Keeping focused

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
How do you keep focused on staying and executing your routine after months and months of training, food prep, supplements, exhaustion, etc.?

I usually grind hard for 1 year and then get tired and have ended up going months without going to the gym and loosing it all. These last 2 years I have had more success and seen more results than ever before, but I'm noticing myself double take at the snickers bar 2 for 1 at the counter of the grocery store more and more toward the end of this cut. I'm a driven and motivated individual, so that's not the issue.

So how do you do it? When you have 2 weeks left of a 12 week cut, etc.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Programs get stale?
Switch it up big time, opposite end of the spectrum

Working out starts to get dull?
Music. Get a new playlist and blast it.
Try new lift variations.
Get a motivated workout partner.
Get a trainer.

Cutting gets hard?
Try IIFYM within your cals
Use stimulants.
Satiating foods.

Cravings?
Again IIFYM
Try healthier variations of what you crave

^The latter is something I do every day.
Check my Instagram Driven2lift

turff49

turff49

Awards
Programs get stale? Switch it up big time, opposite end of the spectrum Working out starts to get dull? Music. Get a new playlist and blast it. Try new lift variations. Get a motivated workout partner. Get a trainer. Cutting gets hard? Try IIFYM within your cals Use stimulants. Satiating foods. Cravings? Again IIFYM Try healthier variations of what you crave ^The latter is something I do every day. Check my Instagram Driven2lift
Driven hit this one square on the head!

Instead of snickers make a protein brownie or cake!

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Programs get stale? Switch it up big time, opposite end of the spectrum Working out starts to get dull? Music. Get a new playlist and blast it. Try new lift variations. Get a motivated workout partner. Get a trainer. Cutting gets hard? Try IIFYM within your cals Use stimulants. Satiating foods. Cravings? Again IIFYM Try healthier variations of what you crave ^The latter is something I do every day. Check my Instagram Driven2lift
That was the issue before, so I hired a coach and have been doing his program the last 10 weeks. It has been awesome up until about a week ago when I started having cheat meals a little more often ("allowed" 1 a week. Having 3 or so). The music has been issue, to be honest but I did just download new stuff last night. I'm about to hop on pandora. I have been doing IIFYM this entire time, so that's not too big an issue, but I do hold my self accountable and I am very hard on myself.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Only the first few sentences of your first post. If you don't enjoy lifting, don't do it. Simple as that. If going to the gym isn't something you look forward to doing on a consistent basis, you need to find a new hobby.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Only the first few sentences of your first post. If you don't enjoy lifting, don't do it. Simple as that. If going to the gym isn't something you look forward to doing on a consistent basis, you need to find a new hobby.
I thoroughly enjoy lifting. I really do, but when you work 60 hours a week in industrial construction and planning for a wedding that is less than a month away, you are busy and exhausted. I've taken a few days off, and it really didn't help too much. 1 day helps, but multiple and I feel guilt and lazy.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
I thoroughly enjoy lifting. I really do, but when you work 60 hours a week in industrial construction and planning for a wedding that is less than a month away, you are busy and exhausted. I've taken a few days off, and it really didn't help too much. 1 day helps, but multiple and I feel guilt and lazy.
Life gets in the way, I understand that. And there's no harm in having periods of time where you're only hitting the gym 2-3 days a week. There's no need for guilt. And you're working 60hrs/wk, that's certainly not lazy.

Reevaluate what your goals are, and make decisions based on that. The goals have to be realistic and take I to consideration your work / life schedule, but I'm certain you can swing it. Progress is progress, no matter how small.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Life gets in the way, I understand that. And there's no harm in having periods of time where you're only hitting the gym 2-3 days a week. There's no need for guilt. And you're working 60hrs/wk, that's certainly not lazy. Reevaluate what your goals are, and make decisions based on that. The goals have to be realistic and take I to consideration your work / life schedule, but I'm certain you can swing it. Progress is progress, no matter how small.
Good perspective brother. Thanks.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I absolutely get this topic and used to be tough on myself, only to find that it was self defeating.

Some people get into the mindset that a missed session, poor week, period of eating poorly, staying up too late, etc is detrimental. This tends to lead to a mindset that things need to always stay on track and usually heads towards burnout. It's important to understand how resilient we are and not dwell on this stuff. Outside interests from the gym are extremely important, IMO. Using what you are building in the gym in another way helps to not be so concerned about a missed PR or whatever particular goal you are shooting for.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I absolutely get this topic and used to be tough on myself, only to find that it was self defeating. Some people get into the mindset that a missed session, poor week, period of eating poorly, staying up too late, etc is detrimental. This tends to lead to a mindset that things need to always stay on track and usually heads towards burnout. It's important to understand how resilient we are and not dwell on this stuff. Outside interests from the gym are extremely important, IMO. Using what you are building in the gym in another way helps to not be so concerned about a missed PR or whatever particular goal you are shooting for.
Nailed it man. That's how I am and I'm wearing myself out haha. I did 225x5 on bench last week felt great. This week I did it 3 times. Couldn't get the last 2. I was furious and blamed it on my "slacking off". I think I'm just stressing myself out. Preciate the reply.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Keep things in perspective. You are only 23 and have a LONG life of gains and setbacks ahead. Next month marks 24 years of gym life for me and I am stronger and fitter than ever and I have dealt with more failed lifts, missed weeks, poor diet changes, etc than I can recall, yet here I am with the same enthusiasm I had when I was 16.

You're all good.

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
You have to constantly spice things up.
Training wise, yes, you can change programs, but I do not advocate program hopping. Instead mix up exercises.
If neither work, switch to a fullbody split and hit everything with compound movements twice or three times a week until you regain your focus. That way you can hold onto muscle and only be in the gym around 2-4 hours a week.

A new supplement is also a great way to add excitement. For one you want to get the most out of the product so you are going to want to stick to your plan and two you are going to see better progress which feeds into motivation.

Diet wise you have to throw in some cheats here and there. Stay in control by making it planned and only one meal once or twice a week. That way you can throw in that snickers.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Bro i would take some time off. Keep your diet and do cardio and maybe even callistenthics. The weights are going nowhere, and with all the other stresses in your life it might be an upward battle for no reason. Remember lifting puts great stress on your body and requires your attention, energy and rest. If you dont give it that your gunna burn out. Good luck bro

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's a hard thing to comprehend and it took me many years to get it. Hell, even now that I have been doing it for years, I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it, but it absolutely, 100% works.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Get a goal and train for it. Rinse and repeat.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Get a goal and train for it. Rinse and repeat.
Sorry buddy, but you failed to understand. The plan was 12 weeks. I started feelin burnt out at week 10 and started getting sloppy. I took a week off, got on a pre w/o and now I feel great and refocused. Thanks for all your help guys