my quads so I don't think its re-working the fast twitch fibers.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I did too. I guess I'm wondering if running the day after on recovering leg muscles (day after, mild sorness) would interfere with the fast twitch muscle development. I am not a power lifter, just looking to build size. Running (not sprinting) doesn't feel like it is really working my quads so I don't think its re-working the fast twitch fibers.
I personally find that cardio the next day although painful, significantly reduces my soreness if not eliminating it all together. I do cardio 7-10 times a week, so i dont even think about it anymore lol.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You might want to consider walking on a incline instead of running though. Sometimes too much cardio can interfere with muscle gain, especially if your exerting yourself too much on your cardio.

D

DB1219

Awards
I want your opinion. I currently do a 3-split. Leg day, shoulder/arms day and chest /back day. I am happy with this because each part gets a 3 day rest and essentially gets worked 2 times a week. Now, sometimes on day 4 I don't lift and save errands/chores for this day.
I am considering making day 4 a cardio/hiit/tabata day. Intense stuff. My goal, increase fat burning. I am at 15+%. Maybe then I can cut back on the cardio before lifting saving that energy for the weights. Your thoughts?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I want your opinion. I currently do a 3-split. Leg day, shoulder/arms day and chest /back day. I am happy with this because each part gets a 3 day rest and essentially gets worked 2 times a week. Now, sometimes on day 4 I don't lift and save errands/chores for this day.
I am considering making day 4 a cardio/hiit/tabata day. Intense stuff. My goal, increase fat burning. I am at 15+%. Maybe then I can cut back on the cardio before lifting saving that energy for the weights. Your thoughts?
Day 4 cardio like you said would be perfect. Also i would recommend doing cardio sessions about 6 hours from your weights. I personally do 25 mins stairs at lunch time, then lift in the evening. Or your could do am runs and afternoon weights etc. Or you could hit weights first then cardio following if you need to group it all together.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
My gym is upstairs so I consider walking down them after leg day to be a full cardio session. lol

compudog

compudog

Awards
I lift 5 days a week and do cardio 6 days a week. I'm 48 years old and today I did a half hour cardio in the morning and pulled a 455 lb deadlift at lunchtime. You're not going to hamper your gains by doing cardio after leg day, you're just going to get fitter and stronger, but you really have to lean into it and trust the process. Doing it halfway is just going to leave you tired and sore and with nothing to show for it. Give it a big "ALLAH ALLAH ALLAH", bust your ass, then get a good night's sleep. Rinse and repeat.

Levyii

Levyii

Awards
  • Established
I actually just did the stair master yesterday and Monday was a big leg day. I do NOT do cardio ON leg day though. My "coach" says it hinders recovery of the legs if you do it the same day. so he advises against it. Considering he won the Jay Cutler Classic in Boston 22 weeks after liver cancer resection surgery....I'll keep his advice :)

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My gym is upstairs so I consider walking down them after leg day to be a full cardio session. lol
Haha thats all the cardio i get as well. walking from my car to the gym as well