Training twice a day?

Shin Sprints

Awards
I lift Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays mornings.

I do some cardio on Wednesday and maybe Saturday.

I was wondering if I could add in some circuit training on the evenings of the days I lift?

I am about 12% bf and I am looking to get down to 10%, preferably lower.

Thanks.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As long as you're eating enough and your body feels as though it's recovering well, why not?

RCL86

RCL86

Awards
  • Established
Absolutely, I prefer cardio in the morning and lifting in the evening but either way.

Like stated, just don't push through your body telling you it needs a break.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
For me i train pretty hard so most of the time i dont have enough energy for another workout but if you do then thats good. haha i occasionally do abs in the afternoon.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
If you can eat to keep up with it and are sticking within your calorie requirements for your goals then you can do whatever you like :)

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
I lift Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays mornings.

I do some cardio on Wednesday and maybe Saturday.

I was wondering if I could add in some circuit training on the evenings of the days I lift?

I am about 12% bf and I am looking to get down to 10%, preferably lower.

Thanks.
work out EOD IMO, more mass. and = more fatloss too with the mass. to me your overtraining in my opinion. focus on diet for triming up, not workouts really.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
It just depends on how well you recover and how strong your diet is. I know it is popular with a lot of bodybuilders pre-contest to do 2-a-days, but I don't know about the circuit training aspect. I would think it is a strategy you could use short term, like 4 to 8 weeks, but I don't think it is an indefinite plan.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I train 4 days a week, throw in 2 a days sometimes and I run my dog 3 miles every morning, along with kickboxing, and with spring here, probably about 60miles of biking a week. So, I endorse. :)

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
I think it is a very good idea, but it would be a good idea to have the circuits match the muscles you worked that day and stay away from the muscles you are going to hit the next day.

If you are feeling beat up skip a cardio day or the second session.

Shin Sprints

Awards
I think my recovery is pretty good but for sure I think it is something I would have to monitor.

I would be having at least 8 hours between workouts and would like only do 2-3 days where there is a double workout.

Also, not something I am thinking of doing permanently, maybe 8 weeks to see how I react and what results I might get with the recomp.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
maybe i breezed through this too quickly but i did not see anyone bring up that diet will do more for you than 2 a days. it is not that 2 a days won't help but you cannot out train a bad diet.

Shin Sprints

Awards
maybe i breezed through this too quickly but i did not see anyone bring up that diet will do more for you than 2 a days. it is not that 2 a days won't help but you cannot out train a bad diet.
My diet is pretty okay...relatively low carb (around 150g), protein (around 200g) and fat (100-150g).

I have been a little more lax the last few months than normal but it is still pretty on point bar a few bingy Saturdays.

Part of the reason I am thinking of two workouts some days is to get me fully disciplined with tidying up the little loose aspects that have crept in.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
My diet is pretty okay...relatively low carb (around 150g), protein (around 200g) and fat (100-150g).

I have been a little more lax the last few months than normal but it is still pretty on point bar a few bingy Saturdays.

Part of the reason I am thinking of two workouts some days is to get me fully disciplined with tidying up the little loose aspects that have crept in.
Boom problem solved. You are not eating enough. With what you wrote you are getting 2300 to 2700 calories. I eat nearly that much each meal. I weigh 210 and I'm not trying to gain. as an example I dropped from 200 to 180 by beating 3000 calories a day on average and doing no cardio and lifting 3 days a week. My carbs over those 3 months were 17% of my total calories. I got about 180grams of protein a day and the rest was fat. So ya fat was around 50% if my calories.

How much do you weigh now?

RCL86

RCL86

Awards
  • Established
Boom problem solved. You are not eating enough. With what you wrote you are getting 2300 to 2700 calories. I eat nearly that much each meal. I weigh 210 and I'm not trying to gain. as an example I dropped from 200 to 180 by beating 3000 calories a day on average and doing no cardio and lifting 3 days a week. My carbs over those 3 months were 17% of my total calories. I got about 180grams of protein a day and the rest was fat. So ya fat was around 50% if my calories.

How much do you weigh now?
Is this a joke? The OP is looking to drop body fat and you're talking about eating 7-8k cals a day? and 50% of that is fat?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is this a joke? The OP is looking to drop body fat and you're talking about eating 7-8k cals a day? and 50% of that is fat?
He didn't say 7-8k in his post. And if you're low carbing it, then yeah, there will be more fat.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So he is only eating one or two meals a day?
He may have just been saying that to show that the OP isn't consuming a lot of calories. His post mentioned that he ate 3k cal and still lost weight. I guess I was confused where you got 7-8k from lol

RCL86

RCL86

Awards
  • Established
Oh haha, well if it was just an exaggeration than I apologize.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I only eat two actual meals and get in about 3500 cal on those alone. That is maintenance for me at 215. Sometimes I'll make them smaller and get in 3 plus a snack.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I only eat two actual meals and get in about 3500 cal on those alone. That is maintenance for me at 215. Sometimes I'll make them smaller and get in 3 plus a snack.
Im at 3000 for 200lb and maintain nicely. I get 1000 per meal eating 3x per day.

I still feel like im starving. My body wamts me to be fat I think

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I tend to feel hungrier when I break up my calories into more meals. When I eat two big ones, it holds me over really well. Plus, I love sparkling water throughout the day and that makes me feel full.

RCL86

RCL86

Awards
  • Established
Jeez I could never do it. I eat 7 500cal (+\-) meals a day, I have to eat constantly not to be miserable.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Damn I couldn't do only 2 meals a day. Haha I would die.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i will try to clarify.

i am guessing you think i eat 3 meals a day... sometimes. i currently eat 5-6k a day, mostly via 2 meals a day. i fell off my IF diet by eating a small breakfast a while ago. the point is that is just the maintenance calories for a 41yr old guy that likes to workout that is not trying to cut or bulk. does that make sense?

when i was trying to shed fat about 18 months ago to compete at 181, yes, nearly 50% of my dietary intake was from fat. why not? we all know that eating lots of sugar is way to bad health and fat gain. i wanted to be healthy and shed fat but i needed to fuel myself so i went with the only other choice, dietary fat. my fat intake is just as high now but the percentage of fat intake is much lower due to an increase in total calories.

my point in all this is that the OP is not eating enough calories and if he wants to shed fat he needs to fix his body by fixing his diet. read up enough of diet and you will find plenty of instances that eating too few calories will cause the body to hold on to body fat. especially if your diet is mostly carbs.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
So he is only eating one or two meals a day?
when i am shedding i follow an intermittent fasting diet. i eat in a 6-8 hour window which allows for 2 meals when i include interruptions like work, being a single father, etc. when you up your fat intake your body stops relying on instant fuel from carbs and gets much better at using body fat as fuel. your body cannot use body fat as fuel if it is storing fat due to high blood sugar levels and therefore a raise in insulin.

sure it was tough at first. i basically had to go through detox from minimizing carb/sugar intake. just like research has shown would happen. it took about as long as expected, a month. after that i started to have a harder and harder time stomaching carbs, especially sugary types. after i went past that month and the fog i was experiencing lifted i slept better, had more energy during the day even after hours of no food intake, and my workouts started to come back to when i would carb up during my workouts.

Shin Sprints

Awards
150g C, 200C, 150g F is 2750 calories....it was ballpark numbers to give guideline...I eat around 2500-3000 a day.

I eat 3-4 times a day.

I weight 165 and am about 12% bf...just looking to lean out a bit without dropping too much weight, hence I would want to recomp a bit and was wondering if some days with added circuit training in the evening might help.