Elbow tendonitis prevention of reoccurences

joshb12

Awards
Hello folks,

I have had tennis elbow (Outer elbow tendonitis) in both elbows that I first got around 5 years ago. I get it from time to time, but I've found that training to failure greatly increases my chances of recurrences.

I was wondering for those that have had it what you guys do to keep it away? Do you throw in reverse wrist curls- (palm down dumbbell wrist curls)? Do you just include several forearm exercises to keep the elbow strong?

I try and do a little bit of soft tissue work on my arms and back daily, but I was really just looking for more that I could do as a prehab/rehab option because there's nothing more annoying than dealing with tendonitis and having to take extended time off from building the upper body.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You could try icing after training maybe. light weight wrist curls and maybe some band exercise work and stretching would help. You could also supplement in some omegas and see how that helps. It would only benefit you. You can check some out at Strong Supplement Shop if your interested.
http://www.strongsupplementshop.com/essential-fats-fish-oils

roiddistro

Banned
Awards
Look up eccentrics I shall try find a reference

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i personally love calisthenics for this type f scenario. i injured my shoulder and i rehabbed it by doing exercises with bands, absolute rest, and calisthenics. they hit your muscles primarily, and your joints take minimal stress. sometimes you have to take a few steps back to makes leaps forward... i know you dont want to hear that, but it is what it is. good luck bro

DB1219

Awards
I had it in both for years. Cort. inj helped but it came back. I believe there is something to omega 3/omega 6 balance. I switched paleo eating and switched to good fats and oils and eliminated all vegetable oils/margarine. I also take fish/krill oil supplements. It took some time, but my elbows are pain free now. I don't believe they will ever be 100% so I avoid movements that put stress on the joint as a precaution. I believe your elbows are in a constant low-level state of inflammation. Get some good fish oil or try krill and reduce the Omega 6.

AscendoTuum

Awards
I had it in both for years. Cort. inj helped but it came back. I believe there is something to omega 3/omega 6 balance. I switched paleo eating and switched to good fats and oils and eliminated all vegetable oils/margarine. I also take fish/krill oil supplements. It took some time, but my elbows are pain free now. I don't believe they will ever be 100% so I avoid movements that put stress on the joint as a precaution. I believe your elbows are in a constant low-level state of inflammation. Get some good fish oil or try krill and reduce the Omega 6.
Thanks for the input! Having similar issues on my left arm right now, generally take flaxseed - will check out the omega balancing act to see if it helps.

DB1219

Awards
Here is a paragraph from Mark Sisson at Mark's Daily Apple:
To understand why that imbalance is so harmful, you have to understand eicosanoids. Polyunsaturated fats (which include Omega-3s, like fish oil, and Omega-6s) convert to eicosanoids in the body. Both Omega-6 and Omega-3-derived eicosanoids are important signaling molecules, but each has different effects, both figuring prominently in the body’s response to inflammation. Omega-6 eicosanoids are pro-inflammatory, while Omega-3 eicosanoids are less inflammatory. Omega-3 eicosanoids (the type we get from taking fish oil or eating fatty fish) actually reduce inflammation; in an unbalanced diet heavy in vegetable oils, the Omega-6 eicosanoids far outnumber the Omega-3s and contribute to a lot more inflammation.