Back to basics

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Fellow members, I have been out for a week from the gym with a stomach virus , and can now finally almost eat normal again. Would it make the most sense to start back doing a basic full body 3x a week routine to build a foundation again. I haven't lost much were weight, but I'm that odd percentage of bf where I just don't know anymore what to do. Bulk/cut. I'm 5'5" 170-175 maybe 15-20% bf. You would think I would be short and stocky , but I think I'm short with long limbs, skinny arms and legs and narrow shoulders , chest is too big compared to shoulders and back gets wide but not thick in the middle no matter what I do. I'm usually a high volume person but I have not progressed much in years , I'm 34 , did too many cycles in my early 20s without building a solid foundation , I haven't cycled in about 5 years still would like to be about this weight and maybe stay at 8-12% bf , diet is not bad either, stress might be my biggest factor in my physique if anything. I train hard but just don't seem to get anywhere, might look awesome for a few days or a few weeks , change nothing then look completely different , like I don't even workout at all , any positive feedback please

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Short answer is keep lifting and be as consistent as possible.

If you are not making progress I highly recommend you start a proven program and not the full body workouts

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
True, thanks, I normally do not do full body, just a thought due to gettin back on track, I normally always have done typical bro splits. Can now only go 3-4 times a week due to family. But can't keep myself away from doing high volume or more exercises to improve certain areas

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
True, thanks, I normally do not do full body, just a thought due to gettin back on track, I normally always have done typical bro splits. Can now only go 3-4 times a week due to family. But can't keep myself away from doing high volume or more exercises to improve certain areas
Yeah I would pick up a good program and stick to it

You can work out fewer days/week

A great one to get a solid base is doggcrapp

RCL86

RCL86

Awards
  • Established
DC is great, I really liked it.

It also sounds like you need to work on your diet. If weight is fluctuating I would say so are your calories. It took me years to finally sit down and start counting macros and I realized how much time I wasted. Gains and overall wel being in the gym will be great.

Google a couple caloric intake calculators and see what your recommended daily intake should be, it's a starting point anyways and adjust based on your results

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
I hear ya , I usually am pretty good about the calories , macros. I think I just get screwed up cause I already have too much belly fat, along with a bad anterior pelvic tilt, so I do start to gain muscle rather easily when I'm on top of the macros however my stomach starts gettin to big quickly too, I Will feel big and happy with a shirt on but when I take it off I'm like oh ****. Trying to cut screws me up cause I lose my shoulders it seems like right away, so it's like maybe I don't have as much muscle as I think I have then it just makes me try to bulk again , a viscous cycle. So hopefully I can get this **** right by July or so , abs would be nice but I don't wanna have to start buying medium shirts again cause my larges and extra larges get to loose and make me look smaller , (I know I am a mess)

DB1219

Awards
Sounds like your not happy with your body fat percentage. I would prioritize fat loss. Many of us that lift fear losing muscle/size if we do this. There are ways to minimize protein/muscle loss while losing fat. There ways to lose fat and not starve or run your rear-end off. Read weight loss posts on this site for a start. Lots of good info on other sites too.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Follow a solid program. There's tons out there. Eat in accordance with your goals. Simple as that.