How to hit each muscle twice a week?

caleb91

caleb91

Awards
Hey guys i was wondering if anyone had a good split that would allow me to hit each muscle group twice? I'm assuming the most common answer would be a p/p/l type routine but was looking for any other options! Thanks :) Also new to the forum so i hope i posted this in the correct part

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys i was wondering if anyone had a good split that would allow me to hit each muscle group twice? I'm assuming the most common answer would be a p/p/l type routine but was looking for any other options! Thanks :) Also new to the forum so i hope i posted this in the correct part
I do:

Chest/ Back/ Arms &
Legs/ Shoulders/ Core twice per week.

3-4 exercises per muscle group (6-8 per week), varying exercises and angles and manipulating volume, advanced overload sets and intensity.

Works a charm

caleb91

caleb91

Awards
I do:

Chest/ Back/ Arms &
Legs/ Shoulders/ Core twice per week.

3-4 exercises per muscle group (6-8 per week), varying exercises and angles and manipulating volume, advanced overload sets and intensity.

Works a charm
i'm always up for something new and different, would you mind posting an example day for chest/back/arms? i love high volume so sounds like fun

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
i'm always up for something new and different, would you mind posting an example day for chest/back/arms? i love high volume so sounds like fun
Yeah man.

Chest:
Bench Press (for strength following 5x5).
DB press variation (twist or normal)
Flyes/ banded pushups/ Pec dec etc
DB row or single arm tbar
Pull ups
Lat pulldown (single arm, normal, straight arm, close grip etc)
Seated row or face pulls

JM Press
Ropepushdowns
Curls

Then the second time, I out the focus on back. So deadlifts, rack pulls, rows, pullovers etc.

I vary exercises for both days to switch it up. Each muscle group except arms and core takes a turn at being the workout focal point

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
PHAT is a proven program that works for your purposes.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I split it up like this and just rotate.
Legs
Chest and back
Shoudlers
Bis and tris

I throw abs and calves onto the end of a workout in whenever i have time.

Also a barbell routine, can be very effective using a base of only 4 classic exercises:
Squats, deads, overhead press and bench
3 times a week, 1 day off in between each workout

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sorry i just realized the last comment was for three times a week full body. Still great, but isnt exactly what you asked. Good luck bro

caleb91

caleb91

Awards
Thanks guys, im either considering a p/p/l or phat starting on monday. Ive been using a typical bro split and just want something new!

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do 5/3/1 with Dave Tate's periodization as assistance work (assistance work is 5 sets per exercise 10-20 reps)

M- bench (horizontal push/pull)
T-deadlift (hammies and PC)
Th- OHP (vertical push/pull)
F- squat (quad unilateral work)

It's a nice balance of frequency and volume

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
PHAT is a proven program that works for your purposes.
^^ that and programs like most 5x5 variations & 5/3/1 has many templates with 2+ days a week.

also, what are your goals?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I do 5/3/1 with Dave Tate's periodization as assistance work (assistance work is 5 sets per exercise 10-20 reps)

This sounds really good. I might have to borrow this soon.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

This sounds really good. I might have to borrow this soon.

caleb91

caleb91

Awards
For the past month ive been slowly increasing cals each week trying to lean bulk (working with a coach) but my ultimate goal is to put on lean mass first, not necessarily trying to focus on getting overall stronger, id like some input though, whether its phat or if i do PPL there are days that just focus on strength, a while back i hurt my shoulder and havent been able to or felt comfortable doing any type of pressing with a barbell and the only db type movements that feel really good are arnold presses and db flyes, so my question is on the strength days no matter what program, would i still be alright doing a 5x5 or something on like the flat or incline hammer strength? those dont put pressure on my shoulder like db's or bb

papersteroid

Awards
With legitimate eating routine, rest, and supplementation it is conceivable to get enough recuperation so you can prepare every muscle twice every week.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
You can try the Arnold blueprint. It's a fun workout with a lot of variation. I'd also recommend HST if you want something. Science based and straight forward.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
For the past month ive been slowly increasing cals each week trying to lean bulk (working with a coach) but my ultimate goal is to put on lean mass first, not necessarily trying to focus on getting overall stronger, id like some input though, whether its phat or if i do PPL there are days that just focus on strength, a while back i hurt my shoulder and havent been able to or felt comfortable doing any type of pressing with a barbell and the only db type movements that feel really good are arnold presses and db flyes, so my question is on the strength days no matter what program, would i still be alright doing a 5x5 or something on like the flat or incline hammer strength? those dont put pressure on my shoulder like db's or bb
Hey Caleb. I'm going through the same thing man - I recently went to go see a physiotherapist and he said my biggest issue is my flexibility (or lack thereof) and I've got exactly what you're talking about. Try starting a solid stretching routine every other day and it should get you back on the bench.

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
Good advice in here! I'm definitely going to try that training split starting this week. I've gotten used to training each body part once a week. I need a change

papersteroid

Awards
You can try the Arnold blueprint. It's a fun workout with a lot of variation. I'd also recommend HST if you want something. Science based and straight forward.
Good advice. I'll try this workout. Thanks Matthew.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I know a lot of people say you must have a rest day but a lot of times i may not take a rest day if i dont feel like it. I think if you eatting the right foods and the right amount and doing the little things to speed up recovery you may not need a rest day. So my workouts are usually
Chest/triceps, chest focus
Back/Biceps, Back focus
Legs/Shoulder, shoulder focus
Chest/triceps, tricep focus
Back/Biceps, Bicep focus
Legs/Shoulder, leg focus

So i'll have a muscle group that will be a focus and make sure i hit that one hard and then another muscle group that i hit but its not the main focus of my workout.

DB1219

Awards
I like to hit each part twice a week as well. The problem for me with push/pull is fatigue of the next body part and I feel like it gets shorted. Such as my forearms on pull day. If you can work out twice a day and focus on one part it's awesome but not practical for most. To minimize fatigue I do a back/chest day, shoulder/arms day, leg day.

So I modify it to opposing muscles - back/chest day - shoulder/arms - legs. I also like to hit big movements first while my energy level is up, even if I I go back and fourth from each muscle. Example: bench press, then pull ups. I then alternate a few more chest/back excercises.