Deadlift Critique Please

PlateHead45

PlateHead45

Awards
I just started deadlifting about 6 months ago and increased from 315 to 400. I'm very happy, but as you can see in the video, there was some major breakdown. Can you take a look and help me with that needs to be improved on technique? It seems like my back is rounding so I can possibly squat down a little more and keep my back more neutral and at a slight incline.

Whatever help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

[video=youtube;2UygmKQxoPc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UygmKQxoPc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am no expert, but you are not starting in the right position, IMO. Proper setup is a huge key. It looks like you may have long legs, but one thing that you may want to learn is that if you lean back a little more....your bodyweight acts as a counterforce and allows you to pull more weight. I feel like if you lean back more, your butt will come a little lower, your back will be a bit more upright and your starting position will be much improved. Others on here will hopefully have better advice...

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
tygatyga would be the best to answer, but I'll try. First off your lift off is off. You want your hips lower to start off. Sometimes it helps to contract the lats before you initiate the lift. Then it looks as if your aren't driving with your legs enough causing your back to round out and take unessecary stress

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
Your hips start high and you straighten your legs before you start pushing your hips through, so you end up doing a stiff legged deadlift then you have to hitch at around your knees to lock it out.

First you want to work on your setup like HIT4ME said. Mainly it just looks like you need your hips to be lower and to get tighter.
Then, and I think this is the simplest way to put it, you want to focus on locking out your leg drive and your back at the same time. Maybe even think of it as starting the lift with your back. That does not mean rounding or only using your back, keep it locked in neutral, you want to engage your back at the start. Then you will engage leg drive.

I do not know if I am wording it very well, so ask questions if that does not make sense.

PlateHead45

PlateHead45

Awards
Thanks a lot guys for your responses. I want to keep the hips high, but it seems like yes, they're too high, lower than a little bit and then have a better back angle and I guess try to leg press of the floor. Thanks a lot!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I was watching this again - you should watch some videos of people deadlifting. It seems to me that when you are starting, your back is parallel to the floor, and then you are straightening your legs and then standing up with your back - which totally eliminates the effect of bending your knees. You may as well just bend at the waist and never bend your legs at all.

When you setup, your torso should probably be more at a 30-45 degree angle to the floor. Your hips need to be lower, this will straighten your torso slightly. Then you can power off the floor with your legs AS you straighten your back, not doing one then the other. Push your hips forward as your legs straighten.

Again, also focus a little more on leaning back into it before you lift it. Your shoulders are past the bar, not over the bar. Line up your shoulders, hips lower, lean back just a little more (so that you're pushing with your entire foot - not just the ball).

If you watch your video, you will see you straighten your legs, lifting the bar off the floor, but you are still bent over completely, hanging the bar off the ground with your arms and your torso still parallel. Picture it more like you are squatting down to jump straight up and grab something you can't reach and you are going to launch.

PlateHead45

PlateHead45

Awards
I was watching this again - you should watch some videos of people deadlifting. It seems to me that when you are starting, your back is parallel to the floor, and then you are straightening your legs and then standing up with your back - which totally eliminates the effect of bending your knees. You may as well just bend at the waist and never bend your legs at all.

When you setup, your torso should probably be more at a 30-45 degree angle to the floor. Your hips need to be lower, this will straighten your torso slightly. Then you can power off the floor with your legs AS you straighten your back, not doing one then the other. Push your hips forward as your legs straighten.

Again, also focus a little more on leaning back into it before you lift it. Your shoulders are past the bar, not over the bar. Line up your shoulders, hips lower, lean back just a little more (so that you're pushing with your entire foot - not just the ball).

If you watch your video, you will see you straighten your legs, lifting the bar off the floor, but you are still bent over completely, hanging the bar off the ground with your arms and your torso still parallel. Picture it more like you are squatting down to jump straight up and grab something you can't reach and you are going to launch.
Awesome advice, next time I deadlift, I'll try and take another vid to see if I fix things. I'm excited because I feel with better technique I should pull a good amount more as well. We shall see.

Thanks again!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
One last thing, which coincides with what I said above - watch the video closely...at around 5 seconds you can see that you actually lift the heal of your right foot off the ground - you are pushing with the balls of your feet.

Proper form is like any movement - you get better at practice. It may be worth dropping the weight for a while and doing more reps, but concentrating on perfecting your form. The issue is, when lifting heavy weights, if the form is not totally rock-solid etched into your nervous system, you will make mistakes and that leads to injury. Repeating the movement makes the pattern more familiar, and when it becomes second nature your form will not falter, even with the heaviest weights.

You are a pretty big guy, and lifting 400 pounds the way you are says 2 things - you are strong and you are going to get hurt. I have deadlifted 450 for 1 rep, and I could never get 400 off the floor like you do.

PlateHead45

PlateHead45

Awards
One last thing, which coincides with what I said above - watch the video closely...at around 5 seconds you can see that you actually lift the heal of your right foot off the ground - you are pushing with the balls of your feet. Proper form is like any movement - you get better at practice. It may be worth dropping the weight for a while and doing more reps, but concentrating on perfecting your form. The issue is, when lifting heavy weights, if the form is not totally rock-solid etched into your nervous system, you will make mistakes and that leads to injury. Repeating the movement makes the pattern more familiar, and when it becomes second nature your form will not falter, even with the heaviest weights. You are a pretty big guy, and lifting 400 pounds the way you are says 2 things - you are strong and you are going to get hurt. I have deadlifted 450 for 1 rep, and I could never get 400 off the floor like you do.
Thanks a lot, great catch on my heel coming off the ground, never noticed that. I'll take all the advice I just got and I'll see if I can repair the underlying issues from here on out.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have a high center of gravity, so your hips are going to be higher compared to someone with a low CoG. Your setup isn't terrible, but the bar drifts away from you rather quickly. Your upper back definitely needs strengthening to correct that issue. As soon as you break the floor, pull the bar towards you and squeeze the glutes.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can't offer anymore advice then what's already been given. I start with a higher position as well, but not anything like yours. The advice given is sound, work on them and you'll be good to go.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
First off - I would say great job on the weight, that's a solid lift - but you need to stick your @$$ out more. Should almost look more like a football stance. Grab the bar, have it over the bridge of your feet. From their stick your butt out until your back is flat. rippetoe says to think " chest up" with a nice flat back.

Sentinel

Awards
I have been a member here for some years and despite my prior lack of input (and indeed entire lack of it now) I'd just like to say that there is an excellent range, and articulation, of advice in this thread that rival many a "Sticky" or pro article. Great contributions.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great advice ITT! This is one of the reasons why I love AM :)

joel22484

joel22484

Awards
As someone looking to work on my deadlift form as well, I appreciate all of your guys' advice.